Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Tournament Schedules

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Tournament Schedules

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Here's Savannah's as David posted on the WCA post:
DavidH wrote:Oct 16th: Missouri Western History Bowl
Oct 30th: Lee Summit North
Nov 13th: Smithville
Dec 4th: North Kansas City
Jan 8th: Truman
Jan 15th: Northside (Ft. Smith, AR)
Jan 22nd: Liberty
Feb 19th: St. Joseph Christian/UMR?
Feb 26th: Nixa
Mar 1st: Midland Empire Conference (MEC)
Mar 5th: Platte County (corrected date)
Mar 8th: MEC
Mar 10th: Maple Woods Scholar Bowl
Mar 11th: Maple Woods Finals (pending we win on Mar 10th)
Mar 12th: Cuba
Mar 15th: MEC
Mar 19th: Savannah Invitational Tournament
Apr ?: SMS History Bowl
Apr 2nd: Lexington
Apr 16th: Districts
May 7th: State
Anyway, here's Liberty's:

Oct 30: Lee's Summit North
Nov 13: Smithville
Dec 4: North Kansas City
Jan 8: Truman
Jan 22: Liberty (we're not playing since we're writing the questions)
Jan/Feb/March: KC Suburban Conference Quads (don't know the specifics yet)
Mar 7?: Maple Woods
Mar 11: Maple Woods Finals (if we win on the first day)
Mar 15-16: Suburban Big 7 Conference
Mar 19: Savannah
Apr 16: Districts
May 7: State

We aren't going to Lexington

:( because Spring Break falls that weekend... yet they're (the upper administration) making the band play at large group contest the day before... makes a whole lot of sense...

If quads is like it was two years ago, it's three different days. On each day teams play three other teams (they're held at different schools on the same day), so after those three days each team has played 9 different teams. Then the top 4 play in the finals to be Quad champion. It counts as four tournaments MSHSAA-wise, but since we're really only at 6(?!?!?!!?) it's not a big deal. I wonder why we're not going to Platte County...

DavidH

Tournament Schedules

Post by DavidH »

Note that Platte County is on the 5th of March... I made a typo on my original post. Others may exist on there as I made that list without paying much attention. It's accurate in general.

DavidH

Tournament Schedules

Post by DavidH »

I'm out till this Sunday for Thanksgiving. My family is going skiing at Vail with my friend and his family. Anyway, have a happy Turkey Day everyone.

East Buc & UMR

Tournament Schedules

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Have fun skiing it up in Vail

JimmyL

Tournament Schedules

Post by JimmyL »

it's official: we are going to NKC

does anybody know the format? I remember there being a worksheet round...

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Tournament Schedules

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

JimmyL wrote: it's official: we are going to NKC

does anybody know the format?  I remember there being a worksheet round...
It is a really funky format.
First quarter: 15 tossups, 10 points each. (Might be 20 tossups.)
Second quarter: Enough tossups to burn four four-part bonuses. Tossups still TPE, Bonii FPE
Third quarter: Worksheet round. 20 questions (usually all answers start with the same letter), TPE.
Fourth quarter: All remaining tossups (total of forty in each round) at 20 points each.

I'll be helping out there despite Jeff travelling to Rolla that weekend.

Best of luck to you, Jimmy, as also to all competitors.

L-Town Expatriate

Tournament Schedules

ScoBo1987 wrote: We aren't going to Lexington  :(  because Spring Break falls that weekend... yet they're (the upper administration) making the band play at large group contest the day before... makes a whole lot of sense...
Too bad 45 Straight "I" Ratings outweighs two state titles.

Liberty needs to go to Wash U or something across the state. Cross Country travelled to Minnesota (how they accomplished that I have no clue, that was probably at least 275 miles beyond Lamoni!)

LibertyMarie

Tournament Schedules

Post by LibertyMarie »

Bah, going to large group contest is a complete and total waste of time for Liberty. I was excited about not going this year, but nooo, we get to NOT HAVE SPRING BREAK instead...

Sweet, it'll be great seeing ya'lls at Northtown, Jimmy! Ooh, my first tournament of the season, and I'll probably get to play (as opposed to not playing at all last year)...too exciting.

um...the end.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Tournament Schedules

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

First of all, I'm sure you'll get your spot on the Panasonic team because of this. Congratulations.

Second of all, that potential $10,000 a year isn't helping. I won't be there, so I won't get to see you guys play. Second of all, if Liberty & PCH play, I won't be there, so it won't give an accurate indication of where we are. We'll just have to see how much (American) History comes up in any Liberty-PCH games. I don't remember if Allen gives out question packets, but if he does, I will look at any Liberty-PCH games to see what I had a chance at.

And who knows, maybe we'll win the whole thing and I might be deemed a worthless player (but of course I'm still needed to bug people about not writing questions! ;))

Jeffrey Hill

Tournament Schedules

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

LibertyMarie wrote: and I'll probably get to play (as opposed to not playing at all last year)...too exciting.
and with me gone, your chances are soooo much greater!

