Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Question Provider

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
CentraliaCoach

Question Provider

Post by CentraliaCoach »

As lame as this is going to sound, here goes.

My conference is looking for a provider for 15 JV question sets. They must be MSHSAA format sets, as the consensus is that players starting out would benefit from playing in the state format in which they will eventually be expected to play at the varsity level.

We do not want Questions Galore (clearly). We were unhappy with the Question Bank last year (anti-pyramidal, initials given as clues, calculus & advanced science questions in JV packets). These are the only JV question writers with whom we have firsthand experience.

We would order NAQT, but they don't make JV so the math would be more difficult than JV players can really be expected to figure.

I understand that most people on this board are disgusted by MSHSAA format and would prefer to see 20/20 format, but that simply is not an option (I tried). Thus, I don't want this to turn into a MSHSAA-bashing thread.

Any suggestions on a reasonably quality question writer that can write that many JV packets in MO format?

Charlie Dees

Re: Question Provider

Post by Charlie Dees »

I honestly don't think you have any other options. If your conference was unhappy with Questions Galore and Question Bank and won't buy NAQT, I don't think you will be able to find any more suitable providers. All the other options out there writing MSHSAA format sets are writers with extremely poor track records, which are often excessively difficult.