Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Fantasy Quiz Bowl

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
WillHack

Fantasy Quiz Bowl

Post by WillHack »

Based on the Rolla Fall results, you look like the better pick. True, from the Mizzou results Brandon has better stats, but Grant evidently takes some of those points away when he attends.

I stand by my pick, we'll see how it works out at the tournament.

CherryCokeStain

Fantasy Quiz Bowl

Post by CherryCokeStain »

East vs. West grudge match. Zach, me, brandon, and spencer vs. whatever the st. louis side of the state wants to play with.

My team, (for a team of 4 that would be the most balanced and score the most as a team, not a PPG team)
Charles, FHC
Brandon, NKC
Me, NKC
Spencer, Liberty.

That would be a fun team.

Charbroil

Fantasy Quiz Bowl

Post by Charbroil »

CherryCokeStain wrote: East vs. West grudge match. Zach, me, brandon, and spencer vs. whatever the st. louis side of the state wants to play with.
Uh...not that I don't have a high opinion of St. Louis players, but I have to admit that I'm skeptical about whether we as a whole are as tough as your dream team.

But sure, why not--fantasy confrontation between:

Team St. Louis: Charles Hang, Julia Price, Kevin Sheng, and Abdullah Shoaib

Vs.

Team Kansas City: Zach Kerns, Brandon Roney, Grant Gates, and Spencer Fish?

We can use my 1.1 multiplier to compensate that Zach & Spencer are more or less 1 man teams while all of my fantasy players except myself (especially Julia) play on balanced teams.

Deal?

CherryCokeStain

Fantasy Quiz Bowl

Wait, what exactly is the multiplier for? was it for all balanced teams, or just the top scoring one. Because Brandon and I would each have to the multiplier on our scores.

And am I the only junior on this list?

AShoaib

Fantasy Quiz Bowl

Post by AShoaib »

East side and West side gang rivalries are having an influence on Quizbowl I see.

That'd be a lot of fun actually... this fantasy matchup that Charles provided.

Charbroil

Fantasy Quiz Bowl

Post by Charbroil »

The multiplier reflects the fact that the players with the highest PPG aren't always on the most successful teams, and thus multiplies the combined PPG of the fantasy team whose players have the most wins in the tournament by 1.1 to take into account the fact that those players racked up more victories even though they didn't score as high individually because other members of their teams took tossups away from them.

Edit: I just realized that I didn't quite answer your question. The multiplier would go on the team whose players won the most games combined.

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... arbroil</a>, Mar 1 2009, 06:26:06 PM.</div>

FishyFreshman

Fantasy Quiz Bowl

Post by FishyFreshman »

Or, you know, we could all get together and actual play it out =D

redliberte

Fantasy Quiz Bowl

Post by redliberte »

Charbroil wrote:Uh...not that I don't have a high opinion of St. Louis players, but I have to admit that I'm skeptical about whether we as a whole are as tough as your dream team.

Vs.

We can use my 1.1 multiplier to compensate that Zach & Spencer are more or less 1 man teams while all of my fantasy players except myself (especially Julia) play on balanced teams.

Deal?
Hold the phone-- looking at the field for MST Spring, wouldn't the KC/STL grudge match actually be possible there (as all listed players should be in attendance)?

Lol, this should totally happen.

FishyFreshman

Fantasy Quiz Bowl

Post by FishyFreshman »

That's what I was thinking Steph. Not sure how it would work, but I'd love to do it.

Charbroil

Fantasy Quiz Bowl

Post by Charbroil »

Lol...yeah, the problem would be that we all have to leave after the tournament.

Unless, you know, you guys (Matt & Jeffrey) are willing to offer lunch to the 8 of us, who can then play the match during the lunch hour and snag something before the next match.

ELADAMO89

Fantasy Quiz Bowl

Post by ELADAMO89 »

i would have no problem being the spectator to watch that match

FZW Coach

Fantasy Quiz Bowl

Post by FZW Coach »

redliberte wrote:
Charbroil wrote:Uh...not that I don't have a high opinion of St. Louis players, but I have to admit that I'm skeptical about whether we as a whole are as tough as your dream team.

Vs.

Deal?
Hold the phone-- looking at the field for MST Spring, wouldn't the KC/STL grudge match actually be possible there (as all listed players should be in attendance)?