:) I know you'll do awesome!

:)

Jeffrey Hill

Tournament Schedules

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

What's the rest of PCH's schedule as of now?

Jeffrey Hill

Tournament Schedules

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

L-Town Expatriate wrote: Too bad 45 Straight "I" Ratings outweighs two state titles.
Well, I think it'd be better to skip this year and have straight ones with a year missing than risk getting a lower score with having only half the band

(Sheesh, I should have put this all into one post)

JimmyL

Tournament Schedules

Post by JimmyL »

We don't plan too far ahead....and I definitely don't know any exact dates, but this is an approximate schedule:

NKC
Wash U
Fort Zumwalt or a couple of other St. Louis Tournaments
Possibly one more KC...?
Cuba
Rolla...hopefully.

Districts
And if we beat Ladue...state. Damn districts is going to be tougher this year.

tcarroll

Tournament Schedules

Post by tcarroll »

Well, we don't go to that many tournaments... and none that any of you will be at, I'm sure. The usual suspects are:
North Shelby
Marshall
Mexico
Conference
District
Hopefully State

L-Town Expatriate

Tournament Schedules

tcarroll wrote: Well, we don't go to that many tournaments... and none that any of you will be at, I'm sure. The usual suspects are:
North Shelby
Marshall
Mexico
Conference
District
Hopefully State
Kirksville should try to go to a couple KC area tourneys. Lexington would be the best chance to gauge district foes.

DavidH

Tournament Schedules

Post by DavidH »

FYI Jimmy--- questions are usually at least semi-pyramidal. This is for the first and 4th quarters. ITs a well run tournament, and you will get to give coach Allen a chance to see you play. Anyway, I'm in Vail right now, and I'm not real keen to stay on the net while I'm here so I'm out.

tcarroll

Tournament Schedules

Post by tcarroll »

double post

tcarroll

Tournament Schedules

Post by tcarroll »

L-Town Expatriate wrote: Kirksville should try to go to a couple KC area tourneys. Lexington would be the best chance to gauge district foes.
We've had some pretty good competition at Marshall in the past: Rock Bridge, Helias, Mexico, Hannibal, etc. I don't know what it'll be like this year, since I think all those schools graduated some key people, and since none of them are in our district anymore.

Jeffrey Hill

Tournament Schedules

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

JimmyL wrote: Rolla...hopefully.
Are you trying to go to the NAQT Rolla (Feb 19 or 26) tournament or the regular one (Mar 5)?

DavidH

Tournament Schedules

Post by DavidH »

Savannah may (like 10% chance at best) go to Rolla in February to try to qualify for NAQT, but I think Luce gets invited because of his quiz bowl tenure anyway so we may not bother. Its not really up to me, but I'd like to... I love pyramid questions.

East Buc & UMR

Tournament Schedules

Post by East Buc & UMR »

David you may want to check that Cuba date. I think Durbin is running it on the 5th. which makes this even more funny we will get more teams then mizzou with a tournament 20 miles away HAHAHAHAHAHA

DavidH

Tournament Schedules

Post by DavidH »

I am going to Cuba... we may go to your NAQT tourny. But if we do... chacnes are I won't be there, because my mother is making me go to the NYLF on Law in DC. It's retarded... I have to interest or desire to become an attorney, but my mom is a paralegal and is very wrathful, so I have to go. So I think chances are not looking good now for us going to Rolla.

DavidH

Tournament Schedules

Post by DavidH »

and with me gone, your chances are soooo much greater!  I know you'll do awesome! 
Good to know you think so highly of yourself.

:P

East Buc & UMR

Tournament Schedules

Post by East Buc & UMR »

However Platte co. and Cuba are on the same date as is the regular UMR tournament

NorthplatteRyan

Tournament Schedules

Post by NorthplatteRyan »

Hello, board. wel our team isn't that good, but we have played savannah who is on here. They tore us up at Mowest. I heard about this so I'm on here.. do you guys like study for scholar bowl or is it just an activity for fun? our coach took us to Mowest for fun, and it seemed like 2 teams, Mound City, and Savannah were actually serious about it lol. I thought that was funny.

East Buc & UMR

Tournament Schedules

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Good ole North Platte::sigh::

mujason

Tournament Schedules

Post by mujason »

North Platte was good; they threatened Richland in the late 90s and Michael Moran finished second to me in scoring in our (Lincoln and North Platte's) district in 2001. I don't know how North Platte is now, but we'll find out soon enough.

L-Town Expatriate

Tournament Schedules

NorthplatteRyan wrote: Hello, board. wel our team isn't that good, but we have played savannah who is on here. They tore us up at Mowest. I heard about this so I'm on here.. do you guys like study for scholar bowl or is it just an activity for fun? our coach took us to Mowest for fun, and it seemed like 2 teams, Mound City, and Savannah were actually serious about it lol. I thought that was funny.
Welcome to the board where people eat, drink, sleep, and pray Scholar Bowl. All-Staters, national contenders, and all around friendly booksmart people await you.

