Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

NAQT Missouri Qualifier Predictions

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
MJones

Post by MJones »

So NAQT State is this Saturday. Does anyone have any predictions?

Here is the feild in case you didn't know:

Clayton
Dixon
Fordland
Francis Howell Central (2)
Ladue (2)
Helias
Mehlville
Parkway Central
Parkway West (2)
North Kansas City
Savannah
Richland

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

The team that can power a tossup on "Pizza Delivery" will win.

FishyFreshman

Post by FishyFreshman »

NKC by a wide margin.
After that, I think Savannah

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

*Shrug* It's going to be down to us (FHC), Ladue, NKC, and Savannah, and yeah, NKC is probably the favorite, then Savannah...and I don't know how good Ladue is.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Isn't Ladue not going with their best player?

WillHack

Post by WillHack »

Ladue will still be good, though.

I'm saying NKC, FHC, Ladue, Savannah.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

I'm not going to make a prediction on this tournament for obvious reasons, but I just wanted to say how thrilled I am that the NAQT qualifier has drawn such a tough field. Just making the playoffs at this tournament will be an accomplishment, and it's great for the best teams in the state to be able to play each other on legitimate pyramidal questions.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

DeckardCain wrote:I'm not going to make a prediction on this tournament for obvious reasons, but I just wanted to say how thrilled I am that the NAQT qualifier has drawn such a tough field. Just making the playoffs at this tournament will be an accomplishment, and it's great for the best teams in the state to be able to play each other on legitimate pyramidal questions.
This.

Last year's tournament, with the exception of NKC, was basically a typical regional tournament except on good questions; this time it is so much closer to being a true tournament of the best teams all over the state. I'm so excited for it; Saturday can't come soon enough.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Yeah, I'm in the exact same boat. I remember it was just a couple months when we were concerned about maybe having to cancel it, and now suddenly we have a really awesome field with lots of the top teams from around the state showing up. This is truly amazing stuff, and I like to hope that this trend will continue into next year. I'm so completely looking forward to what should be a completely legit alternate to the state championship this weekend with the combination of an awesome field and good questions. Best of luck to every team.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

...you were worried about having to cancel it? When?

WillHack

Post by WillHack »

Ooh, it will be good, but I still wouldn't quite call it a legit state championship. Ignoring everything else, Liberty won't be there.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

*Shrug* Only one of Liberty, Savannah, and NKC will be there at the actual state competition, and only one of us, FZW, Kirksville, and Hickman. At the very least, purely in terms of attending teams, this will be as legitimate as the actual championship.

Of course, there's also the issue of the questions, and with that in mind, this competition is certainly above the MSHSAA one.

<div class="editby">Edited by <a href='http://s4.zetaboards.com/Academic_Compe ... arbroil</a>, Feb 19 2009, 08:32:27 PM.</div>

WillHack

Post by WillHack »

Charles is right. This is the best we can do, for now. Just wish the system were closer to perfect.

FishyFreshman

Post by FishyFreshman »

Heh, this competition will be far more legit than the "real" state. The "real" state is going to be meaningless.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Yeah, I mean, more of the top teams from the state of Missouri will be attending this than MSHSAA state, the questions should be a fairer way of distinguishing between them, and the number of games should be enough to allow the best team to prove themselves as opposed to three randomly drawn prelim matches and then a single elimination of the top 4 teams. Sure, the field could potentially have been stronger by the addition of one contending team and a couple other non-contenders who would still do well, but given all of these factors together, I have no problem labeling this a legitimate state title with the average field strength present, and I hold hopes that in the future it could become even more legit.

AShoaib

Post by AShoaib »

Heh, this competition will be far more legit than the "real" state. The "real" state is going to be meaningless.
Be quiet-- I'm reading up on my curtain styles for state. >_>

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

Say, Abdullah, why aren't you guys coming to the Qualifier, anyway? If you guys were there, it would make the Qualifier even more legitimate.

And are you going to Missouri S&T Spring on the 7th of March?

FishyFreshman

Post by FishyFreshman »

I am not sure why Liberty isn't going, but we are going to the other Rolla tournament.

AShoaib

Post by AShoaib »

I don't know why we're not going, but we ARE going 7 March

FishyFreshman

Post by FishyFreshman »

Woot. I was right with my top two. I understand it was pretty close though.