Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Questions Galore comparison thread #1234567890

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
FZW Coach

Post by FZW Coach »

Or you could make sure you answer the most questions . . . which takes a slightly different skill set than what is needed to excel with NAQT.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Last I checked, you needed to answer the most questions to win games in NAQT.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

All snark aside, the statement that Questions Galore requires a different skill set than NAQT is almost entirely true, and that's the tragedy of the situation.

FishyFreshman

Post by FishyFreshman »

It requires a different set of skills. These skills are not the skills that are necessary to be good at quiz bowl, not just NAQT.

For example, you have to wait until the end of the question, regardless of how much you know about the topic =)

FZW Coach

Post by FZW Coach »

ashkenaziCD wrote:Last I checked, you needed to answer the most questions to win games in NAQT.
Apparently that is not entirely true. FHC averaged (and thus answered a lot more questions) than PCH at Washington University, but lost a close game against them. I would guess that doesn't happen very often, but strange when it does.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Dude, you know I'm talking about in each individual game, right? The reason Parkway Central won the game is because they answered more questions correctly in that particular game, hence making my statement still right.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

That being said, you're also reinforcing Coach Gibbs' original point, which was that when you get to the root of it, this game is about answering questions, be it from Questions Galore or NAQT, and people who try to put the two on separate planets are being excessively melodramatic. (Or at least that's how I saw it).

This argument is hardly a new one. Come on...we all know what each of us thinks of the situation--is it really necessary to rehash this argument again?

FishyFreshman

Post by FishyFreshman »

It's always about answering the most questions. The issue is just that different question styles have to be answered in different ways.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Coach Gibbs was in fact making a distinction between how one wins a game in NAQT-style games as opposed to Questions Galore written games that seems (and is) inaccurate, Charles. So actually in this case, he was putting them on 2 separate planets.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

I would like to voice my EXTREME offense at any comparison between WUHSAC where we take great pains to produce pyramidal, knowledge-rewarding questions to the swill that is Questions Galore which does not. Anyone who wishes to make a counter-argument is hereby on notice for a cage match.

FZW Coach

Post by FZW Coach »

I am not sure why my point was missed here.

I was saying that the different question styles do require different skill sets (such as somewhat different math skills, anticipating key words, etc.). That is all I am saying. That is what I always tell me team. We try to adapt to each tournament we attend.

My secondary point (which again was missed) is that both styles do not necessarily guarentee that the best (or most knowledgable team) will win. I am sure you do not like to hear this, but I have to believe it is true. I know Parkway Central had Rockford B to battle against in the morning, but I guess I was surprised to see how much lower their points were than the other 5 division winners.

I enjoy both styles and have come to respect the benefit of competing in the varying styles. I think that over a season, the differences allow my students to get the most out of the activity as we prepare differently for each.

Unfortunately in both styles, there is a chance that the best team will not win (especially if a large portion of that particular set are deemed unaswerable by the teams playing).

That was my point. I am sorry if it was not clear. I know Charles Dees is always looking for a fight with me rather than an open exchange of ideas, but that was not my intent.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

You may think those things (some of which I will contest) but it really is absurd to expect us to psychically infer any of that of that from the (paraphrased) statement "In Questions Galore matches, in order to win you need to answer the most questions, which is not always the case in NAQT matches." That particular statement is very much what I would call factually inaccurate (since in both kinds of games, you score points by answering questions, and then win the games by scoring more points). Don't come around here accusing us of looking for any opportunity to jump at you and then acting as if we are attacking the above assertions when absolutely NONE of those assertions had been made.

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... enaziCD</a>, Feb 13 2009, 04:30:11 AM.</div>

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

Yeah...in this case, Coach Gibbs, you were a touch on the opaque side--I read the exact opposite argument than the one you were making (I saw an argument that Quiz Bowl is Quiz Bowl, and comparisons putting NAQT & QG on seperate worlds were exaggerated).

As for the WUHSAC issue, I don't think that's necessarily a defining example that pyramidal questions don't reward the better team. Not only was PCH's score depressed by having a stronger preliminary pool, but we made some mistakes which would have allowed us to easily win otherwise.

