Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Ranking Players (Again)

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
Charbroil

Ranking Players (Again)

Post by Charbroil »

So, while browsing through this board, I ran into this thread:
http://moquizbowl.com/topic/517938/2/ which Charlie started a couple of years ago to discuss who are the top players in the state. Given the interesting possibilities, I was thinking of starting something like Charlie's polls for the same topic.

Thus, who's up for doing a poll based on the following categories?

Top Male:
Top Female

Top History Player:
Top Literature. Player:
Top Science Player:
Top Math Player:

Top Generalist:
Top Pair:
The (high level) team in which all four players contribute most evenly:

Anyone else have ideas for good categories? I'm not going to try it by class because most classes outside of Class 4 don't have many teams that actually get to tournaments. In any case, if you have good ideas for categories and people that might fit them, feel free to send them too.

If people do want to do this, please send me your nominations for these categories privately so that we can avoid the mess of insults the last iteration of this thread crumbled into.

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... arbroil</a>, Mar 10 2009, 07:11:13 PM.</div>

FishyFreshman

Ranking Players (Again)

Post by FishyFreshman »

Haha that old thread was hilarious. I wish we had idiots like that around still...

Charlie Dees

Ranking Players (Again)

Post by Charlie Dees »

I don't.

Charbroil

Ranking Players (Again)

Post by Charbroil »

Spencer asked me a couple of questions, so I wanted to clarify a couple of the topics:

1/ The categories I'm asking for are the ones listed in this thread, not the old one--though I'm certainly interested in anything people add, and will mention them as well.

2/ For top generalist, I mean most well balanced high level player.

3/ Incidentally, a clarification on most well balanced team--I mean well balanced as in not just one or two people are getting the questions, not most well balanced team as in covering all of the subjects. (Original post edited to reflect correction)

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... arbroil</a>, Mar 10 2009, 06:29:56 PM.</div>

Charbroil

Ranking Players (Again)

Post by Charbroil »

Just reminding everyone about this. I'm hoping to get these rankings out by the end of March...

ZhangC1459

Ranking Players (Again)

Post by ZhangC1459 »

Isn't it Will's job to rank people?

DeckardCain

Ranking Players (Again)

Post by DeckardCain »

I know I don't feel at all confident in ranking people by subject, as that's kind of hard to do accurately without watching each team play several games against top opponents. Presumably some people feel the same way.

Speaking of polls, when is the next team poll coming out? I think I'll actually vote this time.

ZhangC1459

Ranking Players (Again)

Post by ZhangC1459 »

Also also, as long as Joe Duncan doesn't show up again with threats for everyone, I think the insults should be down to a minimum

WillHack

Ranking Players (Again)

Post by WillHack »

Idk what you're talking about, CZ.

Uh, I think Mr. Dees said that he'd start another team poll after Sectionals, but I suppose we could have one before Districts if we want. I have my own personal ranking that I update weekly. : )

AShoaib

Ranking Players (Again)

Post by AShoaib »

^ I'm not into Quizbowl as much as that guy ^
;)

Charbroil

Ranking Players (Again)

Post by Charbroil »

ZhangC1459 wrote:Isn't it Will's job to rank people?
Umm...doesn't he rank teams instead of individuals on your Facebook group? In any case, I already got a poll from Will. :)
DeckardCain wrote:I know I don't feel at all confident in ranking people by subject, as that's kind of hard to do accurately without watching each team play several games against top opponents.
That's true--this poll is more for players and coaches than moderators. However, you could submit a partial poll to contribute to the other categories--unless you don't feel qualified to judge those either, which is understandable.

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... arbroil</a>, Mar 12 2009, 07:36:14 PM.</div>

FZW Coach

Ranking Players (Again)

Post by FZW Coach »

Will has a weekly ranking system. How fascinating! Maybe he can be like Mel Kiper and turn that into a full fledged career! Everytime I see that guy on ESPN, I think, "Hmm . . . maybe I should be that guy for the NBA draft." I seem to have as much of an idea as the GMs . . . except the really smart ones who win championships.

WillHack

Ranking Players (Again)

Post by WillHack »

Yeah, I should do like the guy at fivethirtyeight.com during the elections season and run lists and rankings and polls and stuff. Except I never took stats, so it would all be gut instincts.

AShoaib

Ranking Players (Again)

Post by AShoaib »

...wow. I actually looked at that group Will. Yes, I am a creeper. And yes, I approve.

As for ranking players, it's hard. As mentioned, teams that are balanced have less strong individuals. Central is a perfect example. Third place at WUSHAC, NO INDIVIDUAL MEDALS.