Lol, this should totally happen.
It does sound like a fun idea, but don't tire out Miss Julia. We will need her for the afternoon games. Oh, we won't have Abby which means Julia will be forced to answer more of the math. When Abby is there, she steals some of the math and Robert steals some of the literature she would get without him there. By herself, Abby was 35 - 17 in math this past weekend with Salem only score more math questions against her (she made some silly mistakes answering incorrectly allowing them to get the rebound). Robert outscored all 7 teams we played in literature by himself.

Charbroil

Fantasy Quiz Bowl

Post by Charbroil »

Come on, Coach Gibbs...in regards to percentage, Julia answers the lowest percentage of her team's points of any of the players mentioned.

Spencer, Zach, and I all answer over 70% of our teams' points, while Grant & Brandon and Kevin & Abdullah answer at least 80% of their teams. In contrast, Julia answers maybe 60% of your points, especially given that you'll have Kai, Robert, and a fourth player (probably?)

So, given that we're all more crucial to our teams (which is no reflection on her ability, but rather on the fact that your team is more well balanced than ours' are), you would gain the biggest advantage if everyone playing this match is tired out an equal amount.

Unless, of course you think that she can't handle it, and we can... :P

DeckardCain

Fantasy Quiz Bowl

Post by DeckardCain »

FZW Coach wrote:It does sound like a fun idea...
Is this actually legal under MSHSAA regulations? I was under the impression it is not, but I have no problem organizing this match if I'm mistaken.

Charbroil

Fantasy Quiz Bowl

Post by Charbroil »

I fail to see why it wouldn't be...it's a bunch of people getting together during lunch time to play an exhibition match. It's not as if we're playing for a medal or something.

I mean, if all 8 relevant players went to someone's house (theoretically) and used a buzzer system to play this, would that also be banned?

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... arbroil</a>, Mar 1 2009, 04:01:59 PM.</div>

DeckardCain

Fantasy Quiz Bowl

Post by DeckardCain »

I'm currently perusing my copy of the MSHSAA handbook, and there's a section about "all-star games" that is extremely vague (which fits in quite well with the rest of the handbook...). It seems like this would apply.

Charbroil

Fantasy Quiz Bowl

Post by Charbroil »

I don't know...we're not picking these teams based on high school ability--if it was, I wouldn't necessarily pick the team I mentioned, but geographical location.

Matt, do you want to email MSHSAA to see if they're fine with this? Who knows, they might see that putting this in the same category as some basketball player who takes $5000 to play on an all star team is a bit excessive...

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... arbroil</a>, Mar 1 2009, 04:20:49 PM.</div>

FZW Coach

Fantasy Quiz Bowl

Post by FZW Coach »

What does it say? I couldn't imagine what would be wrong about this.

Charles, if this is going to happen, someone from your team has to make sure they bring back McDonalds for Julia. That's what she demands at each tournament! :)

NKCtrashman

Fantasy Quiz Bowl

Post by NKCtrashman »

of course MSHSAA has a problem with it, its called fun

Charbroil

Fantasy Quiz Bowl

Post by Charbroil »

FZW Coach wrote:What does it say? I couldn't imagine what would be wrong about this.

Charles, if this is going to happen, someone from your team has to make sure they bring back McDonalds for Julia. That's what she demands at each tournament! :)
It says that "An all-star event is one in which an individual is invited to participate due to his or her high school achievements. You (the competitor) may not compete in an all-star game or contest before you complete your eligibility in each high school sport."

My argument is that the individuals under discussion are not competing as a result of our high school achievements (other than, obviously, the fact that we play Quiz Bowl), but because of our geographical locations.

In any case, even if MSHSAA says that this falls under their all star game definition, we can ask for a waiver in this case because this obviously isn't what this rule is designed to guard against--ex. playing basketball on an all star team under contract.

Besides, don't most other sports allow this kind of thing? For example, I'm under the impression that basketball allows free throw contests, etc.

In any case, Coach Gibbs, you could always send an email to MSHSAA too recommending that this match take place in your capacity as MACA director. This does seem to be a perfect MACA situation.