In any case, I have to admit that I don't see what particular skills playing on Questions Galore is supposed to teach, unless it's not buzzing before the end of the question, which is hardly the point of Quiz Bowl.

FZW Coach

Post by FZW Coach »

Charles Dees,

I apologize if it sounded like I was accusing you of overreacting. I admit I was opaque knowing how you would respond. I, as well as some of the other coaches that read this, do appreciate your opinion when it is not accusatory.

I was really responding to the remark that playing on Questions Galore meant that any team could win. I think that is a silly remark with absolute no validity.

Obviously because of my position, you believe I am a defender of Questions Galore to the death. It is not that as much as I see value in learning opportunities.

Charles Hang, you may argue that questions such as these have no value. I do understand the value (even if I don't believe they give us the best picture of quiz bowl). I am not sure how much I want to go into this, but there is something for a player to be able to quickly digest how the sentence is being formulated with the idea of anticipating where the next key word will be found. You have quick reflexes, take lots of chances that we don't, and probably don't understand what you have gained from the experience since it comes so naturally to you. These experiences have created tons of teaching moments for me.

I do wish we still had Pickerell in the mix. Most believe his questions (even if you hate math) produced true champions. Teams scored well (we scored over 500 at districts; Kirksville had a game over 600). Kirksville was the better team and clearly demonstrated that. That is exactly what I would love to see and will try to make happen in future. As I stated during our May meeting, I felt we were taking a step backwards.

However, perhaps with well constructed discussions (and not just flippant comments without foundation), the community will have gained something from the experience.

WillHack

Post by WillHack »

About the game with FHC, which seems to be used as a potent example here: Yes, our scores were lower than the other bracket winners that day, but we won because we were getting the same types of questions right each game. Current events, literature, history/mythology, and trash seemed to be going our way for the majority of the games, while we missed nearly all of the math, art, etc. questions. Thus, by holding down (many of) our specialties in throughout, we managed to beat other teams with higher scores (including Rockford Auburn B). It was a case of the other team, perhaps, having more knowledge, but our buzzing / depth of knowledge in certain areas / luck coming through.

To address Charles, sure you guys made some mistakes that game, but we did too. I'm quite certain I won't be giving anything away when I say "ukelele." : P

In my view (which is, admittedly, extremely radical) that Quizbowl is a kind of sport because of the buzzing ability required, I find "giveaway clues" to be an important aspect, although it ought not to come up too often. This doesn't apply with QG, frequently, because the clues are misleading in the beginning.

The problem I think Charles H is pointing out is that when the questions contain only ridiculously difficult and ridiculously easy clues, as is often the case with QG, then there isn't much opportunity to take away from that question a greater depth of knowledge on the subject. If the question gives you the eating habits of an author, then tells you that he wrote "A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court," you haven't learned much new about Mark Twain.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

I'm really disappointed that QG doesn't have any sample questions posted to their website. Every single one of these discussions has not had any solid examples of QG questions with explanations as why they are bad (minus the example Abdullah posted in the Two Saints thread). Obviously, don't post anything from this year's sets, but if you have something from a previous year I'd really like to see some better evidence than this constant rehashing of the same argument.

FishyFreshman

Post by FishyFreshman »

I am looking for some questions, will post them when I find them.

rjaguar3

Post by rjaguar3 »

Greetings.

I am familiar with QG in two ways. First, they provide the questions for a local Nashville quizbowl show that I make fun of every Sunday night. Second, our high school bought their questions for a F/S tournament and asked me to edit them to get rid of hoses. In previous years, they had gems of questions like these:

"The 16th Amendment was ratified in 1913. On which day do most Americans file their income tax returns?"

"The women blast off! Who was the first woman in space?" (Answer on page: Sally Ride)

A question about the Roman goddess of agriculture that had the answer as "cereal"

"What singer's name can be rearranged to spell 'narcoleptic'?"

