Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Player movement

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
Charlie Dees

Player movement

Post by Charlie Dees »

So at this point a lot of seniors have picked their colleges. Where are you going, and are you interested in playing quizbowl there?

socalcaptain

Player movement

Post by socalcaptain »

Well, Charlie, as you well know, I have chosen MU and of course I plan to continue playing.

Charlie Dees

Player movement

Post by Charlie Dees »

OK, so... what about people with teammates who are graduating? If you know of graduating seniors, post em here. As for NKC, I'm the only graduating senior and you probably already know I'm going to MU.

FordATeam/CC

Player movement

Post by FordATeam/CC »

Chad has looked into getting a team going at College of the Ozarks and says he has talked to a few who are interested in joining.

ELADAMO89

Player movement

Post by ELADAMO89 »

i just finished my junior year
but if and when i go to pitt state
i plan on trying to get a team going

MST Mahan

Player movement

Post by MST Mahan »

I am going to MST and i hope to be playing there, I talked to Matt a while back, but I don't know much at this point. The rest of my team are going to OTC or MSU... so they aren't playing.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Player movement

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

MST Mahan wrote: I am going to MST and i hope to be playing there, I talked to Matt a while back, but I don't know much at this point. The rest of my team are going to OTC or MSU... so they aren't playing.
You will increase our membership by 33%! (Yeah... we have 3 returning members, though hopefully holding intramurals the first week of classes will help us out, especially since TMCE and I will be graduating next spring.)

Practices are tentatively at 6pm on Mon and Weds in McNutt 212, though that might change. Matt will update the website when the time has been officially set.

DeckardCain

Player movement

Post by DeckardCain »

ScoBo1987 wrote: Practices are tentatively at 6pm on Mon and Weds in McNutt 212, though that might change. Matt will update the website when the time has been officially set.
This is in fact now set; I got confirmation from Student Life this morning.

I've heard that MSU may have a team next year, so hopefully anyone going there will consider playing. I'm definitely looking forward to playing all of the prospective new teams next year.

FishyFreshman

Player movement

Post by FishyFreshman »

I think Dobson is going to Rolla. Isedua is going to Princeton. Allie is going to Central Missouri or something?

redliberte

Player movement

Post by redliberte »

i thought what allie said at that practice i was at was missouri state...

Ravi Fernando

Player movement

Post by Ravi Fernando »

All of KV's varsity-starting seniors are leaving MO: Evan is going to Pomona, Joseph is going to Beloit, and Laura is going to Yale.

socalcaptain

Player movement

Post by socalcaptain »

South Callaway's senior quiz bowlers' colleges:

[Player, College, QB Status]

Alex - Mizzou - Yes
Dak - Mizzou - Probably not
Leah - Mizzou - Doubt it
Phil - Mizzou - I'm going with no
Mark - Westminster - N/A
Jerry - enlisted with Navy - N/A

FishyFreshman

Player movement

Post by FishyFreshman »

You are probably right Stef, we have people going to lots of MO schools and I can't keep track of them. As far as any of our seniors playing in college, I don't really know.

Ford08

Player movement

Post by Ford08 »

Yah, I have to talk to the Dean of Student affairs and activities to ok it then get a professor to sponsor it. It is the only way C of O will allow me to a thing like that. There are a few that are intrested in the freshman class so I figure there would be a few upperclassmen as well that would be intrested.

1st year goal pending permission: I would like to start a team that meets 2 or 3 times a week and study and practice. Mabey a few mock tournaments and such, and write sets for local tournaments. Small tournaments that is.

2nd year: Compete a little go out with other colleges in Mo and do like a state wide thing. That would be fun. Obviously I would still do the first year goals. I would just apply the previous goal to the following year as well.

3rd year: Compete nationally, Host a tournament for HS on NAQT questions. Then on our own questions.

4th year: Make it a tradation to do the previous things every year.

I know some of these goals may be far fetched, and I know It will depend on the amount of dedication and caliber of players I have. I would like to see this happen. If anyone has any suggestions feel free to let me know. Also All tounaments would need to be on the weekends since C of O do not allow fresman to leave campus throughout the week.