As for McDonald's...I think Julia will be sufficiently tempted by the pizza. She likes pizza too, if you haven't noticed. :) (I would know...having eaten lunch with her for 3 weeks and watching her order that almost every day :D )

Charlie Dees

Fantasy Quiz Bowl

Post by Charlie Dees »

I can't imagine it is actually against the rules since they apparently currently have open tournaments as OK to attend (and let's pray that they keep it that way).

FishyFreshman

Fantasy Quiz Bowl

Post by FishyFreshman »

I don't think making people tired will be an issue here. The way I envision this little grudge match involves lots of fun and messing around, with obvious friendly competition. It would also be a good way to actually really meet some of these players. I am friends with Zach Grant and Brandon, but I really don't know these St Louis kids at all.

I think if Rolla is able to have lunch available to us, that would be the perfect time. I also am kind of with Brandon here though. Since this would be so much fun, I could see MSHSAA saying no. Coach Gibbs, it would be fantastic if you could use some of your influence to make this happen.

Charbroil

Fantasy Quiz Bowl

Post by Charbroil »

In any case, we could just set this up as an open tournament and have Matt invite us because we all know him. Julia and I attended the Novice Open, you guys (the KC ones) all either use the forum and/or are long term attenders of his tournaments, Abdullah is also a forum user, and Kevin can just be a friend of a friend to fill a 4th slot on Team STL.

I think Coach Gibbs was kidding about making people tired, by the way...though I've done a fairly bad job about guessing other people's intentions today, so don't take my opinion too seriously. :)

FZW Coach

Fantasy Quiz Bowl

Post by FZW Coach »

I can't imagine anyone ever caring about this. Do you think the original regulation is to avoid having your star soccer or football player go play an All Star game against his coaches wishes getting injured in the process? If I had to guess, I would guess something like that would have been the origen of this regulation.

WillHack

Fantasy Quiz Bowl

Post by WillHack »

Well, I would argue that there are some other STL people who ought to be involved, like Marc from Ladue and Jason from PCH. But since you guys will all be there. that sounds like an awesome idea. I would love to hear the outcome of that matchup.

CherryCokeStain

Fantasy Quiz Bowl

I may be a bubble burster, but I really can't see coach allen letting me and brandon do this, and that's a significant half of the KC team. correct me if I'm wrong brandon, but he's not much for frivolity. Brilliant, but focused.

Charbroil

Fantasy Quiz Bowl

Post by Charbroil »

FZW Coach wrote:I can't imagine anyone ever caring about this. Do you think the original regulation is to avoid having your star soccer or football player go play an All Star game against his coaches wishes getting injured in the process? If I had to guess, I would guess something like that would have been the origen of this regulation.
Maybe, or maybe it's to prevent said star athlete from competing on an all star team for money. Either that, or MSHSAA might deem that kind of competition as "unfair."

In any case, you do have a point--I doubt anyone would care about this.

DeckardCain

Fantasy Quiz Bowl

Post by DeckardCain »

Given Coach Gibbs' assurance that this is fine, I'm going to go ahead and give a tentative okay - more info soon.

Charbroil

Fantasy Quiz Bowl

Post by Charbroil »

Yay...

By the way, do we (the ones playing) get food? Seeing as how it is during the lunch hour... :)

Charlie Dees

Fantasy Quiz Bowl

Post by Charlie Dees »

Papa John's will gladly give you food if you give them money.

Charbroil

Fantasy Quiz Bowl

Post by Charbroil »

You see...it could be a trifle difficult ordering from Papa John's if we're sitting in a room at Missouri Science and Technology playing this grudge match (or other matches during the tournament)

At the very least, it would be nice if Matt could order the food and then we'd pay him.

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... arbroil</a>, Mar 1 2009, 10:13:06 PM.</div>

Charlie Dees

Fantasy Quiz Bowl

Post by Charlie Dees »

Parkway West notably had pizza delivered to them at NAQT state.

FishyFreshman

Fantasy Quiz Bowl

Post by FishyFreshman »

Yeah Grant brings up a good point. We'd all have to check with our coaches. Ms. Camp is fun and all, but I can't guarantee she'd be for this either. Not only is there a possibility of making MSHSAA angry, but we'd be ditching our teams for lunch and missing out on any team time the coaches may have had in mind. Everyone should make it a point to bring it up with their coaches sometime this week.

AShoaib

Fantasy Quiz Bowl

Post by AShoaib »

Wow, I totally forgot about Harris' consent. John would be down with it (I think...). Hm. We'll ask.