I have all 9 packets in their original form on my computer. Unfortunately, since they are still going to be used, I cannot post any questions. However, I can make some general observations:

1. The math is very computation-oriented. Most questions do not require any math skills beyond basic arithmetic learned in elementary school. The ones that require math theoretical knowledge require excessive computation (Jeff Price passed a rule in IESA that multiplying by 3.14 was no longer required for answers in pi, which QG had been doing). Additionally, there are many hoses throughout the math questions as they ask for unusual constraints or unexpected answers.

2. Many questions begin with 1-2 lines of lead-in fluff before actually giving a clue that someone could confidently buzz in on. What part of the question was left was filled with CLOOS which were useless fluff irrelevant to why the subject is worth knowing. Once the questions are cleared, I'll post the most egregious example I found.

3. There were at least 5 clear factual errors in the questions I edited.

4. There were several cross-over clues. No pop-culture crossovers that I could tell, though.

In all, don't EVER buy QG questions, and don't play tournaments on QG questions; they will cause you nothing but trouble.

If you have any questions for me, let me know.

FishyFreshman

Post by FishyFreshman »

We had one that just asked how long it takes a chicken egg to hatch.
Also the longest flight by a chicken.

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... reshman</a>, Feb 13 2009, 05:43:43 PM.</div>

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

FishyFreshman wrote:Also the longest flight by a chicken.
I thought this one was from a Truman JV packet, which was written by their Varsity team.

FishyFreshman

Post by FishyFreshman »

Hm. Might have been. I know the egg one was GQ though. Just read it the other day.

redliberte

Post by redliberte »

rjaguar3 wrote:"What singer's name can be rearranged to spell 'narcoleptic'?"
Eric Clapton.

Right? heh heh.

ajax

Post by ajax »

These questions are as bad as the immortal question

"How many chucks of wood can the woodchunk chunk?"

Even the humor intended in the question is Cheesy

FishyFreshman

Post by FishyFreshman »

What modern day country is associated with the term Caledonia?
-Scotland

Who wrote the collection of poems entitled Leaves of Grass?
-Whitman

Examples of 1 clue buzzer races with just 10 words. Someone explain how getting this question tests knowledge rather than speed.

WOW is so much cooler tha

Post by WOW is so much cooler tha »

FishyFreshman wrote:Who wrote the collection of poems entitled Leaves of Grass?
Georgia O'Keeffe!

rjaguar3

Post by rjaguar3 »

FishyFreshman wrote:What modern day country is associated with the term Caledonia?
-Scotland

Who wrote the collection of poems entitled Leaves of Grass?
-Whitman

Examples of 1 clue buzzer races with just 10 words. Someone explain how getting this question tests knowledge rather than speed.
You're forgetting the part where they have the wrong answer on the paper. Where you have Whitman, that should be Dickinson. :P

AShoaib

Post by AShoaib »

You forgot bonuses on different types of curtains.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

I was really responding to the remark that playing on Questions Galore meant that any team could win. I think that is a silly remark with absolute no validity.
Yeah, I'll ditto that--but to be honest, I think Spencer and some of the others just like to joke about that. We've had this discussion before, and the general consensus was just that QG was too random in its winners, as opposed to perfectly random.
Charles Hang, you may argue that questions such as these have no value.
It's not so much the fact that they have no value--after all, any experience has value--but in many cases, Questions Galore doesn't even have the value you describe--of anticipating the answer based on structure, etc. What value is there to being tricked by a question which describes a book for its entirety before asking for the author? What value is there to having a question which (as you described about another tournament) has three plausible answers until the giveaway? I remember how you've always wished for someone aggressive like Teri...but would that do you any good on QG? All our aggressiveness got us playing you in Two Saints playoffs was 3 mistakes in a row 4th quarter, which clinched the game for you.
I do wish we still had Pickerell in the mix.
Hmm...about that--doesn't NAQT also write questions in other formats for customers that request those formats (I recall reading that somewhere, maybe on the national forum, but I can't find where)? Why not talk to them as MACA president about bidding for MSHSAA's contract for next year using questions along the lines of their A-sets, formatted into MSHSAA style (and distribution)? The A-sets seem fairly similar to Pickrell's questions (roughly 3 lines, pyramidal).

