Does your school need new buzzers?
Apply for a Matt's Buzzers grant! $250 grants will be awarded on December 1.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:37 pm

Scholarship Idea 

Post Scholarship Idea
I am the varsity captain at Benton High School in Saint Joseph, Missouri. I was thinking that maybe we could do a one person from each school tournament. The winner of the tournament could win a small scholarship. If you know of any way to make this happen or of any quiz bowl scholarships please email me at rush_fan91@yahoo.com. Thank you for your cooperation.

Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:30 am

Post Scholarship Idea
Joshua, this isn't a bad idea, except that MSHSAA rules ban any sort of monetary compensation over $20 for playing Quiz Bowl (or any other MSHSAA activity).

Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:06 pm

Post Scholarship Idea
Would a solo tournament actually come under the purview of MSHSAA? I was under the impression that all they managed were team tournaments.

Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:42 pm

Post Scholarship Idea
In any case, I guarantee you that this will never be financially viable unless some corporation backs it.

Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:43 pm

Post Scholarship Idea
Charbroil wrote:
Joshua, this isn't a bad idea, except that MSHSAA rules ban any sort of monetary compensation over $20 for playing Quiz Bowl (or any other MSHSAA activity).
That actually got bumped up to $100 thanks to a rule change this summer.

Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:06 pm
Profile WWW

Post Scholarship Idea
joshua.bonnett wrote:
I am the varsity captain at Benton High School in Saint Joseph, Missouri. I was thinking that maybe we could do a one person from each school tournament. The winner of the tournament could win a small scholarship. If you know of any way to make this happen or of any quiz bowl scholarships please email me at rush_fan91@yahoo.com. Thank you for your cooperation.
Many many years ago (back when I played), Drury University in Springfield did just that. They ran a huge tournament specifically as a recruiting tool. Players on the winning team got $1,000 scholarships each; the second place players got $500. But MSHSAA took over quizbowl after the '94-'95 season and their rules ban any such award, and the Drury tournament immediately folded for that reason.

I played in the last Drury tournament in '95 as a freshman. We won that day; we beat Webb City in the final. It was so cool. :)

Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:11 pm
Profile WWW

Post Scholarship Idea
Lindenwood University offered our players $7500 + $2500 (work/learn) if they decide to attend the university based on how we did at their History Bowl.

Unfortunately, I doubt any of the players will cash in. It is a fine institution (in fact I will teach a class there next semester), but it is too close to home for these students.

Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:37 am

Post Re: Scholarship Idea
Thank you and I respect all the feedback. I was just thinking out loud just tring to help out the Quiz Bowl players of Missouri.

Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:10 am

Post Re: Scholarship Idea
joshua.bonnett wrote:
Thank you and I respect all the feedback. I was just thinking out loud just tring to help out the Quiz Bowl players of Missouri.

Nothing wrong with that at all! I wish more people would do that. :)

Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:21 pm
Profile WWW