Server upgrade complete!

Welcome to the upgraded server! If you notice anything wrong with the board, please let Jeffrey know!Free packets for study/practiceAnnounced tournament dates

Scholarship Idea

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
joshua.bonnett

Scholarship Idea

Post by joshua.bonnett » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:30 am

I am the varsity captain at Benton High School in Saint Joseph, Missouri. I was thinking that maybe we could do a one person from each school tournament. The winner of the tournament could win a small scholarship. If you know of any way to make this happen or of any quiz bowl scholarships please email me at rush_fan91@yahoo.com. Thank you for your cooperation.

Charbroil

Scholarship Idea

Post by Charbroil » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:06 pm

Joshua, this isn't a bad idea, except that MSHSAA rules ban any sort of monetary compensation over $20 for playing Quiz Bowl (or any other MSHSAA activity).

Charlie Dees

Scholarship Idea

Post by Charlie Dees » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:42 pm

Would a solo tournament actually come under the purview of MSHSAA? I was under the impression that all they managed were team tournaments.

Charlie Dees

Scholarship Idea

Post by Charlie Dees » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:43 pm

In any case, I guarantee you that this will never be financially viable unless some corporation backs it.

PenforPrez

Scholarship Idea

Post by PenforPrez » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:06 pm

Charbroil wrote:Joshua, this isn't a bad idea, except that MSHSAA rules ban any sort of monetary compensation over $20 for playing Quiz Bowl (or any other MSHSAA activity).
That actually got bumped up to $100 thanks to a rule change this summer.

PenforPrez

Scholarship Idea

Post by PenforPrez » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:11 pm

joshua.bonnett wrote:I am the varsity captain at Benton High School in Saint Joseph, Missouri. I was thinking that maybe we could do a one person from each school tournament. The winner of the tournament could win a small scholarship. If you know of any way to make this happen or of any quiz bowl scholarships please email me at rush_fan91@yahoo.com. Thank you for your cooperation.
Many many years ago (back when I played), Drury University in Springfield did just that. They ran a huge tournament specifically as a recruiting tool. Players on the winning team got $1,000 scholarships each; the second place players got $500. But MSHSAA took over quizbowl after the '94-'95 season and their rules ban any such award, and the Drury tournament immediately folded for that reason.

I played in the last Drury tournament in '95 as a freshman. We won that day; we beat Webb City in the final. It was so cool. :)

FZW Coach

Scholarship Idea

Post by FZW Coach » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:37 am

Lindenwood University offered our players $7500 + $2500 (work/learn) if they decide to attend the university based on how we did at their History Bowl.

Unfortunately, I doubt any of the players will cash in. It is a fine institution (in fact I will teach a class there next semester), but it is too close to home for these students.

joshua.bonnett

Re: Scholarship Idea

Post by joshua.bonnett » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:10 am

Thank you and I respect all the feedback. I was just thinking out loud just tring to help out the Quiz Bowl players of Missouri.

PenforPrez

Re: Scholarship Idea

Post by PenforPrez » Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:21 pm

joshua.bonnett wrote:Thank you and I respect all the feedback. I was just thinking out loud just tring to help out the Quiz Bowl players of Missouri.
Nothing wrong with that at all! I wish more people would do that. :)