It might also be a good idea to advise MSHSAA to remove the restriction which keeps question providers from reusing their questions in other states--it doesn't really make sense in light of MSHSAA's 250 mile rule. Why not just say that those questions can be reused in states where Missouri tournaments are forbidden from participating in tournaments?

FishyFreshman

Post by FishyFreshman »

I honestly believe that playing on Questions Galore have no benefit whatsoever. If anything, it strengthens bad habits and just makes things worse. You are right about us overexaggerating the randomness of results played on QG, but you are right on with saying that they are just TOO random.

NKCtrashman

Post by NKCtrashman »

the QG sets are so incredibly comical at times. Ridiculious minutiae about not even close to canonical things. Math problems that are obviously not possible in 15 seconds, gross factual inaccuracies, questions go from pulse-check easy to impossible to know. They had a C.S. Lewis toss up too obscure for Grant (sort of, it didnt have a real answer). i, at times, find it difficult to not laugh out loud at a question. oh, btw thanks MSHSAA for the marathon super long games. I feel like i just did the Ironman competition after every round. with that said, SJC did a great job hosting. i was happy to see moderators voice complaints about the QG rounds.

PS. i want to echo everything that Spencer said.

FishyFreshman

Post by FishyFreshman »

God those rounds were long. It took over an hour for some of them.

nkc derek

Post by nkc derek »

Yeah, SJC was great in that they took time to edit the questions themselves and make them as presentable as possible.

Htownrep

Post by Htownrep »

FishyFreshman wrote:I honestly believe that playing on Questions Galore have no benefit whatsoever. If anything, it strengthens bad habits and just makes things worse. You are right about us overexaggerating the randomness of results played on QG, but you are right on with saying that they are just TOO random.
Id have yo agree that playing on QG has absolutely no benefit whatsoever. They are very random and at times can be to obscure.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

I loved watching you guys practice on QG stuff...hilarious!

Htownrep

Post by Htownrep »

Yeah,it was pretty bad..

Fresh Prince of Bradleyville

Post by Fresh Prince of Bradleyville »

Yes, I must agree with the majority of everybody. I've seen some bad questions, but nothing and I mean nothing that compares to this. When I found out they were writing the questions I thought to myself, "Oh crap, I don't have enough time to speed up my thumb reflexes." Luckily, I play I similarly terrible questions in my conferences and got some really good training in.

rjaguar3

Post by rjaguar3 »

On Monday, I will be at Wheaton North, where I can find the "Best Of" Questions Galore's questions from previous years. I'll post them here.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

For reference, this post in the 2009 Lexington Varsity thread is a detailed analysis of what I observed of the seven rounds of Questions Galore questions used at the Lexington Varsity tournament on March 21, 2009. Being perhaps the longest post in the history of this message board, this post will give you plenty of details and examples regarding the numerous problems with Questions Galore's product.
Last edited by Jeffrey Hill on Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: update link to phpbb3

CherryCokeStain

Post by CherryCokeStain »

Wasn't there a drunken raving a year or so a go about racism is quizbowl that was a little longer than that? Or am I combining two different posts? I remember a claim of NAQT's racism because Ken Jennings was a Mormon.

FishyFreshman

Post by FishyFreshman »

Cameron has compiled our stats from a few QG tournaments we played on and compared them to our performance at Rolla Spring. On QG we are barely breaking 50% as a team, while on the questions at Rolla we are over 70%.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Yeah, I'm pretty firmly convinced that once we get more widespread statistics between NAQT/HSAPQ sets and Questions Galore we'll be able to show that actually, the pyramidal sets are much easier for teams to play on, even if they seem somehow harder to coaches because they have more clues that players aren't buzzing off of.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

FishyFreshman wrote:Cameron has compiled our stats from a few QG tournaments we played on and compared them to our performance at Rolla Spring. On QG we are barely breaking 50% as a team, while on the questions at Rolla we are over 70%.
ashkenaziCD wrote:Yeah, I'm pretty firmly convinced that once we get more widespread statistics between NAQT/HSAPQ sets and Questions Galore we'll be able to show that actually, the pyramidal sets are much easier for teams to play on, even if they seem somehow harder to coaches because they have more clues that players aren't buzzing off of.
Does Cameron have Liberty's averages broken down by tournament? That kind of tournament-specific data would be great evidence to support this.

