Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Testing the waters on a NAQT qualifiing Tournament

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

The UMR ACO is looking to run a tournament sometime next year. We would probably hold it between districts and state. It would be open to any teams from missouri. With the winner earning a bid to the NAQT national tournament (site TBA)
Let me know what you think or if you have any questions. Also there needs to be a way to edit the topics of threads.

tjeffschool

Post by tjeffschool »

MSHSAA forbids teams from competing during the break between districts and state.

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

We will see, george owes me a favor

missouriacademic

Post by missouriacademic »

I always thought that was a pretty dumb rule, in my opinion it would be beneficial to teams to get to compete again before state. I for one would like to see it changed.

wca

Post by wca »

Speaking for my team, even though I won't be there next year, we would love to participate in an NAQT style tournament. It would be great to introduce the format to Missouri and maybe get more recognition for the Show-Me state on the national level. That said, the idea of negging does not exicte me...but powering a toss-up does.

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

We run the NAQT style at the UMR tournament (we took out the negs and becasue those were gone so were the powers) explaining some of the other things about the style to some of the teams was an all day affair. I could not imagine how much that would of dumb founded some coaches. Also good luck in college without negs, what school have you decided on?

wca

Post by wca »

I am looking at Wheaton College and Moody Bible Institute, neither of which have teams to my knowledge. Do you know if colleges allow non-students to play on their teams? Sort of scholar bowl mercenaries :ph43r:

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

most tournaments will, all except the "district" and national tournament. you should give UMR a try

;)