Team Missouri A finishes sixth in all-star tournament!
Congratulations to Team Missouri A for earning sixth place out of twenty-nine teams in the 2018 National All-Star Academic Tournament! Team Missouri B finished in nineteenth place.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:39 am

How to Recruit New Talent During the Season 

Post How to Recruit New Talent During the Season
Okay, so this may be a somewhat stupid post, but I am looking for the quizbowl elders to give me some advice on different kinds of recruiting after this statement.

Of course, I have done some recruiting before, but that was with people I knew as friends who had a high level of intelligence. This is a totally different story.

Recently, a new student moved to our school district from Ava. Okay I shouldn't say moved because she had a choice between Bradleyville and Ava, she chose Ava at first. Anyway, she is enrolled in a few of the same classes as my younger brother, and according to what I've heard, she is ridiculously smart, having been enrolled in multiple honors classes, including math, history, and Spanish.

According to what she told his class, she was through nine chapters in her geometry class, has a very good understanding in history, and not to mention, according to my Spanish teacher, she is much further ahead when it comes to grammar, reading, pronounciation, and comprehension. My teacher even said that this new student seems extremely sharp.

My question to the group is this: How do you recruit such a high risk-high reward player that has only been in a new school for two days? It seems to me that she has found a group to hang out with, and of that group, one is a very good friend of my family. Should I use this to my advantage to get the missing piece that could skyrocket our team to the top of class 1?

Any help that you guys could provide would greatly be appreciated by myself and our team.

Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:50 pm

I can't help you there. I have trouble getting even my friends who are smart to do quiz bowl. They say things like "I don't want to waste my whole Saturday", "Those other guys are nerds" and "That big guy Bubbles scares me". I'd like some advice on this too.

Or maybee they're just lazy....

Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:45 am

To Colten, I would say just go for it. Say something like "Hey, I've got a question. I do a thing called quizbowl, and I think you might like it since you really seem to know a lot of stuff" (feel free to modify that as necessary)in a conversation with her and then probably explain to her what it is/when you meet. I don't know that there's much else you can actively do beyond that to recruit her, but it sounds like your best bet. In other words, don't be afraid to go for it.
In general, my recruiting experience in high school was a mix of team members bringing their smart friends in to practice (that's how we got Christine my sophomore year), putting up lots of flyers in the first couple of months at school, and announcements about our team. I know we used to put up a little booth at some kind of student activities fair, but as far as I know that's over. Perhaps you have something like that you could make use of. In any case, I would recommend somehow publicizing your practices. That has the potential to attract some more kids (or it could be seen by a parent, who then pushes their kid into it. If I recall correctly that was actually how Brandon started). As an odd side note, the only reason I even am involved in quizbowl is by a pure fluke where I followed a dude who was on the team into practice to get him to give me something he had, and by pure chance I was there when the practice started and got told to sit down at a buzzer, and then have been hooked strongly since then.
In any case, if you are looking for more potential recruiting solutions you can instant message me or something (SN is ThrowinUpTs) since I just started a team and had to directly do almost all of the recruiting for it, so I might have some more suggestions for you.

Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:02 am

That is interesting about the nerd aspect. I am not sure why that is. I think we have mostly put that to rest. It takes more than just being smart to do well at quiz bowl and those that show up at our practices quickly see that.

For your situation, have your coach invite her to a practice to see if she likes it. We invite close to 100 to our first practice; this year about 42 showed up. Most stay; some don't.

Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:25 am

Of course we are "nerds." But why would that possibly be a bad thing? Most of our recruits are friends that get asked to come. I believe we also talk to teachers and send out little notes to freshmen and sophomores who have shown some talent in school.

Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:46 pm

To Charlie, thank you for the advice. After posting this, I realized our school openly informs people of our practices through its broadcasting program. If she doesn't find out that way, I will just have to meet and talk to her. If I can't do that, my brother gets his first experience in how a quizbowl captain recruits. Chances are though, he will whimp out.

To add:
Chococheesey, we have on our team what you call "cool" nerds, hard as it is to say. Two of our better players are actually varsity basketball starters, many are band members, and one even cheerleads.

Mr. Gibbs, while I can't say we have 42 members on our team, we do have 15, hopefully to be soon 16, granted Bradleyville probably exactly have the attendance of Fort Zumault West.

Sun Nov 23, 2008 1:37 am

Date her, that should work.

Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:55 am

Hmm...I had some issues with this too. At the end of my sophomore year, my team was at a bit of a nadir--we often had trouble fully staffing a JV & a Varsity team for our Fall Two Saints series. Junior year, I talked to a bunch of people I knew--mostly seniors & juniors--and managed to stitch together enough people to at least fill two full teams.