Charbroil

Ranking Players (Again)

Post by Charbroil »

...hence the reason I put in a "most balanced team (as in the team which has the most players as major contributors)

And don't worry, Abdullah--I check that group too. :)

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... arbroil</a>, Mar 13 2009, 09:54:47 PM.</div>

WillHack

Ranking Players (Again)

Post by WillHack »

I do believe we've had 4 different top scorers this year: Jason (Two Saints, Mizzou), Nick (Rolla Spring), Tom (DeSmet), and either Will or Chris, depending on whether you count prelims or all games at the NAQT Qualifier. We're pretty balanced. : D

DeckardCain

Ranking Players (Again)

Post by DeckardCain »

Charbroil wrote:
DeckardCain wrote:I know I don't feel at all confident in ranking people by subject, as that's kind of hard to do accurately without watching each team play several games against top opponents.
That's true--this poll is more for players and coaches than moderators. However, you could submit a partial poll to contribute to the other categories--unless you don't feel qualified to judge those either, which is understandable.
I'll definitely be interested to see who takes the subject categories. The remaining categories are fairly obvious, but I did go ahead and send you a partial poll.

Charbroil

Ranking Players (Again)

Post by Charbroil »

Thank you! That brings the list to 4--I'm hoping for 2 or 3 more and then I'll post it.

Charbroil

Ranking Players (Again)

Post by Charbroil »

I'm going to bump this and mention that I'm probably going to post this around this weekend, so if anyone else is interested in submitting a poll, you have about a week (I'll hold off if anyone asks for more time)

Charbroil

Ranking Players (Again)

Post by Charbroil »

So, as we go into state, it seems appropriate to post the Missouri Academic Competition Message Board Player Rankings for 2008-2009!

Thus, without further ado (number of votes received next to name, winner bolded, ties italicized)...

Top Male: Charles Hang, FHC (6)
Top Female: Julia Price, FZW(6)

Top History Player: Brandon Roney, NKC (2), Charles Hang, FHC (2)
Top Literature Player: Zach Kerns, Savannah (1), Brandon Roney, NKC (1), Grant Gates, NKC (1), Charles Hang, FHC (1)
Top Math Player: Grant Gates, NKC (3), Tom, PCH (1)
Top Science Player: Spencer Fish, Liberty (3)
Top Generalist: Charles Hang, FHC (4), Zach Kerns, Savannah (1)
Top Pair: Brandon Roney & Grant Gates, NKC (5), Kevin Sheng & Abdullah Shoaib, Eureka (1)
Top Balanced Team: Parkway Central (4), North Kansas City (1)

Additional Categories
Top Senior: Charles Hang, FHC (2)
Top Junior: Grant Gates, NKC (2)
Top Underclassman: Ikshu (last name?) (10th), Clayton (1)
Most Fun to Play: Liberty (1), Parkway Central (1)
Best Trio: Spencer Fish, Cameron Kieffer, Lucas Mobberly, Liberty (1), Julia Price, Robert Foster, Abby Genet, FZW (1)

I got six polls in total (including my own), but not everyone filled out each category, hence the discrepancy. I took the liberty of submitting my own response to many of the user defined categories.

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... arbroil</a>, Apr 24 2009, 11:19:53 AM.</div>

FishyFreshman

Ranking Players (Again)

Post by FishyFreshman »

I think it looks pretty accurate with the exception of the best lit player. I am not sure how Grant got there. I know I am at least as good as him at lit. I think Hickman probably deserves a place somewhere in here as well. I think they have a really balanced team or at least a good trio.

Charbroil

Ranking Players (Again)

Post by Charbroil »

I didn't vote for Grant as best Lit. player, but I do understand how he got the spot--he definitely has the Asian lit and such locked down fairly well (as does Brandon, of course).

CherryCokeStain

Ranking Players (Again)

Post by CherryCokeStain »

I'm not a lit player at all, i don't know where that came from. I mean, i know lit and can get tossups on books i'm familiar with and 20 lit bonuses, but i'm no Dees. i just want to know who voted me for that. Brandon i would say deserves that spot, but so do Zach and Charles. Trio should be Hickman, spencer you are not a trio. :)
Everything else is pretty much accurate, there's not much room for debate other than whether Brandon is better than Charles at history. Although I'm a biased on that issue. :D
I got 3 spots, i feel special.

FishyFreshman

Ranking Players (Again)

Post by FishyFreshman »

Yeah it definitely wasn't me that had you for lit player lol. I get a lot more than Lucas and Cameron but on good questions they each have a significant contribution I think. Hickman is more balanced for sure.

AShoaib

Ranking Players (Again)

Post by AShoaib »

Haha, Kevin and I getting a vote as top pair. Funny joke. Although in some respects, I can see it.

And yes, Parkway Central is mos def the most balanced team. No individual medals, yet still got 3rd at WUHSAC.

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... AShoaib</a>, Apr 24 2009, 07:54:50 PM.</div>

WillHack

Ranking Players (Again)

Post by WillHack »

In retrospect, best trio = Marc + Jason + Jack from Ladue.