Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Starting a Scholar Bowl Team at KU

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
PHSouth

Starting a Scholar Bowl Team at KU

Post by PHSouth »

I am thinking about doing this next year.

Advice, etc?

socalcaptain

Re: Starting a Scholar Bowl Team at KU

Post by socalcaptain »

I shall maintain civility...I shall maintain civility... :P

This would be a great thing to do! Lawrence is close enough to most of the tournaments that happen in Missouri that you should have some good opportunities to attend stuff.

Every school has a different "new clubs" process, so it's hard to give you a lot of concrete advice. Be prepared to have some supporters sign something saying they support the formation of the club. If you have to write a constitution, I'd be glad to share ours with you for ideas.

Once you get the club into existence, you'll have to do some recruiting. Check and see if kU offers a "activities fair" or something where you can set up a booth. If not, start emailing some other academic organizations like Honors College to see if they would be willing to help you market. This process could take a long time - Mizzou is still a small club after 3 years. Another idea which has worked well for us here at Mizzou was getting in touch with the folks at the student unions. NAQT and ACUI are partners in running the college sectionals tournaments which can qualify you for NAQT nationals. I actually know someone there who I could get you in touch with if you'd like. They might be willing to, say, purchase the intramural set for you to run an intramural on, which can help with recruiting.

If you end up having any specific questions, don't hesitate to post here. Most of us have done this before.