Server upgrade complete!

Welcome to the upgraded server! If you notice anything wrong with the board, please let Jeffrey know!Free packets for study/practiceAnnounced tournament dates

IRC scrimmages

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
octo

IRC scrimmages

Post by octo » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:45 pm

I've been thinking about this thread, and since my team already has semi-regular practices on IRC, I thought it would be a great learning experience and not too much of a stretch for us to participate on #scrimmage with the entire team. Would any other school represented here be interested in playing with us? I mean, sure, I could just express interest in the thread on hsquizbowl, but I have a feeling that would end in us playing a group far above our skill level given the people that frequent those forums, not to mention it might be easier to convince my teammates to play with a group of people I already know to some degree.

As for the day and time, pretty much any evening/night works for me, and I don't think my teammates have too many conflicts in that timespace either.

dividebyzero

Re: IRC scrimmages

Post by dividebyzero » Tue Jul 13, 2010 9:13 pm

Are you looking for a full, official school team to play against, or just some people against whom you can have some level of organized competition for the purpose of practice?

octo

Post by octo » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:01 pm

I suppose it doesn't really matter, though I was initially thinking of the former. At the least it would have to not be a superteam.

dividebyzero

Post by dividebyzero » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:58 pm

Okay, that sounds pretty reasonable. I was just asking because I may be able to participate, but can't guarantee super-regularity and definitely can't guarantee any other teammates showing up. So if it works for you, you could ask around and have a couple of people play against you guys as a team (and you'd obviously have to know who they were so as to make sure it's not a superteam/generally know the skill level you're up against). Just my thoughts. Dunno if any actual teams would be available or not.

Acceleration

Post by Acceleration » Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:53 pm

This is a very good idea. I've been in a few of these already, and they are a lot of fun and very helpful. If anyone wanted to do this, I could play or read.

Mewto55555

Post by Mewto55555 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:49 pm

I suppose I could show up a bit, but I'd be by myself.

Machina

Post by Machina » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:09 am

Ditto what Max said.