Looking for practice material?
Find thousands of archived packets FREE for practice and study use at the Quizbowl Packet Archive!
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:44 am

Power Ranking (or whatever it's called...) 

Post Power Ranking (or whatever it's called...)
So, last year was my first year playing at HSNCT, and one of the things that intrigued me was their system for determining which teams play against each other in each round (with the numbered cards which are exchanged after matches. Not sure what it's called, and I'm describing it poorly because I'm in a rush...). Theoretically it seems to logically place teams against each other according to record (though not necessarily by strength of teams), but there I noticed some flaws as well (namely the whole [potential] "Oh I'm lost"/"When's our next break?" scenarios)
I can't say much more right now (at school :roll: ), but does anyone have any input/clarification about the benefits and drawbacks of this system? (Or anything else related really)

Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:11 am

Post Re: Power Ranking (or whatever it's called...)
Another name for this is Swiss pairing--a basic outline can be seen here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_pairing

(Except that HSNCT just uses Swiss pairing in preliminaries and has a separate playoff round rather than determining the entire tournament that way)

As for the advantages and disadvantages, you can get an idea of them in this discussion thread: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... r+matching

(The original post is opposed to the method, but I imagine any additional advantages beyond the ability to differentiate a large field are also mentioned within the replies)

Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:02 am

Post Re: Power Ranking (or whatever it's called...)
All I know is that I'm always terrified I'm going to give the wrong card to the wrong team...and then Joel Gluskin will kill me in my sleep.

Sun May 02, 2010 10:31 pm