Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Ranking System

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
Charbroil

Ranking System

Post by Charbroil »

Ashvin Srinvatsa at Yale came up with an interesting ranking system for high school and collegiate teams which is interesting in that it ranks both HS and college teams on a continuous scale. The latest post covers it in fairly significant detail, so here it is reproduced in full:
Excelsior (smack) wrote:All MOO and MAGNI sites that have occurred so far have been incorporated into the rankings (along with the Florida Gateway Invitational, a college tournament run on an A-set). This has a few consequences.

First, the rankings are no longer continuously numbered. For example, as of this writing, Ladue A is ranked 4th, while the next team, GDS A, is ranked 6th. This is because there is a college team (in this case, Michigan A) ranked 5th. College teams are of course not displayed in the rankings list, but games played against college teams do affect the rankings.

Second, for those of you who are amused by this sort of curiosity, you may now view the rankings of colleges for which data is currently available. I trust interested college players to put very little stock in the rankings, as the circuit is not yet connected; college teams have even higher lineup variability than high school teams; I didn't really bother to account for weakened house teams; etc.

Also: you can now see a snapshot of the state of connectedness of the circuit. It will be updated every so often, but not necessarily at the same time as the rankings (for technical reasons). As you can see, there are (as of this writing) 23 disjoint circuits. I recognize that the page is not exactly user-friendly (it displays team ID numbers, not team names); I may fix this when I get some time over Thanksgiving.
Notably, Ladue is the 4th ranked team in the nation right now (based on, of course, fairly limited statistical evidence). Entertainingly enough, that is in front of not only our own collegiate team, but every other college team in the nation.

More information here.

Mewto55555

Re: Ranking System

Post by Mewto55555 »

Charbroil wrote:Entertainingly enough, that is in front of not only our own collegiate team, but every other college team in the nation.
This appears to have changed (maybe they weighted the college sets more?)