Please refrain from asking Jason's agent, Gary Anderson, any questions you may have.

mujason

Tournament Schedules

Post by mujason »

I don't have an agent! And I'm not on steroids!

L-Town Expatriate

Tournament Schedules

mujason wrote: I don't have an agent! And I'm not on steroids!
Just checking. Everyone knows how wonderful Omega 3 Fatty Acids are.

;)

East Buc & UMR

Tournament Schedules

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Jason i would think I would know a little something about north platte being they are only 15 minutes from my house and in the kci conf. ::sigh::

tcarroll

Tournament Schedules

Post by tcarroll »

L-Town Expatriate wrote:
NorthplatteRyan wrote: Hello, board.  wel our team isn't that good, but we have played savannah who is on here.  They tore us up at Mowest.  I heard about this so I'm on here..  do you guys like study for scholar bowl or is it just an activity for fun?  our coach took us to Mowest for fun, and it seemed like 2 teams, Mound City, and Savannah were actually serious about it lol.  I thought that was funny.
Welcome to the board where people eat, drink, sleep, and pray Scholar Bowl. All-Staters, national contenders, and all around friendly booksmart people await you.

Please refrain from asking Jason's agent, Gary Anderson, any questions you may have.

Mound City and Savannah are both represented on here at least once.

And a good chunk of the posters haven't played high school quiz bowl for a few years, if that tells you anything about our seriousness.

MissCae

Tournament Schedules

Post by MissCae »

Actually, I think I'm the only one who doesn't play anymore. However, I do moderate at tournaments, write questions for tournaments, keep up to date on how Savannah's doing, etc. I still like quiz bowl a lot, I might coach someday, who knows.

Jeffrey Hill

Tournament Schedules

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

DavidH wrote:
and with me gone, your chances are soooo much greater!  I know you'll do awesome! 
Good to know you think so highly of yourself.

I meant without me there were basically two rotate-in spots instead of one, and she's done great at practice.

DavidH

Tournament Schedules

Post by DavidH »

I was just kidding; no need to defend yourself.

tcarroll

Tournament Schedules

Post by tcarroll »

MissCae wrote: Actually, I think I'm the only one who doesn't play anymore. However, I do moderate at tournaments, write questions for tournaments, keep up to date on how Savannah's doing, etc. I still like quiz bowl a lot, I might coach someday, who knows.
Well, our three most prolific posters have passed on to the realm of NAQT and whatnot.

DeckardCain

Tournament Schedules

Post by DeckardCain »

tcarroll wrote: Well, our three most prolific posters have passed on to the realm of NAQT and whatnot.
Actually, the top four, but then the next college player on the list is something like 15th.

wca

Tournament Schedules

Post by wca »

the #9 most prolific is not playing in college

Jeffrey Hill

Tournament Schedules

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Here's our updated schedule:

Oct 30: Lee's Summit North (2nd place)
Nov 13: Smithville (2nd place)
Dec 4: North Kansas City (top 8)
Jan 8: Truman (1st place)

Jan 22: Liberty (we're not playing since we're writing the questions)
Jan 29: Quad 1 (at Ray South, with Excelsior Springs, Hickman Mills )
Feb 2: Quad 2 (at Park Hill, don't know the other 2 teams)
Feb 9: Quad 3 (at Blue Springs South, don't know the other 2 teams)
Feb 23: Quad 4 (if we are in the top four of the first three)
Mar 7: Maple Woods
Mar 11: Maple Woods Finals (if we win on the first day)
Mar 15-16: Suburban Big 7 Conference
Mar 19: Savannah
Apr 16: Districts
May 7: State

I think that puts us at 11 MSHSAA tournaments (Quads are too far apart to be considered one tournament) Well, I'm definitely glad we added 9 or 12 games to the season. Wow... still a potential for about 35 more buzzer games this season...

:D

East Buc & UMR

Tournament Schedules

Post by East Buc & UMR »

I'm seeing a lack of a tournament on march 5th

Jeffrey Hill

Tournament Schedules

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

East Buc & UMR wrote: I'm seeing a lack of a tournament on march 5th

Yeah I know... who is going so far?

East Buc & UMR

Tournament Schedules

Post by East Buc & UMR »

most schools around Rolla, TJ and WCA are the notable schools coming from out of the area. We have about 20 teams total

Jeffrey Hill

Tournament Schedules

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Jimmy, do you guys have any intention on going to the regular tournament or is that economics contest ruling that possibility out?

East Buc & UMR

Tournament Schedules

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Right now we have 19 teams signed up. Not to bad with Cuba running a tournament only 19 miles down the road.