Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Brookfield's coach

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
CentraliaCoach

Brookfield's coach

Post by CentraliaCoach »

On Monday, Pat Swift, Brookfield's Quizbowl coach, passed away after suffering a heart attack. I understand there are some logistical things to take care of with some tournaments Brookfield is scheduled to attend. I hope their replacement coach will contact you; if not, I should find out his contact info soon and I'll post that here. Be understanding in the next few weeks as this new coach and Pat's team transition.

More importantly, I wanted to say a few things about Coach Swift. Pat and I didn't start off well, but I quickly realized that, with his passion to see his players succeed, he was a great ally. He and I pushed our Conference to allow schools to attend more tournaments. He was quick to realize the positive impact high quality Quizbowl has on players, and this year he was bringing his kids to tournaments all over the state that used Nationals-style format. Pat wasn't one of those young guns whom MSHSAA often criticizes for being brash and arrogant. He was a man who ventured out of his comfort zone for the sake of his team. He was always beaming with pride at his team's performances thus far this season. All Pat wanted was for his team to make it to state this year, and part of me will be cheering for the Bulldogs during the Postseason this year.

Sorry if I posted this to the wrong spot. I can think of a place where this would be more appropriate, I guess: Pat's death = Things that suck.

Jason Loy

Re: Brookfield's coach

Post by Jason Loy »

Very sorry to hear this. I only met him a few times, but he seemed like a class act.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Wow, what sad news. He seemed really cool in my email interactions with him, and his team did really well the first time I saw them at something (Rock Bridge a week and a half ago). Does anybody know what's going on with the team? Because he seemed like he was definitely getting them to improve, I hope they can rebound from such a sudden loss.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

This is sad to hear. If you hear of anything fellow coaches can do to help them out, please let us know.

I am willing to bet the kinds of students who would participate on a team with him are going to be resilient. I will also be rooting for Brookfield to do well this year!

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

I can't believe this. I met the man not even 2 weeks ago and he seemed fine. And now.....I can't even imagine how much pain his team is in then. I really hope they find a way to rebound from this, they are a talented group of kids (I met a bunch of them at the Kirksville site of MOQBA Winter, and they seemed pretty enthusiastic about it).

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

Wow. My condolences to the team and the Bulldog community.

I hope they can locate someone quickly. I have a family friend who teaches at the middle school; I'm not sure if he has prior quiz bowl experience or the time to pursue it.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Wow, this is sad. Thank you for this information Ryan. I guess I'll send information regarding WUHSAC to their principal and work with him/her to figure out how to proceed if the team still wants to attend?

ChippytheSavage

Post by ChippytheSavage »

I never got to meet the man, but any quiz bowl coach that treats his players like I hear he has is good in my book.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Per Brookfield's principal, refer all info to Mike McBroom at mmcbroom@brookfield.k12.mo.us