Charbroil

Fantasy Quiz Bowl

Post by Charbroil »

ashkenaziCD wrote:Parkway West notably had pizza delivered to them at NAQT state.
*Shrug* In that case, I'm sure we'll figure something out. It's not that important, anyway.

So...I know Grant, Brandon, and Spencer are on for this on the KC side, and I'm talking to Julia & Kevin. Are you up for this (if your coach will let you), Abdullah? And could one of you KC players contact Zach about it?

ZhangC1459

Fantasy Quiz Bowl

Post by ZhangC1459 »

ashkenaziCD wrote:Parkway West notably had pizza delivered to them at NAQT state.
Yeah, I remember that walking into the lobby holding our cute little box of chicken that was later stolen by some dude from *insert school name here*

CherryCokeStain

Fantasy Quiz Bowl

Charbroil wrote:So...I know Grant, Brandon, and Spencer are on for this on the KC side, and I'm talking to Julia & Kevin. Are you up for this (if your coach will let you), Abdullah? And could one of you KC players contact Zach about it?
I'm not sure you read the posts Spencer and I made about possibly not being able to do it because are coaches wouldn't let us, because we're not definite.

FishyFreshman

Fantasy Quiz Bowl

Post by FishyFreshman »

Blar. I meant to ask Zach today and I forgot. I will try to get ahold of him.

EDIT -> So I just chatted with Zach and he said he was very interested and would check with his coach when we get a little more info.

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... reshman</a>, Mar 2 2009, 09:10:28 PM.</div>

Charbroil

Fantasy Quiz Bowl

Post by Charbroil »

I noticed, Grant, but I was just getting an assessment of which players were interested. I know that you still have to check with your coaches.

Sorry if my wording was a bit vague. And thanks, Spencer!

AShoaib

Fantasy Quiz Bowl

Post by AShoaib »

I'm game if our coach lets us.

Charbroil

Fantasy Quiz Bowl

Post by Charbroil »

I talked to our chaperone for the tournament, and she said that my participation was fine. How about you guys?

AShoaib

Fantasy Quiz Bowl

Post by AShoaib »

Got off the phone with John... he seems to be down with it.

Charbroil

Fantasy Quiz Bowl

Post by Charbroil »

In other words, Team STL is more or less ready to go--the ball's now in your court, Team KC, to see if you guys can make this happen. :)

*Throws down the metaphorical gauntlet* :P

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... arbroil</a>, Mar 5 2009, 09:11:32 PM.</div>

WillHack

Fantasy Quiz Bowl

Post by WillHack »

Looks like Team Will is doing very well. . . .

Did the All-Star game happen?

DeckardCain

Fantasy Quiz Bowl

Post by DeckardCain »

Yes. KC won in a close game.

ELADAMO89

Fantasy Quiz Bowl

Post by ELADAMO89 »

really?
did it require the quizbowl clubs?
but seriously, how close?

DeckardCain

Fantasy Quiz Bowl

Post by DeckardCain »

I heard 30 points... didn't catch the end of it or the final score.

FZW Coach

Fantasy Quiz Bowl

Post by FZW Coach »

280 - 250.

Abdullah (Eureka) was not there and Julia (FZW) chose not to participate. She chose Chinese food instead. After the morning we had, she needed a break. We talked about it on th way there and we were both pretty excited about it. The excitement quickly faded after having to be so intensely focused for 200 straight questions against all of the players that were playing in the game (with the exception of Kevin). I am sorry I missed it. I wanted to see how it played out. I know I enjoyed the St. Charles All-Star game at the end of Two Saints with Charles vs. Julia and David (FH).

FishyFreshman

Fantasy Quiz Bowl

Post by FishyFreshman »

Yeah the game ended up being a blast. I feel like we could have put up more points if we were more focused though haha. Grant and I were still eating halfway through the first half.

We played on an old set NAQT style with non rebounding bonuses.

DeckardCain

Fantasy Quiz Bowl

Post by DeckardCain »

Just for reference, the set that you played was one of the later rounds from the Prison Bowl, a tournament run last month at Hunter HS in New York City and some other places. It's available online at quizbowlpackets.com.

I wish we would have had time to play Grudge Match 2. Oh well.