DeckardCain

Player movement

Post by DeckardCain »

Those sound like realistic goals to me, though I'm not sure it's necessary to wait until the second year to begin competing (unless this is a C of O thing and not a team thing). Tournaments are fun, and the promise of a few out of town trips is likely to increase interest. If funding is an issue, most TDs are willing to make special arrangements for new programs.

Not being able to leave campus during the week shouldn't be an issue, as the vast majority of tournaments are on Saturdays. There may be one or two on Sundays (usually trash) and NAQT ICT starts play on Friday evening, but those are pretty much the only exceptions.

Charlie Dees

Player movement

Post by Charlie Dees »

Yeah, I second the get out to tournaments as soon as possible move, especially since there will be a ton of tournaments in the area next year.

Ford08

Player movement

Post by Ford08 »

Ok, I shall see if it is feasible. I would like to go out and compete as early as possible but I do not want to scare some of the players that haven‘t competed before. We are allowed to leave Friday at like 6 so anything later than that I am sure would be fine. I think that more colleges are going to start to have teams so that will make it easier for smaller schools such as C of O to compete with other schools. I think that there will be enough interest to start playing so we will probably get out and play.

jazzerpoet

Player movement

Post by jazzerpoet »

Last I heard, Jason Loy will be attending graduate school (and playing quiz bowl) at Missouri State, so they should be instantly competitive.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Player movement

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

Ravi Fernando wrote: All of KV's varsity-starting seniors are leaving MO: Evan is going to Pomona, Joseph is going to Beloit, and Laura is going to Yale.
How many of these players are not related to Truman faculty and staff?

:huh:

STPickrell

Player movement

Post by STPickrell »

Ford08 wrote: Yah, I have to talk to the Dean of Student affairs and activities to ok it then get a professor to sponsor it. It is the only way C of O will allow me to a thing like that. There are a few that are intrested in the freshman class so I figure there would be a few upperclassmen as well that would be intrested.

1st year goal pending permission: I would like to start a team that meets 2 or 3 times a week and study and practice. Mabey a few mock tournaments and such, and write sets for local tournaments. Small tournaments that is.

2nd year: Compete a little go out with other colleges in Mo and do like a state wide thing. That would be fun. Obviously I would still do the first year goals. I would just apply the previous goal to the following year as well.

3rd year: Compete nationally, Host a tournament for HS on NAQT questions. Then on our own questions.

4th year: Make it a tradation to do the previous things every year.

I know some of these goals may be far fetched, and I know It will depend on the amount of dedication and caliber of players I have. I would like to see this happen. If anyone has any suggestions feel free to let me know. Also All tounaments would need to be on the weekends since C of O do not allow fresman to leave campus throughout the week.
In the first year, you may want to go to NAQT sectionals, and if the college gives you the money, to CBI. By your junior year you should get some promising freshmen or sophomores prepared to take the reins of the organization so it does not simply die off after you graduate. Good luck.

Charlie Dees

Player movement

Post by Charlie Dees »

No, don't listen to Shawn about CBI, don't go to it.

scphilli

Player movement

Post by scphilli »

ashkenaziCD wrote: No, don't listen to Shawn about CBI, don't go to it.
I second Charlie.

DeckardCain

Player movement

Post by DeckardCain »

Yeah, CBI sucks and I wouldn't recommend it. The only way I could justify doing it is if it didn't take money away from legitimate quizbowl and didn't require effort to actually set up (I mean, I still wouldn't play, but I can understand why others do). Since C of O doesn't have a CBI program as far as I am aware (they haven't been at regionals since I've been in school, at least) it would probably fall on you to organize everything, which is a colossal hassle, and the cost would probably come from whatever quizbowl budget your team has. Since CBI is ungodly expensive, in addition to being a morally corrupt organization that uses terrible questions, it's just not a good use of time, money, or energy.

Ford08

Player movement

Post by Ford08 »

Ok thanks for the info. I don't know how much C of O would help with funds though I think they will. This is one of the reasons I would like to have a tournament of sometype this coming year, I was thinking middle january pending.

L-Town Expatriate

Player movement

I'd focus on getting a squad together to travel to tourneys at UMR, Tulsa, and potentially Truman and Mizzou. Focus on those four plus NAQT regionals (provided one is in Missouri, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Kansas, or possibly Iowa or western Illinois) and get a solid base together.

