Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Coach of the Year

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
wca

Coach of the Year

Post by wca »

How does MACA select its coach of the year in each class? Does the coach have to be a member of MACA to be eligible?

East Buc & UMR

Coach of the Year

Post by East Buc & UMR »

i think it is just the coach that wins state. Last year Bill Luce won, and he has done the same thing for years

tjeffschool

Coach of the Year

Post by tjeffschool »

That is correct, East Buc. MACA awards coach of the year to the winning coach of each class.

I imagine it would be difficult to do it any other way unless somebody has knowledge of every team in the state.

East Buc & UMR

Coach of the Year

Post by East Buc & UMR »

It gets old, just becasue you win you get coach of the year. Personally I felt SJC coach should of got it last year. Taking a team that started maybe 3 years ago to 2nd in state. Should of warrented something, expesionally when TJ coach just wins with the same two last names.

tjeffschool

Coach of the Year

Post by tjeffschool »

Actually, I think it is a nice gesture for MACA to give the coach awards. At the present, they base their selection on which teams win the state title.

I also think your suggestion that the SJC coach deserved an award for the job she did was accurate. Noone would argue that she and her team earned their place at state.

However, what was the point of changing your cogent analysis into a put-down of TJ. If you were the coach would you say, "No you can't be on my team because your sister was a good player", or were you trying to suggest that we just woke up one day and decided we would win the state championship?

The fact of the matter is we work our tails off to be the best we can be regardless of the sirname of the player. And despite your assertion, TJ earned something too.

missouriacademic

Coach of the Year

Post by missouriacademic »

I like the gesture of giving coaches awards, but consider this. All four state championship teams from last year have great chances to repeat. I think they should try to spread the awards out a bit and give them to some new faces.

tjeffschool

Coach of the Year

Post by tjeffschool »

I agree whole-heartedly! In fact, I will see Larry Dixon at the district tournament on Saturday and I will make the suggestion to him.

East Buc & UMR

Coach of the Year

Post by East Buc & UMR »

The fact is it is not hard to win if you have smart kids (not much coaching there). In 2A football this year the 2nd place team coach won coach of the year. Because a 2 year old could of won with the talent centrailia has(they also won basketball and have a great chance of winning baseball) and Lawson came out of nowhere, losing the game 45-9ish. We know from exprience the Kinast and Porte are smart people, and in most families the younger kids are smarter than the older ones. It makes sense to give it to someone that has not won it before(more so if the winning coach is using the same kids or siblings) If a team that has not be a force before at state makes it to the afternoon there coach should win the award. However sometimes the winning coach should(luce 2 years ago, Bernie also 2 years ago etc. etc..)

JayChamp

Coach of the Year

Post by JayChamp »

I think the best coach is Craig Frutiger of Viburnum as this is his first year as a coach and has led his team far this year.

TruePirate

Coach of the Year

Post by TruePirate »

i think the Westminister coach deserves some props. Even if all he did was drive them around - 4 kids just started an academic team one day and now they are known throughout the state