Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Mizzou tournaments

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
Charlie Dees

Mizzou tournaments

Post by Charlie Dees »

Hey everyone,
I'm planning on attending Mizzou next year and have found some people who are interested in helping set up their team that has been inactive for a few years. As a part of this, I am interested in hosting a some tournaments for high school relatively soon, and am interested in getting some more high quality tournaments in the area.

I'm interested in hosting some kind of season kickoff type of tournament in late October (does anyone know what the first tournament date for MSHSAA is so I can start looking into this?) that would be hosted on an NAQT A-set (3-liners that have relatively easy answer selection) and would be run on 20 tossup matches with a bonus for each tossup. That would be a good opportunity to get an early-in-the-season chance for teams to qualify for both NAQT and PACE Nationals.

Along with that, I'm in the process of writing a high school tournament that is in a college format that I would like to see used sometime in January or February. I can't put a real guarantee on that one being hosted just yet because I would like to have it at least halfway written, with possibly some kind of out of state collaboration, especially for science. Don't really hold me to my projected date just yet, but such a set has the chance of being played. It would be 20/20 format as well with somewhat more national-level questions when it happens (difficulty should be like that Hunter Prison Bowl I helped write), and it would be a PACE qualifier.

I am curious if anyone besides me would be interested in seeing these tournaments get off the ground and if they would be interested in attending. If all the stars fall in place, Mizzou could be a phenomenal place to host tournaments because you you can get there from Kirksville, St. Louis, Rolla, and Kansas City within a couple hours, so if teams are willing to get out a little early they wouldn't need to spend the night anywhere, so the field has a good chance of being statewide.

DeckardCain

Mizzou tournaments

Post by DeckardCain »

ashkenaziCD wrote: (does anyone know what the first tournament date for MSHSAA is so I can start looking into this?)
According to this it's the second Friday in October.

I like the idea of hosting an A-set tourney early in the year; I could probably help out if the date doesn't conflict with Rollapalooza (likely 10/25).

scphilli

Mizzou tournaments

Post by scphilli »

I would be very interested in helping as well. Mizzou used to host the premier high school tournament run by a college team back in the day (late 90's) which regularly had one of the stronger fields you could ask for, due to the geographical reasons you mentioned. It sort of fell into disrepair as time went on though, unfortunately.

mujason

Mizzou tournaments

Post by mujason »

It would be great for the Mizzou tourney to be resurrected; it used to be held in early November and had a great turnout of elite teams. I remember 2001 had a good turnout (I don't remember the exact number), 2002 (when I wrote an excessively difficult tourney) had 20 teams, 2003 (the year I was couped) also had 20 teams, and 2004 (the last year the tourney was held) had only 9 teams due to a huge math contest in St. Louis and the Smithville tournament being on the same day (we couldn't have the tournament the previous weekend as we were playing at Wash U for GIT and TRASH Regionals). I can help with some tournament details, but I doubt I can make it back up to Columbia for the actual playing.

socalcaptain

Mizzou tournaments

Post by socalcaptain »

I'm there! We need to get together at the beginning of next semester and work out everything ASAP.

Charlie Dees

Mizzou tournaments

Post by Charlie Dees »

Bearing in mind that the Minnesota Open will be on the 18th, based on that 2nd Friday rule I am going to propose the A-set tournament for either the 11th or the 25th of October.

Awehrman

Mizzou tournaments

Post by Awehrman »

A few thoughts...I'm glad to see that you're trying to get Mizzou back on the high school tournament circuit. As something of a Big XII football fan, I noticed that MU has home football games on the 11th and 25th (hosting Oklahoma State and Colorado respectively). I'm not sure how much of a problem scheduling around football is at Missouri (it was nearly impossible at Arkansas since all hotels and parking lots filled quickly), but with Missouri poised for another championship run, I thought it worth mentioning. You might want to contact some current MU people (if you haven't already) to see how debilitating football games are to campus activities. Also, does MU still have those crazy room reservation costs? The last tournament I played at MU (J. Mueller's NAQT sectionals) required very high tournament fees in part because MU charged to reserve rooms (or so we were told). Has that changed?

Congrats on the state championship! Best of luck at nationals!

Awehrman

Mizzou tournaments

Post by Awehrman »

Oh, and the other big event to try to avoid if possible when holding a tournament is the ACT (especially for fall tournaments). It's on the October 25th next year. I've run tournaments against the ACT before, but it will limit your field somewhat.

mujason

Mizzou tournaments

Post by mujason »

As for room reservation fees, that was only for the Memorial Union for events where a fee is charged (such as that NAQT Sectional). (None of the other buildings were available that day due to a fire safety training school.) The MU club's preferred tournament buildings (Middlebush, A and S, Strickland) shouldn't require fees. However, reserving the rooms may be a problem as it may only be possible for an officially recognized student organization to reserve rooms; and it could take several months for MU College Bowl to be re-recognized.

Charbroil

Mizzou tournaments

Post by Charbroil »

So...when do you think we'll be able to get information on this Mizzou tournament? I think we (FHC) will be able to come, though we'll have to make sure next year.

Charlie Dees

Mizzou tournaments

Post by Charlie Dees »

Well, I mean, I probably should make sure there is actually a team and people to staff it as well as rooms.

KentB

Mizzou tournaments

Post by KentB »

Depending on the weekend, I could probably help moderate or something ..... if absolutely necessary, of course.

Charlie Dees

Mizzou tournaments

Post by Charlie Dees »

Look out for an A-set tournament on October 25th, 2008.

johnboy81918

Mizzou tournaments

Post by johnboy81918 »

I'm looking...WHOA THERE IT IS

Charlie Dees

Mizzou tournaments

Post by Charlie Dees »

Hey everyone,
Mizzou will still be trying to host a Fall tournament on November 1st. However, we aren't going to be able to actually reserve the rooms until October, so if something happens and too many rooms are already taken that day, we will have to cancel it. So consider this November 1st date highly subject to change.

socalcaptain

Mizzou tournaments

Post by socalcaptain »

Charlie - I have a marching competition that day, but I'm not sure what times. It may be that I have to go back and forth a lot.

DIoanis

Mizzou tournaments

Post by DIoanis »

Yea I think that's the day of the marching band thing at mizzou for high schools or something. I'm going to be at mizzou for that on the first.