Looking for study material?
Prepare for next season with thousands of packets FREE for study and practice use from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!
Need a new buzzer system? Apply for a $250 Matt's Buzzers grant!
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:03 am

Buzzer Systems 

Post Buzzer Systems
Starting a new Middle School team in Camdenton, and eventually HS as well, it looks like we are in the market for a buzzer system. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for the cheapest system available (yet still a reliable, useable system of course).

For a new team at our school, my plan right now is to start it as a club and let anyone who wants to play quiz bowl after school once or twice a week come and play with no commitment; later, when a tournament is coming up, I can have a try out amongst the kids who are interested in traveling to compete. The point is, I'm looking for a buzzer system(s) that can accomodate more than 8 players at once, in part also to pitch the purchase of buzzers to my principal as something other teachers can use for review games and such in the regular classroom.

The best thing I've been able to find are these 10 player sets which can be linked to make 20 player or even 30 player games for $300 apiece. Though I've also found on ebay the "QZ-825" units from China that are daisy chain style. A 16 player set can be purchased for $222+shipping iirc, and you can always add more individual buzzers to the daisy chain. These are obviously cheaper per player but I wonder about the reliability of a cheap buzzer system from China. Has anyone experience with this Chinese set? or have a different suggestion altogether? Or does anyone know of a used or extra system that is for sale?

Thanks,
C.J.

Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:07 am

Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)
Post Re: Buzzer Systems
I've never heard of the QZ-825, but I think I would avoid it. In addition to uncertainty about how reliable it is, being battery powered and having automatic reset are two things that aren't good for tournament use. I'd also hesitate to buy it on eBay.

I'm not aware of any complaints about buzzers from BuzzerSystems.com; I've had good luck with them when I've moderated in a room using one of their sets. I do not have experience with linking them together, so I can't say how well that actually works.

Anderson Enterprises has a control box that can handle up to 32 players. You could start smaller and add additional team boxes later. (I don't have any experience with that particular model, but I personally own 2 of Anderson's "table top" daisy chain 10 player systems; they are a good value for the money and are reliable.)

Getting one or more BuzzerSystems.com sets looks like a good option and while it might be a little more expensive overall, you would have the advantage over the 32 team Anderson system that you could bring three 10 team systems to a tournament (which could help offset some of the extra cost by allowing you to claim additional buzzer discounts at tournaments), while you could only bring the one Anderson system.

You should also look at applying for a $250 Matt's Buzzers grant.

Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:22 pm
Profile WWW

I second everything Jeff has said. The Matt's Buzzers grant would be a great opportunity to try and offset some of the cost. You can also recoup the money spent on the buzzers with buzzer discounts, so if you had multiple independent systems you could earn multiple discounts.

Anderson systems are basically the most reliable and intuitive sets I've used, and they are a good value for the money.

Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:59 pm

Jeffrey Hill wrote:
being battery powered and having automatic reset are two things that aren't good for tournament use.

didn't even notice that. best to forget about them, then

Quote:
You should also look at applying for a $250 Matt's Buzzers grant.

Already done ;)

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:41 pm