Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Ohio quizbowl

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
PenforPrez

Ohio quizbowl

Post by PenforPrez »

I wanted to start a thread here to let you all know about my plans for world domination. . . *ahem*, I mean my efforts in Ohio quizbowl. Just thought you guys might want to see some of what's going on outside of Missouri.

So I've got several irons in the fire already, and I've only been pursuing things since Thursday. I happened to hear from Rhonna Smith (she was Greg Bossick's assistant on the Ohio NASAT team), who is the coach at Olmstead Falls HS in suburban Cleveland; they finished 7-5 at HSNCT this year their first time out. She's asked me for input on how they can improve, and I'm helping with her tournament Oct. 2. That's going to be a lot of fun. :)

Greg Bossick is about to get his Mahoning County league going. They've got a hard act to follow this year. I'm trying to get into the quizbowl league where I live here in Portage County; my initial inquiry email met with some success. They're deep in the Dark Ages in Portage County, so I'm hoping I can revive that.

That's all for now. I'll keep you guys informed. :)

PenforPrez

Re: Ohio quizbowl

Post by PenforPrez »

Read my second tournament of the year yesterday at Ohio State. Or more correctly, The Ohio State University. :P The tournament was a mirror of a set from Dunbar; the set wasn't that great. The field was mostly teams from central/western Ohio and Cincinnati, with some northeast Ohio teams in attendance. None of the top four Ohio teams were in attendance, so it was an open field.

There was a three-way tie for second after the playoffs. Warren G. Harding (Warren, OH) won two half-games against Brush HS (east suburbs of Cleveland) and Walnut Hills (Cincinnati) to go to an advantaged final against St. Charles (Columbus). St. Charles had a one-game advantage and won the final pretty easily.

All four of those teams were pretty decent. All of them had at least one good player and they had decent depth of knowledge. A couple of buzzes in the final were very stellar.

It was good to meet the tOSU team; they're mostly freshmen and sophomores. They're good kids. The tournament ran OK for the most part; these kids have to learn. ;)

Big tournament next weekend at Tippecanoe, just north of Dayton, which is a good 3 1/2 hours from Kent. I'm going; I'm looking forward to it. :)

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

Heading down to Dayton (more correctly Tipp City, which is just north) tomorrow night to work the Tippecanoe HS tournament. I hope Tyler will be there too, but we'll see. :P

This will complete the circle of Ohio quizbowl; I'll probably have met most of the important folks in Ohio by the end of the day Saturday. It's an A-set, so it should be interesting.

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

So I've been working quite a bit here. Did the Rowdy Raider tournament at Wright State in Dayton in December, in a persistent snowfall. A lot of teams from Kentucky and Michigan came for that; Chattahoochee from the Atlanta area came and finished about 3rd or 4th. Got to solidify friendships with coaches from western Ohio and the Cincinnati area; most of the big players in Ohio know who I am now. :)

I've spent the last two weeks learning the OAC format. Jan. 8, Greg Bossick was co-running an OAC tournament at a small high school north of Warren, Ohio (in the Youngstown area). The questions were terrible and showed a lot of bad form, including references by the author to themselves. Just not cool. :(

Last Saturday, Greg was running another OAC tournament at Warren G. Harding HS in Warren. I love how in Ohio they name things after crooked Presidents. I somehow doubt they'll ever have Rod Blagojevich HS in Chicago. ;) Good teams and better questions. I read the final, which was a barnburner between Olmstead Falls and Copley, with Copley narrowly pulling out the win.

Tomorrow will be the third week of Greg's Mahoning County League, which is Ohio quizbowl in its most elemental form, sort of like conference play for Missouri teams. It's fun, but slightly problematic due to issues with the host.

It's been interesting to see how Ohio quizbowl people (and Ohioans in general) deal with snow. Coaches here do worry about it, but it's a fact of life to Ohioans. Missourians panic and get all paranoid, as they do about almost everything. The thing is, in northeast Ohio, it snows almost every day. Not that much sometimes, but it just keeps coming down and stays there. Ohioans simply learn to deal with it as a fact of life, like the tides. :) That's really cool. I like that.

gregboss98

Post by gregboss98 »

Hello from Youngstown, Ohio. I'm sure Paul's told most of you about my fair(ly dilapidated) city already, so I won't elaborate. I just wanted to introduce myself, and ask that if any of you run or know someone who runs an NAQT-written event, please save and send the scoresheets to me. I do the conversion data for NAQT for both tossups and bonuses, and any work any of you could send me would be greatly appreciated.

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

gregboss98 wrote:Hello from Youngstown, Ohio. I'm sure Paul's told most of you about my fair(ly dilapidated) city already, so I won't elaborate. I just wanted to introduce myself, and ask that if any of you run or know someone who runs an NAQT-written event, please save and send the scoresheets to me. I do the conversion data for NAQT for both tossups and bonuses, and any work any of you could send me would be greatly appreciated.
I just wanted to stress what Greg said. He did ask me to tell you all to please send NAQT scoresheets to him, and I forgot, as usual. :roll: But this is very important; NAQT does glean important information about answerability, etc., from the scoresheets that we submit to them. Greg has explained the importance of this to me, Rob Hentzel has too, and I didn't need much convincing to start with.

So please send Greg your scoresheets. Greg would appreciate it and so would I. NAQT can give you that address or I can give it to you; just shoot me an email. :)

gregboss98

Post by gregboss98 »

If you are capable and willing, you can also scan sheets in and convert them to PDF files; this saves on shipping costs and also allows me to work on them even when I don't have internet access. I can also do your SQBS data entry, if needed, and upload results.

Every set NAQT produces can generate answerability data, so the Missouri-format sets they are producing are also fair game.