Looking for practice material?
Find thousands of archived packets FREE for practice and study use at the Quizbowl Packet Archive!
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:29 am

Format Nomenclature for Dummies (Dummy?) 

Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair
Post Format Nomenclature for Dummies (Dummy?)
I made a naming boo-boo in a thread this week when I said that Mizzou's Tiger Bowl was NAQT format, when in fact it's closer to PACE NSC. I have heard several names floated about (and, as I was fond of doing, used interchangably) for the 20/20 formats that are becoming commonplace.

So what, for the benefit of teams & old farts like yours truly just coming on board, are the differences between the variously named 20/20 formats? Are some naming variations also contingent on the question provider (that is, it must be X question writer for it to be X format)?

Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:02 pm

Post Re: Format Nomenclature for Dummies (Dummy?)
Here are the "official" formats that use 10 point tossups and 30 point bonuses, by which I mean these are formats that certain organizations use as their official rules:

ACF Format - 20 tossups, all worth 10 points. There are no powers, so all tossups are worth 10 points. There are -5 interrupt penalties. The bonuses do not rebound in this format. Everything timing related lasts 5-seconds.

NAQT format - Has a variable number of tossups, no greater than 26, because they use 9-minute timed halves. There are 15 point powers in this format, and there are -5 point penalties. Bonuses do not rebound. Teams have 2 seconds after they buzz in to begin their answer, and 3 seconds after a tossup is finished for them to buzz in, while bonuses stay 5 seconds. NAQT also allows tournaments to choose not to use timers and instead have a fixed number of tossups per game while having it still be an "official" NAQT event, by their rules. This is what NAQT state does, and most tournaments that go this route use 20 tossup games.

PACE Format - 20 10-point tossups, with 20 point powers. There are no penalties for interrupts. The bonuses do rebound in the PACE format. Everything is 5 seconds for the timing.

However, individual tournaments are allowed to modify these "official" rules as much as the directors choose. To take a good example, Mizzou Fall is run on NAQT questions. However, we do not use timed matches, changed the timing rules to have everything be 5 seconds instead of 2 or 3, and allowed rebounding bonuses. By the letter of NAQT's rules, this is an "unofficial" event, but it is still a perfectly legitimate hybrid of rules to produce a fair event in my estimation. Similarly, Wash U's tournament every year uses the ACF format as its basis, but then removes negs and includes rebounding bonuses. Actually, almost no tournaments anywhere use NAQT's full rules with the timer other than NAQT Nationals.

Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:16 pm