Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Late Summer Open Mirror-Interest?

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
Mickey0R0urke

Late Summer Open Mirror-Interest?

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

So if VCU Open happens again this year, I'd be interested in having a Missouri mirror of it this year. If VCU Open doesn't happen, would anyone be interested in a different mirror of a set (of the side events that tend to happen in the summer, perhaps)?

Mickey0R0urke

Re: Late Summer Open Mirror-Interest?

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Going in a slightly different bent-if my class reunion doesn't fall on the weekend of August 8, I'd love to go to the Michigan mirror of VCU Open. Would anyone else be interested in carpooling to this if I can go?

Jason Loy

Post by Jason Loy »

I would love to play or organize a VCU Open mirror here. I wouldn't be able to go to the Michigan mirror.

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

Same here. My theater company is supposed to put on "All in the Timing" the week after the 8th, so I expect to be knee deep in rehearsal at that point. Michigan is probably out for me.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

So a Missouri mirror sounds good. After this weekend, we should try and figure out where to hold a mirror.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

I'd be interested in playing or staffing a Missouri mirror.

If this side event occurs, I'd really like to play that set, but there is probably more widespread interest in other potential side events, assuming such events are even feasible at a Missouri mirror.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

I'd probably be in Illinois by this point, but depending on where this tournament is and when I might be interested.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

I would probably be interested in playing a Missouri mirror of this also.

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

Jacob and I talked yesterday about possibly hosting VCU out at Washington. I have keys to roughly 7-8 rooms in the Middle School, and if we aim for late July/early August we should avoid having to deal with maintenance stripping/waxing the floors. I also have 3 good sets of buzzers plus 4-5 "so-so" sets that should work given a little TLC.

We're also fairly centrally-located and fairly accessible provided you don't try to drive here via Augusta Bottom road.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Soooo it's gonna snow in July is what you're saying?

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

Pretty much. I am the Snow Whisperer.

Truth be told, I can think of a lot worse names that I've been called.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

dwd50 wrote:Jacob and I talked yesterday about possibly hosting VCU out at Washington. I have keys to roughly 7-8 rooms in the Middle School, and if we aim for late July/early August we should avoid having to deal with maintenance stripping/waxing the floors. I also have 3 good sets of buzzers plus 4-5 "so-so" sets that should work given a little TLC.

We're also fairly centrally-located and fairly accessible provided you don't try to drive here via Augusta Bottom road.
August 8th is when mirrors can commence. Aim for then?

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

That sounds good. Should be the last weekend before teachers are back in rooms getting ready for the year - PD starts on the 13th.

richardyu

Post by richardyu »

Hi all

I just saw this thread; I emailed Cody a few days ago about hosting, but he hasn't replied. I'll keep you posted, unless there's a large preference to host it elsewhere (in Missouri).

EDIT: Just got the OK to run a site. Sorry I didn't consult with any of the other interested parties beforehand, but would people attend a mirror at Wash U?

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

richardyu wrote:Hi all

I just saw this thread; I emailed Cody a few days ago about hosting, but he hasn't replied. I'll keep you posted, unless there's a large preference to host it elsewhere (in Missouri).

EDIT: Just got the OK to run a site. Sorry I didn't consult with any of the other interested parties beforehand, but would people attend a mirror at Wash U?

It doesn't really make much of a difference to me where it's hosted; I'd still be interested regardless of whether this is held at Washington the city or Washington the university.

richardyu

Post by richardyu »

The announcement is now up on HSQB, please take a look if you're thinking about attending. Thanks.