Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Rebounding bonuses

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments

Which of the following best represents your view on rebounding bonuses?

1 - I strongly prefer rebounding bonuses and think that most if not all tournaments should have them
26%
2 - I weakly prefer rebounding bonuses but do not mind if a tournament does not have them
48%
3 - I have no strong opinion either way
4%
4 - I weakly prefer non-rebounding bonuses but do not mind if a tournament has them
15%
5 - I strongly prefer non-rebounding bonuses and think that few or no tournaments should have them
7%

Total votes: 27

DeckardCain

Rebounding bonuses

Post by DeckardCain »

Something I've been curious about for a while is whether people prefer rebounding or non-rebounding bonuses. I'll chime in with my own views later, but for now, vote on and discuss the issue here.

socalcaptain

Re: Rebounding bonuses

Post by socalcaptain »

I chose option 2, and I think for me it's an issue that as a player, I'm always frustrated when the other teams gets a bonus I would know, and then doesn't know the answers. Just something I've noticed while playing.

I really don't mind at all if a tourney doesn't have them; from a philosophical standpoint it's all the same to me.

Jason Loy

Post by Jason Loy »

I voted for option 2. I'd rather reward knowledge over speed when given the opportunity. Like Alex said, it's frustrating to watch a team bagel a bonus that you knew because you lost a buzzer race. It took me a while to come to this opinion, probably because I came from a region where rebounding bonuses were unheard of. One qualm I do have is that about rebounding bonuses is that it's possible to benefit (or lose less ground, actually) by declining to answer a tossup. Plus, my team really, really likes them. However, I have no problem with slight rule and format changes within the 20/20 format, and if a TD wants to reward teams that are quicker on the buzzer, that's his/her prerogative.

octo

Post by octo »

voted 4

more often than not they feel like a waste of time

PaulGrant

Post by PaulGrant »

Good question!
I chose option 1; I don't see how they hurt anything. If Team 1 powers the tossup, gains 15 points, but fails to convert any of the bonus, leaving Team 2 to sweep it, then it is Team 1's fault for not covering a wide amount of information in addition to covering tossup material in-depth, not the bonuses' for being rebound-able.
Rebounding bonuses won't hurt good teams. They will save someone somewhere some anxiety, as has already been pointed out.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

This is the right answer:
The stance I've come to after running many events on both formats is that they are both perfectly valid ways to run the match that simply emphasize slightly different things. Non-rebounding bonuses put a greater emphasis on being a team that is skilled at getting tossups, which is obviously an incredibly important skill for quizbowl and I have no qualms with it being nigh impossible to win a quizbowl match without getting the most tossups. Rebounding bonuses, on the other hand, put a slightly greater emphasis on purely knowing things and gives a greater penalty to a team that is less well-rounded by letting the things they don't know get picked up by their opponent. Since the points scored on a rebound are done so by one team inherently demonstrating greater knowledge of a subject than their opponent, I similarly see nothing at all problematic about a game using those rules.
http://hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 35#p201435