I will take a look at the scores from UMR Spring and compare them to Lexington, and post some kind of summary in a little bit.

FishyFreshman

Post by FishyFreshman »

Yes, he does. He has stat breakdowns by category for most of our tournaments.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Small school:

Highest score by a winner: 290 (Rd 1., Hallsville A vs Meadville 40; Rd 2., Hallsville A vs. Lone Jack 70)
Out of 39 games played, not one team can break 300 in a SINGLE game!
Average winning score: 176.67 (by round: 167.78, 162.78, 181.11, 202.5, 177.5, 197.5, 185)
The average winner doesn't even score 20% of the possible points!

Highest combined score: 400 (Rd. 4, Richland A 270, Richland B 130)
Out of 39 games played, the best combined performance scores an astounding 44.4% of the possible points!
Average combined score: 264.62 (by round: 235.56, 233.89, 268.89, 316.25, 278.75, 345, 302.5)
On the average, both teams can't even convert 30% of the possible points!

Top 5 of 19 ppg:
Hallsville A - 1515 pts in 6 games = 252.50
Richland A - 1245 pts in 7 games = 177.86 (Laura Sprague not in attendance)
St. Joseph Christian - 700 pts in 4 games = 175.00
Lexington - 825 pts in 5 games = 165.00
Cameron - 795 pts in 5 games = 159.00

Average ppg: 132.31
On average, each team could only convert about 15% of the points!

now compare to UMR Spring Small School:

Highest score by a winner: 425 (Rd 3, Fordland vs. Crocker 70)
This is higher than the highest combined score on Questions Galore!
Average winning score: 233.53

Highest combined score: 495 (Rd. 3, Fordland 425, Crocker 70)
Average combined score: 333.24 (about 37.0% of the total possible points)

Top 5 ppg (of only 7 teams in attendance):
Fordland - 316.2
Salem A - 283.3
Hancock A - 163.0
Houston - 127.5
Salem B - 137.0

Average ppg: 166.62 (about 18.5%)

While it isn't a direct comparison of the same teams, this indicates that small schools do about 25% better on NAQT questions (33% better winning scores).

I realized while I was doing this in Excel that it would be easier to do in SQBS, so I will enter the large school scores into SQBS and then compare from that. The large school data should be a much better comparison as Liberty, NKC, and Savannah were at both tournaments. In any case, the fact that no team was able to break 300 and the highest combined performance was 400 should make it perfectly clear that these questions are unanswerable.

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... /88961/'>U. Lou Sthagaim</a>, Mar 29 2009, 10:09:55 PM.</div>

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Large school shows a much more dramatic difference:

Questions Galore

Highest score by a winner: 410 (Rd 3., Savannah vs Staley 45)
Out of 42 games played, 400 was only broken ONCE! 300 was only broken 5 times!
Average winning score: 227.86 (by round: 206.0, 207.5, 248.5, 278.75, 225.0, 262.5, 205.0)
The average winning score is barely above 25% of the possible points!

Highest combined score: 480 (Rd. 3, NKC 255, Liberty 225)
Out of 42 games played, the best combined game only scores 53.3% of the possible points!
Average combined score: 348.69 (by round: 311.5, 309.0, 359.5, 392.5, 407.5, 442.5, 380.0)
On the average, both teams can't even convert 40% of the possible points!

Top 5 of 19 ppg:
Savannah 283.33
Liberty 245.7
Kearney A 240.0
Park Hill 233.33
North Kansas City 216.7 (without Brandon)

Average ppg: 174.35
On average, each team could only convert about 19.4% of the points!

now compare to UMR Spring Large School on NAQT questions:

Highest score by a winner: 580 (Rd 5, NKC vs. Mehlville 60)
This is 100 points higher than the highest combined score on Questions Galore!
Average winning score: 401.61 points (this is higher than the average COMBINED score on Questions Galore! That's right, winners at UMR Spring scored more than BOTH teams combined on Questions Galore!)

