Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of archived packets FREE for study/practice use at the Quizbowl Packet Archive!Announced tournament dates

Middle Schools are being banned by MSHSAA from Nationals

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
Post Reply
User avatar
Charlie Dees
Posts: 4134
Joined: Tue Jul 25, 2006 11:00 pm
Location: Columbia, MO
Contact:

Middle Schools are being banned by MSHSAA from Nationals

Post by Charlie Dees » Thu Oct 13, 2011 10:04 pm

I just found out from NAQT that MSHSAA is banning middle schools from attending the Middle School National Championship Tournament because MSHSAA won't allow teams to participate in a national event before the start of the summer, and Middle School nationals are held in late April. This is essentially the worst decision that the MSHSAA has made in recent memory, and is going to stifle the grown of our emerging serious middle school circuit and prevent any teams that want to excel from receiving national recognition. I strongly recommend people write letters to MSHSAA, their local newspapers, and state politicians about this incredibly destructive policy to convince them to rewrite the rules to allow middle schoolers to attend their national championship if they are on a team is awarded a bid.

User avatar
ChippytheSavage
Posts: 150
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:10 pm
Location: Savannah, MO

Re: Middle Schools are being banned by MSHSAA from Nationals

Post by ChippytheSavage » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:13 pm

As host of a middle school tournament this season and former MS quiz bowl player, I would like to say I am sorely dissapointed by this decision. I will definitely have something to say to MSHSAA about this.

User avatar
PenforPrez
Posts: 816
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:00 pm
Location: Not quite Baltimore. Not quite Washington, D.C.
Contact:

Re: Middle Schools are being banned by MSHSAA from Nationals

Post by PenforPrez » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:47 pm

ChippytheSavage wrote:I will definitely have something to say to MSHSAA about this.
That includes me as well, and MSHSAA is going to be very sorry to be hearing from me! :wink:

User avatar
scphilli
Posts: 1910
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:00 am
Location: St. Louis, MO
Contact:

Re: Middle Schools are being banned by MSHSAA from Nationals

Post by scphilli » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:09 pm

While I understand and share the feelings of outrage over this decision, I would like to point out that all communications to MSHSAA should likely be worded tactfully, although if necessarily tersely. These people are like the Bourbon rulers of France. They learn nothing and forget nothing.

Online
User avatar
L-Town Expatriate
Posts: 5808
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:00 pm
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Re: Middle Schools are being banned by MSHSAA from Nationals

Post by L-Town Expatriate » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:45 pm

Remember that what MSHSAA believes to be their trump card is "minimizing missed class time," which they conveniently forget when Rockhurst wants to play a football team in Ontario.

OK, that's apples and oranges. How far before summer is this tournament?

(edit) I'm answering my own question here. For reference, see http://naqt.com/ms/msnct/2012/details.html

NAQT's national MS tournament is April 21, a Saturday. Registration is Friday night, meaning teams would likely miss one day of class in travel, and return Sunday evening.

To be honest, I'm not as gung ho about sticking it to MSHSAA on this particular issue (end of the day, you represent a school because you attend classes at said school) but there's certainly a good faith effort on NAQT's part about minimizing class time missed.

User avatar
scphilli
Posts: 1910
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:00 am
Location: St. Louis, MO
Contact:

Re: Middle Schools are being banned by MSHSAA from Nationals

Post by scphilli » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:03 am

L-Town Expatriate wrote:Remember that what MSHSAA believes to be their trump card is "minimizing missed class time," which they conveniently forget when Rockhurst wants to play a football team in Ontario.

OK, that's apples and oranges. How far before summer is this tournament?

(edit) I'm answering my own question here. For reference, see http://naqt.com/ms/msnct/2012/details.html

NAQT's national MS tournament is April 21, a Saturday. Registration is Friday night, meaning teams would likely miss one day of class in travel, and return Sunday evening.

To be honest, I'm not as gung ho about sticking it to MSHSAA on this particular issue (end of the day, you represent a school because you attend classes at said school) but there's certainly a good faith effort on NAQT's part about minimizing class time missed.
Why was any of this worth a hill of beans?

User avatar
scphilli
Posts: 1910
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:00 am
Location: St. Louis, MO
Contact:

Re: Middle Schools are being banned by MSHSAA from Nationals

Post by scphilli » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:27 am

I'm sorry, I guess I meant a Hill of beans...:P

User avatar
bt_green_warbler
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:22 pm
Location: San Francisco Bay Area
Contact:

Re: Middle Schools are being banned by MSHSAA from Nationals

Post by bt_green_warbler » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:56 pm

L-Town Expatriate wrote:Registration is Friday night, meaning teams would likely miss one day of class in travel, and return Sunday evening.
Teams are welcome to register Saturday morning (if they notify us in advance), so no Missouri school would need to miss any class time at all to attend MSNCT.

Online
User avatar
L-Town Expatriate
Posts: 5808
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:00 pm
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Re: Middle Schools are being banned by MSHSAA from Nationals

Post by L-Town Expatriate » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:03 pm

bt_green_warbler wrote:
L-Town Expatriate wrote:Registration is Friday night, meaning teams would likely miss one day of class in travel, and return Sunday evening.
Teams are welcome to register Saturday morning (if they notify us in advance), so no Missouri school would need to miss any class time at all to attend MSNCT.
Boom. MSHSAA better have a new valid argument, lest certain legislators find out about this…
scphilli wrote:I'm sorry, I guess I meant a Hill of beans...:P
Because beans are suppose to be good for your heart. Guards against a heart attack the next time MSHSAA does something stupid.

mujason
Posts: 1586
Joined: Sat Apr 17, 2004 11:00 pm
Location: Lincoln, MO
Contact:

Re: Middle Schools are being banned by MSHSAA from Nationals

Post by mujason » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:58 pm

Is Occupy Keene Street a viable option to protest MSHSAA's draconian and archaic restrictions?

Online
User avatar
L-Town Expatriate
Posts: 5808
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:00 pm
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Re: Middle Schools are being banned by MSHSAA from Nationals

Post by L-Town Expatriate » Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:34 pm

mujason wrote:Is Occupy Keene Street a viable option to protest MSHSAA's draconian and archaic restrictions?
I'm not sure. Occupy Eighth Street hasn't come to fruition in Bentonville.

Jason Loy
Posts: 1657
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:00 pm

Re: Middle Schools are being banned by MSHSAA from Nationals

Post by Jason Loy » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:41 am

Keep it on topic, guys.

User avatar
dwd50
Posts: 626
Joined: Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:00 am

Re: Middle Schools are being banned by MSHSAA from Nationals

Post by dwd50 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:24 pm

Received word from MSHSAA (Stacy Schroeder) on this:

Teams can go if -

1. ...the NAQT sanctions the event (4.4.4). Completed sanctions are listed on our website - Davine Davis handles this process for MSHSAA. (If unsanctioned, you may not legally compete).

The event was listed as sanctioned per Davine Davis today, 3/6. It is on the sanctioned tournaments list on the MSHSAA website.

2. ...this is the ONE event (in your max of 11) you have saved as per By-Law 4.4.3.b to use after April 14.

3. ...this is the only event you will attend over 250 air miles away. Based on quick review, it appears Chicago is over the 250 air mile limit in By-Law 4.4.4.d. (Can go to only one)

If a team clears hurdles 2 and 3, you're good to go.

Post Reply