Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Changes at Oakville

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
OakvilleHSCoach

Changes at Oakville

Post by OakvilleHSCoach »

This week, I accepted a job offer as an 8th grade English teacher at Oakville Middle School for next school year (2016-2017). This is a move I have been considering for quite some time now, and I think and hope it will be a good fit for me. 

What does this mean for the future of Oakville Quiz Bowl? 

It would be difficult for me (but not impossible) to coach the team after I move to the middle school. We get out of school an hour later than the high school, and I am not sure if I would have the time to coach as I acclimate into my new position. However, since I founded the team, I would be crazy to leave without ensuring the program would continue on.

Fortunately, I have an awesome assistant coach, Kristin Pierce, who I am now passing the position of head coach to. She will coach all practices and tournaments, but I still intend to run/direct both a fall novice and spring varsity tournament at Oakville High School. 

Once I get my feet under me at the middle school, I would love to potentially start up a middle school team.

So, TLDR: I accepted a position at Oakville Middle School, and am stepping down as head coach for Oakville High School. This will not affect the tournaments that we host every year, as I will still be tournament director. I might start up a middle school team. #dynasty

scphilli

Re: Changes at Oakville

Post by scphilli »

Christina I think I speak for all of us who have been at your events when I say you have been an awesome force for both Oakville and the community in general. If there is anything I can do to aid going forward, please do not hesitate to ask!

MichaelMenkhus

Re: Changes at Oakville

Post by MichaelMenkhus »

Congratulations, Mrs. Whelehon! I'm excited for the future of my alma mater, especially if you drum up interest at OMS.