CBI is too expensive to merit its usage, considering the quality of questions that only drunk frat boys would salivate over thinking they could get the Cardinal Key member keeping score to visit the house after they're done getting beat 305-70.

Charlie Dees

Player movement

Post by Charlie Dees »

Ford08 wrote: Ok thanks for the info. I don't know how much C of O would help with funds though I think they will. This is one of the reasons I would like to have a tournament of sometype this coming year, I was thinking middle january pending.
I'm confused. Are you saying that you want to host a tournament, or that you want to go to a tournament in January?

KentB

Player movement

Post by KentB »

L-Town Expatriate wrote: CBI is too expensive to merit its usage, considering the quality of questions that only drunk frat boys would salivate over thinking they could get the Cardinal Key member keeping score to visit the house after they're done getting beat 305-70.
Of Kyle's many questionable attempts at humour, I definitely approve of this one.... mainly for the truth factor.

ELADAMO89

Player movement

Post by ELADAMO89 »

chad
good luck with makeing a qb team at c of o
and i hope it one day becomes successful

Ford08

Player movement

Post by Ford08 »

I should have made myself more clear, I was thinking an Intermural for January. If there is intrest.

Also thanks Adam, btw I heard about your situation. It kinda sucks.

Charbroil

Player movement

Post by Charbroil »

Hey, are you guys still doing the season opener tournament? I think we (FHC) would probably go...

Charbroil

Player movement

Post by Charbroil »

Sorry, wrong topic to ask about the Mizzou tournament...wasn't paying close enough attention.

Daegan

Player movement

Post by Daegan »

Belle's seniors:

me [ray] : MSU
Andrew : BYU
Samy : MS&T

MSU doesn't have a team and I don't know that they will.. there was talk of it but nothing is certain.

Andrew isn't going to join the BYU team, he's more interested in playing soccer.

Samy isn't going to play (she wasn't very good anyway

:)

KentB

Player movement

Post by KentB »

MSU will have a team for sure. Jason Loy is going to get one going. So basically, you'd be inheriting a very good player to help get you started.

Charlie Dees

Player movement

Post by Charlie Dees »

Yeah, MSU has like 5 people who all seem to be sharing the goal of starting a team there next year.

L-Town Expatriate

Player movement

KentB wrote: MSU will have a team for sure. Jason Loy is going to get one going. So basically, you'd be inheriting a very good player to help get you started.
Is Jason in a graduate program there? Nice of him to attend Springfield and not Fayetteville.

Daegan

Player movement

Post by Daegan »

KentB wrote: MSU will have a team for sure. Jason Loy is going to get one going. So basically, you'd be inheriting a very good player to help get you started.
Excellent. Any idea who some of the other people are?

Ford08

Player movement

Post by Ford08 »

Nathan Golden from Fordland. He is good at math and science.

Rachel Bridges from Fordland. She is good at literature.

Awehrman

Player movement

Post by Awehrman »

Is Jason in a graduate program there? Nice of him to attend Springfield and not Fayetteville.

Yeah, I tried to get him to come to Arkansas when he was in high school at Cutter-Morning Star. He was a great high school player. I've met him several times, but don't know him well. I'm not sure what Missouri State would offer in terms of graduate programs, but he should be able to jumpstart a quizbowl program there, I would think. Hopefully Arkansas' quizbowl team will get rolling again too.

For any underclassmen out there (I know my brother and I have pushed for Arkansas several times on this board, but it bears repeating since, I think, many people in Missouri tend to forget about the state on the Southern border), you should really look into the University of Arkansas. It offers the some of the most complete and competitive merit scholarships in the region (Each year they offer 100 full tutition/room and board/fees fellowships), has an excellent honors college, and is one of the few state universities in the area not facing huge financial difficulties. Fayetteville is a great town (only 50 miles or so from the Missouri border) in one of the fastest growing areas in the country.

http://honorscollege.uark.edu/index.php/fellowinfo

Go Hogs!

