Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

New Website (partially) Complete

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
missouriacademic

Post by missouriacademic »

The new address is: http://www.freewebs.com/missouriacademic

I'm still probably going to do some more work with it, but I figured I would go ahead and publish what I had done so far.

By the way, the new poll deadline is December 15. I'm anticipating more voters, and since we have some tournament results in, the new poll should be more accurate.

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

I like it.. It could use a spot for upcoming tournaments with a list of schools that will be there. Also email me at wcsq4f@umr.edu with what info you would like for the college page

tcarroll

Post by tcarroll »

It looks good, and it's a lot easier to navigate than the old one.

missouriacademic

Glad you guys like it; FreeWebs also has dozens of backgrounds I can use if needed, or if the current one just gets old.

For the college teams... I haven't really thought about it. Some tournament results would be nice, and a list of players. (Possibly, for those that played in Missouri in high school, maybe what school they played for?) Anything you guys could send would be great.

tcarroll

Post by tcarroll »

James, do you go watch a lot of the tournaments or just state?

DavidH

Post by DavidH »

The new site looks pretty cool, but it would be cool to a have a page devoted to tournament schedules, and team performance spreadsheets to make polling easier and more accurate. Also, when and how do we take the monthly poll?

missouriacademic

I try to attend as many tournaments across the state as my time schedule allows, which sadly is not many. (I went to about 6 last year, and haven't been to one yet this season.)

A tournament schedule page is coming with the next update, probably next weekend.

To take the poll, just fill out a ballot of the top 10 teams in each class, and send them directly to me via either email (moacademic@hotmail.com) or private message.

DavidH

Post by DavidH »

Is it ok to send a few less than top ten in each class... I really don't know some of the classes well, and even class 3 and 4 I could only name probably 1-5.

DavidH

Post by DavidH »

Just an idea... to make a top ten of each class is pretty ambititious... why not cut it down to 5... truly how can one say that they have seen enough teams to itemize 40 of them into 4 separate lists in order of assumed strength... I think 5 would be far more realistic, and would rid the poll of some less deserving teams like Notre Dame... for some reason placed as third in the last poll in class 3, but lost to Savannah allowing 620 pts and allowing 625 pts from WCA last year at state. I'd never seen them up to that point. Anyway that might be a bad example, but my point is that I don't think there is enough info available about teams to make a top ten list for each class. Also, a poll for the top teams in Missouri reguardless of class might be interesting.

mujason

Post by mujason »

Notre Dame was ranked third because they finished third at state, despite the beatings from Savannah and WCA.

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

yet giving up a combined 1245 to those schools NDCG still took home the 3rd place title

DavidH

Post by DavidH »

Sorry... bad example I guess... but I stand by the 5 team limit. 10 is just too ambitious.

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

is 10 to much for High School Basketball and Football too?

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

East Buc & UMR wrote: is 10 to much for High School Basketball and Football too?
10 is usually the number of people that are in the audience of a quiz bowl match, and that's being optimistic. iHigh, sports reporters, and cheerleaders smother all these games from stem to stern, plus more schools participate in basketball than any other activity in Missouri. We don't have stat gurus attending every tournament, taking down every note, and publishing them, although I can see Mueller making a living off this.

I can see why David suggests that 10 is taxing. I have no clue what goes on south of Missouri's longest interstate! (AKA Farty-far). I would suggest everyone name 6-8 schools (at least), and that way there would be enough unique entries to consider a full Top Ten list.

I'll be helping out at Northtown Dec. 4, so I'll get a grand picture of what's going on in Northwest Missouri.

mujason

Post by mujason »

I can't see how I can make a living of this, as I have no clue how to get paid to be the Mel Kiper, Jr. of quiz bowl.

L-Town Expatriate

mujason wrote: I can't see how I can make a living of this, as I have no clue how to get paid to be the Mel Kiper, Jr. of quiz bowl.
Either you can pave the way or marry well. Everyone loved Napoleon Dynamite, so there's about 30,000 brownie points in your favor.

mujason

Post by mujason »

Marry well? Of course that would solve any financial difficulties, but what are the odds of me getting married? Here's a list of all the smart and attractive women I know that wouldn't vomit at the thought of marrying me:

Lauren Witte (too bad she's at Yale)

Kind of a short list, I'd say.

DavidH

Post by DavidH »

This is going back to the polling topic... anyway this year for class 3, one team who gets no recognition at state and has a great team is Cameron. Thomas Morgan is a really good player... his only problem is Savannah has a good habit of beating his team at districts. Anyway although they didn't look strong at Smithville, I'm sure Thomas will carry the team very well. I would personally rank them in the top 5 in class 3.

L-Town Expatriate

mujason wrote: Marry well? Of course that would solve any financial difficulties, but what are the odds of me getting married? Here's a list of all the smart and attractive women I know that wouldn't vomit at the thought of marrying me:

Lauren Witte (too bad she's at Yale)

Kind of a short list, I'd say.
What's to say she won't come back to the Show-Me State? Do you two keep in contact?

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

10 is usually the number of people that are in the audience of a quiz bowl match, and that's being optimistic.
Once again when I played we filled the stands of the gym all 4 years I played... EB just has awesome school pride... as does the town

DavidH

Post by DavidH »

Savannah school pride is next to nonexistent... but its on a comeback... tonight our crowd went crazy at the our boy's basketball team debut vs. Lafayette. We won 57-56. It was pretty amazing. Anyway, pride in Quiz Bowl would be nice, but our school is more annoyed with quiz bowl than anything else as we are the only team state champs that our school has had in the past decade and no one respects it... our Basketball team hasn't even won conference since 1986... oh well.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Viburnum has school pride when it comes to basketball, but that's about it. We won state track in 2000 but no one really seemed to care, and of course last year's quiz bowl team didn't even get an article in the yearbook.

mujason

Post by mujason »

Didn't Viburnum place second in state in golf a few years ago?

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Yes. That one was ignored by the town at large as well.

L-Town Expatriate

DavidH wrote: Savannah school pride is next to nonexistent... but its on a comeback... tonight our crowd went crazy at the our boy's basketball team debut vs. Lafayette. We won 57-56. It was pretty amazing. Anyway, pride in Quiz Bowl would be nice, but our school is more annoyed with quiz bowl than anything else as we are the only team state champs that our school has had in the past decade and no one respects it... our Basketball team hasn't even won conference since 1986... oh well.
You guys need to be more aggressive. A couple Savannah alums up here told me that they considered the team "out there".

But yes, you guys need more respect. YOU'RE KEEPING ANDREW COUNTY ON THE MAP!

:P