This year, I've gone into industrial scale recruiting. Last year, I took a hint from Coach Gibbs & the Fort Zumwalt West team and started giving teachers advertisements to give to people; I expanded that this year, posting flyers in those classrooms, as well as posting flyers everywhere...on our players' lockers, on the bulletin boards...one dangling from the roof of the Gifted Program classroom...

Even with that recruiting effort, though, I've found that apparently, the most effective method of recruiting is just by word of mouth. Of the approximately 6-8 new players we have this year, the overwhelming majority is there because someone told them about Quiz Bowl and persistently asked them to come.

As for the nerd aspect...Mr. Gibbs, you have to admit that the overwhelming majority of Scholar Quiz players is made up of nerds. I mean, think about your Varsity A team...half of it attended the Missouri Scholars Academy (aka, Nerd Camp), so did a quarter of your B team, and consistently for the last three years at least, MSA graduates have been the backbone of your team (ex: Teri, Danielle). At a glance, the rest of your team would, in my mind, also qualify as nerdy...especially the higher scoring members. There's nothing wrong with that--it's true for us, overwhelmingly, as well--but it's something that seems fairly apparent.

Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:35 am

50% of our Varsity team are MSA alumni (Kevin and Spencer). QB is a big MSA reunion (or so Kevin tells me).

I just got Shanghai-ed into it by my Latin teacher-- our coach. Friends that were in QB told me it was fun, so I took a stab at it. Our coach sort of recruits the best and brightest... and its worked so far it seems.

Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:43 pm

AShoaib wrote:
QB is a big MSA reunion (or so Kevin tells me).
That sums it up rather nicely. :D

Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:34 pm

johnboy81918 wrote:
Date her, that should work.
worked for me.

Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:02 pm

Charbroil wrote:
AShoaib wrote:
QB is a big MSA reunion (or so Kevin tells me).
That sums it up rather nicely. :D
No kidding. Every time we played Hallsville, it was like a battle of the Academies!

Sun Nov 23, 2008 11:23 pm

I would just like to point out that once you get to the college level, the "ultra nerdy" behavior of quizbowlers tends to die off. You would be hard pressed to find someone who can't relate socially or who is obsessed with internet memes on a national championship college (or even high school) team.

Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:53 pm

Not that we're a national championship team, but Charles's point holds true for us too--we're mostly the "cool nerds" as someone put it earlier, or at least the ones who are fairly socially well adjusted.

Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:08 pm

Yeah, while I think anyone who regularly spends weekends answering questions is a nerd by definition, most people I run into in the college (and high school, to a slightly lesser extent) quizbowl circuits don't really fall into the nerd stereotype.

To answer the original question: it's been my experience that there's not really a whole lot you can do to convince someone who isn't interested in quizbowl to stick around. I'd concentrate on getting her to come to a practice or two and see what it's all about, and if it's something she enjoys, she'll stick around.

Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:55 pm
Profile WWW

I didn't really mean we were the antisocial kind of nerd. Just that we are smart and tend to enjoy learning and video games and stuff, like a "nerd."

Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:15 am

Yeah, we're not just a bunch of geeks hidden in our bedrooms playing World of Warcraft and drinking soda all day (and night). (Well, some people might). We're the people who know random, possibly useless knowledge and inwardly laugh at the people who fail because they text in class all day. We realize what's fun or worthwhile and we do it instead of what other people might think is 'cool'.

Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:26 am

I do almost everything mentioned in that post.

Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:36 pm

Same here. I'm not antisocial, but I do drink a ton of soda, and while I don't play WoW, I have that kind of addiction to Fallout 3.

By the way, I talked to our coach, she talked to her, and we will see her at the next practice. Needless to say, THIS IS AWESOME!

Fri Dec 05, 2008 9:29 pm

dating does seem to help...

Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:02 pm

Since we're talking about it again, ac team always seemed to get me into relationships rather than the other way around. . . .

Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:44 pm

Pick people who normally don't do quiz bowl. Yeah, mostly intelligent people do quiz bowl, but intelligence has many forms. A kid may not act smart due to social ridicule, but if invited as a possible strength, the kid may step up and prove his/her inner intelligence.
Another help is to watch for people with photographic memory, this really helps, although it has to be focused and strong or it leads to confusion. The way to tell is to ask an academic question to them and see their eyes move as if reading a book in their minds.

Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:28 am

Well AJ, simply speaking you see, Bradleyville has all in all about 160 students in high school. Most of the people on this board probably have classes 10 times this size. People all in all have experienced quiz bowl in some way, shape, or form, and most don't think it's much fun. However, we do get people from which you least expect knowledge. We have one player who is actually pretty good... he just doesn't show it during class, in fact it was a miracle he passed all of his classes for all the time he was out of school.

Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:52 pm