Ford08

Player movement

Post by Ford08 »

Yep I totally agree, Arkansas is a very very good and misrepresented school. Actually my aunt went on a full ride to Oxford for 2 years in England and hated it, so she came back went to Arkansas and said it was better and she said she had a better education. no lie.

L-Town Expatriate

Player movement

Awehrman wrote:For any underclassmen out there (I know my brother and I have pushed for Arkansas several times on this board, but it bears repeating since, I think, many people in Missouri tend to forget about the state on the Southern border), you should really look into the University of Arkansas.  It offers the some of the most complete and competitive merit scholarships in the region (Each year they offer 100 full tutition/room and board/fees fellowships), has an excellent honors college, and is one of the few state universities in the area not facing huge financial difficulties.  Fayetteville is a great town (only 50 miles or so from the Missouri border) in one of the fastest growing areas in the country. 

http://honorscollege.uark.edu/index.php/fellowinfo

Go Hogs!
And don't forget; you can find your dorm room furniture on the cheap using Dial-A-Trade!! Just, uh, be ready to travel to far-fetched places like Lincoln, Grove, Winslow, and Aurora. And have some Spanish-speaking skills if it involves visiting the inner-city neighborhoods of Springdale.

scphilli

Player movement

Post by scphilli »

L-Town Expatriate wrote: I'd focus on getting a squad together to travel to tourneys at UMR, Tulsa, and potentially Truman and Mizzou. Focus on those four
*cough*

So I guess WUSTL is just chopped liver then?:)

L-Town Expatriate

Player movement

scphilli wrote:
L-Town Expatriate wrote: I'd focus on getting a squad together to travel to tourneys at UMR, Tulsa, and potentially Truman and Mizzou.  Focus on those four
*cough*

So I guess WUSTL is just chopped liver then?:)
No, my memory is for omitting that hi-caliber tournament.

STPickrell

Player movement

Post by STPickrell »

To be fair, I did put in the caveat if the school will give you money for it. If you have a budget of $1-2k a year, focus on in-state tournaments.

Matt did one better by adding, that doesn't take away from more legitimate quizbowl.

Charlie Dees

Player movement

Post by Charlie Dees »

Well, it's moot because CBI is shutting down for at least a year, hopefully (and probably) forever.

scphilli

Player movement

Post by scphilli »

ashkenaziCD wrote: Well, it's moot because CBI is shutting down for at least a year, hopefully (and probably) forever.
This is the death knell y'all. Even in the 80's when they had problems and couldn't hold nationals, they at least held the campus program and regionals. Game over. The team with the most points at the end of the game: ironically not CBI.

MST Mahan

Player movement

Post by MST Mahan »

I think Sam Hooker is interested in playing on a team at MSU... He is still sharp, and the best team player/captain I ever had.

Charlie Dees

Player movement

Post by Charlie Dees »

Hey, this is for Chad but to other players who are thinking about helping found a team soon. On hsquizbowl.org there recently was this thread about starting a team. I really wanted to help drive home something Matt Weiner said in that thread though.
Obviously you need to go through whatever the process for having a club at your school is, but the next step is crucial:

Go to tournaments. Do whatever you have to do to go to every real tournament held in your area (ie, every academic tournament held on collegiate questions within 300 miles, and the closest sites for all NAQT and ACF tournaments, wherever they may be). People get strange ideas about practicing for some length of time or running tournaments first or building up a team of a certain size, and those of course should be goals and are great if you can do them sooner rather than later, but if history has shown one thing, it's that a team that doesn't play tournaments soon is not a team at all.
Please, listen to this, Matt is one of the most experienced members of the college circuit out there. I hate to single you out Chad, but he is directing that comment at people who have similar ideas as yours about founding a team.

EDIT - I just found this response to back that up by Fred Morlan -
As someone who attempted to go the other route with this advice while starting a team, let me tell you this: if you do not listen to Matt here, prepare to waste hours of work while accomplishing less than nothing.

KentB

Player movement

Post by KentB »

I haven't heard of anyone coming to Truman ..... :-(

Charlie Dees

Player movement

Post by Charlie Dees »

Terin Budine is a member of the Truman State Facebook network, so I assume she's going there.

Ford08

Player movement

Post by Ford08 »

Thanks. I need all the help I can get.