Highest combined score: 760 (Rd. 2, FHC 385, Liberty 375)
Average combined score: 611.25 (about 68% of the total possible points)

Top 7 ppg (of only 10 teams in attendance):
North Kansas City 441.4
FHC 405.0
Liberty 357.1
Savannah 347.0
Eureka 342.9
Fort Zumwalt West 285.0
DeSmet 251.0

That's right, 6 teams did better at UMR Spring than EVERY SINGLE TEAM on Questions Galore, and DeSmet's average was only bested by Savannah's QG average!

Average ppg: 305.63 (about 34% of total possible points)

Based on the straight average of each tournament, teams did 75% better on NAQT questions! Given the field strength at UMR, this number is skewed a little high, so here are PPG comparisons of the three teams that attended both tournaments:
North Kansas City: 441.4 on NAQT, 216.7 on QG (without Brandon)
Liberty: 357.1 on NAQT, 245.7 on QG
Savannah: 347.0 on NAQT, 283.33 on QG

For SQBS reports (Lexington only has scores but you can see nonindividual stats like PPG, PAPG, averages per round, etc. Also, teams that won tiebreakers have one extra point on the affected games.):
UMR Spring Large: here
Lexington Large: here

Teams are converting over 2/3 of the points on NAQT - they are NOT hard; they are, in fact, significantly more accessible, AND do a better job of determining the better team because they are all pyramidal and much more consistent!

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... /88961/'>U. Lou Sthagaim</a>, Mar 25 2009, 10:59:22 AM.</div>

FishyFreshman

Post by FishyFreshman »

Not that it matters a whole lot, but NKC's spread between QG and Rolla was partially due to having Brandon at Rolla and not at Lexington. That's why it's so much larger.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Gateway Athletic Conference on Questions Galore

Highest score by a winner: 420 (Rd 3., FZW vs FZN 95)
Average winning score: 290 (by round: 300, 310, 300, 252.5, 267.5)

Highest combined score: 590 (Rd. 2, FHC 310, FZW 280)
Average combined score: 434.6 (by round: 403.33, 486.67, 436.67, 357.5, 477.5)

All ppg:
FZW 335 ppg
FHC 271 ppg
FHH 252.5 ppg
Warrenton 171.25 ppg
FHN 145.0 ppg
Troy 107.5 ppg
FZN 91.7 ppg

Average ppg: 217.31

Direct comparison against UMR Spring:
FHC: 405.0 at UMR, 271 on QG
FZW 285.0 at UMR*, 335 on QG**

*against opponents FHC, Liberty, NKC, Savannah with overall average 390.76 ppg
** against opponents FHC, FZN, FHN, Warrenton with overall average 183.33 ppg

So scores were a little better here than at Lexington

EDIT: Added FZW opponent PPG average for QG

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... /88961/'>U. Lou Sthagaim</a>, Mar 28 2009, 09:20:10 PM.</div>

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

Yeah...just to note, Zumwalt West got 50 more PPG than we did because they had really weak opposition in all of their matches not against us, while we had strong opposition other than them (Howell), and I wasn't there in the first 1 3/4 matches (Round 1 vs. Troy and all but the last quarter of Round 2 vs. FZW).

richbob

Post by richbob »

Richland's scores were influenced by Laura Sprague not attending the Lexington Tournament. She was attending a church related trip with our blessings. Knowing that we would probably not get to play any games in district, we decided to take the three hour drive to Lexington to get more practice on his questions.

Bob Brown

FZW Coach

Post by FZW Coach »

Is this where Charles Dees said I was supposed to respond? I don't see anything.

Great analysis, by the way! I am glad you all put forth the efforts. I do find it quite interesting.

By the way, I think all of this started because I took some slight offense to the fact that Charles Hang said that the general impression towards the GAC tournament questions were negative. That was not the case whatsoever. You can certainly argue that the programs are not as sophisticated enough to recognize bad questions. I just didn't want to let that little comment to Sean pass as the general view of the GAC conference when I had so vehemently disagreed with his lawyering of banning the eight of us who supported Questions Galore (I may have voted against this one . . . I know there were a few times when I was the only one who voted against something . . . actually, I think it was the rule where you do not have to repeat the entire question . . the vote was 7 - 1 on that one).