Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Practice Time

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
DavidH

Practice Time

Post by DavidH »

I was just bored and looking at an old post claiming that Savannah practices like 2-3 hours a day... thats not quite accurate. We practice for an hour a day 5 days a week, and we are expected to study a half hour a night... Some of us do this. Anyway, I just wondered what other teams do for practice/preparation.

JimmyL

Practice Time

Post by JimmyL »

JV practice, 1 hour, tuesday morning; varsity practice, 1 hour thursday morning

our practices are terrible and completely unproductive. for the past four months, we have been playing with the same questions we used for practice last year...so more than half the time, questions are repeated....and also....we allow nonstop buzzing it....so it gets crazy....basically....practices are a complete joke

an hour EVERY DAY??? Do you guys not have any other activities after school? i.e. sports

DavidH

Practice Time

Post by DavidH »

Academic Competition is a MSHSAA recognized sport. It's not an athletic sport but a sport none the less. If people can call fishing a sport, then quiz bowl is definitely one. Anyway, yes some of our players do play sports, so some days we split practices before and after school to allow for those in athletic sports/alternate activities to participate.

Ramza Goltana

Practice Time

Post by Ramza Goltana »

My team practices an ahour a day and I have of time. It doesn't get in in the way of hunting woodland animals with a knife. That's a sport, hiding in a tree, jumping on an 8-point buck, wrestling it to the ground with your teeth. Beats quiz bowl any day.

JimmyL

Practice Time

Post by JimmyL »

i see......

oh, and yea...I do agree that if activities like Nascar and Fishing are sports, then so is ac team. But I really don't consider them sports....

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Practice Time

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

1 1/2 to 2 hour practices on Tuesdays and Thursdays. They are pretty productive; we have a quiz nearly every time, generally on the latest Patrick's Press list

JimmyL

Practice Time

Post by JimmyL »

i think our practices could be more productive...but no one on our team would be enthusiastic about quizzes or tests or anything like that....so...we just answer questions with the buzzer every time. And it gets pretty annoyingly hectic, since people just start buzzing in and yelling random guesses pretty often.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Practice Time

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

I'n inclined to label them buzzer rocks, but the term might be too harsh.

tcarroll

Practice Time

Post by tcarroll »

we practice 3:15-4:30 on mondays and thursdays, but only one practice a week is required. she's flexible, too--once track season starts I rarely make it to more than half an hour total in a week, and some weeks I can't go at all.

Ramza Goltana

Practice Time

Post by Ramza Goltana »

your practices may be good or productive, it wont get you any venison.