Looking for practice material?
Find thousands of archived packets FREE for practice and study use at the Quizbowl Packet Archive!
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:10 am

Middle School Programs in Missouri 

Post Middle School Programs in Missouri
I got bored and tried to map out all of the middle school programs that I know of in the state. I used my contacts list and names of schools from MS tournament threads.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&m ... da6f553f0b

Feel free to fill in any gaps - I just used town names, and not school addresses.

I think everyone can edit it - if not, let me know.

Sat May 19, 2012 2:58 pm

Post Re: Middle School Programs in Missouri
I couldn't figure out how to edit it. Both Maryville and St. Gregory's in Maryville have programs. And Liberty wasn't included. But cool map. Really interesting to see. Someone should tackle a high school map.

Sun May 20, 2012 9:45 am

There exists, on MSHSAA's website, a map of all teams that have registered for Scholar Bowl. This map lists all teams that have played an MOQBA tournament this year by class.

Sun May 20, 2012 2:16 pm

Added the schools Chippy mentioned.

I was sure someone from the Northeast or Southeast would be able to help, but after seeing christino's map, I'm not so sure. Odd to see how much those maps overlap.

Is Notre Dame(Cape) really that isolated? I used to teach in Charleston and I helped with a tournament or two when I was down there, but it's very likely that whatever team existed folded years ago.

Sun May 20, 2012 5:31 pm

They aren't as isolated as they look. This is strictly a map of teams that played our pyramidal tournaments. We haven't been able to organize a tournament yet in Cape Girardeau, primarily because there is not a college team in the area to introduce the style, and no high schools in the area have stepped up to host their own event. There are lots of active teams in the area though, they just play speedcheck MSHSAA format events. That's the case with a lot of other parts of the state we have trouble attracting teams in (NEMO, Kansas City, Springfield, and Joplin in particular)

Sun May 20, 2012 5:41 pm

Most NEMO schools have middle school teams (I know for a fact that Kirksville has one-some of the high school kids have siblings on the middle school team). It's just, like Charlie said, they only play crappy MSHSAA speedcheck format.

The quads (or whatever that system is called-it's the bane of my quiz bowl existence) also don't help with this. Especially since they use Questions Galore. Still. :shock:

Sun May 20, 2012 8:52 pm

To clarify, I was specifically describing the high school circuit, although yeah, it applies to almost all middle school in Missouri.

Sun May 20, 2012 8:58 pm

Not to intrude here, but the school administration approved our layout for an Unofficial NAQT tournament next year. A lot of specifics are still pending, but it looks like for now, we are going to be drawing up some teams from NW Missouri for a very creative tournament setup.

Sun May 20, 2012 9:45 pm

Kyle, good to hear that the tournament has the go-ahead from the administration. I've heard some really wacky ideas during my involvement in quiz bowl, so forgive me if the mental alarm goes off in my head when I hear "very creative tournament setup". As you said, you don't have the specifics worked out yet, but please feel free to run any ideas by experienced tournament directors, especially ones that you suspect are unconventional.

Speaking as a moderator: does this tournament have some kind of middle school component, seeing that this is the middle school section of the board?

Sun May 20, 2012 10:09 pm

Oh, sorry about that Jason. What brought me here was Charles's post about the high school circuit being down near areas like KC. I'm never diligent about keeping on topic here. If you want to move it to another thread, go ahead, but that -and what I put below this above explanation- will be all I have to say on the subject.

Quote:
forgive me if the mental alarm goes off in my head when I hear "very creative tournament setup".

Maybe I shouldn't say setup...the setup is going to be a standard round robin, like normal. Maybe a "very creative tournament idea" is the better word. The cat can't be let out of the bag just yet, though! :D

Mon May 21, 2012 6:21 am

I'm hoping I can ramp up South Callaway's involvement, both at the middle school level and the high school level. I think they are interested in having me lead the program.

Tue May 22, 2012 3:36 pm