Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Interest in a subject area tournament

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

I'm thinking about writing a subject area tournament to be held as a side-event to a regular tournament. It would either be a solo or a doubles tournament (if it's doubles, you can make teams with other people who aren't on your team), and it would probably be held after a tournament if it is desired
I'm curious if:
First - anyone would be willing to play this
Second - anyone would be willing to host this after a regular tournament they run.

If you are willing to play, I'd like some more input on what to do. Off the top of my head I'd be willing to write a lit or history tournament, but if people come up with something else then I could think about it (no science though). The format would probably be just a full round robin, then a final if needed, and it would be 20 tossups, no bonuses. The earliest I could get this done would probably be mid february, so any tournament from Rolla's NAQT qualifier onward would probably be able to run it. The fee would be something small (maybe $10 per person). If you are interested, post here or email me at charlie16 at gmail dot com.

Ford08

Post by Ford08 »

This is a good idea, I also thought that it would be cool to have a tournament that would specalize in certain areas. I would be all for it, but I realize that we have our limitations.

carpenoctem63141

Post by carpenoctem63141 »

ashkenaziCD wrote: I'm thinking about writing a subject area tournament to be held as a side-event to a regular tournament. It would either be a solo or a doubles tournament (if it's doubles, you can make teams with other people who aren't on your team), and it would probably be held after a tournament if it is desired
I'm curious if:
First - anyone would be willing to play this
Second - anyone would be willing to host this after a regular tournament they run.

If you are willing to play, I'd like some more input on what to do. Off the top of my head I'd be willing to write a lit or history tournament, but if people come up with something else then I could think about it (no science though). The format would probably be just a full round robin, then a final if needed, and it would be 20 tossups, no bonuses. The earliest I could get this done would probably be mid february, so any tournament from Rolla's NAQT qualifier onward would probably be able to run it. The fee would be something small (maybe $10 per person). If you are interested, post here or email me at charlie16 at gmail dot com.
Ooh ooh! Math! Do Math!

;)

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

No, that's what math leagues are for. And if I were to do math, hate to break it to ya, it'd be 100% non-computational. Also, by most quizbowl standards that aren't dictated by MSHSAA, math is just considered a subcategory of science.

carpenoctem63141

Post by carpenoctem63141 »

ashkenaziCD wrote: No, that's what math leagues are for. And if I were to do math, hate to break it to ya, it'd be 100% non-computational. Also, by most quizbowl standards that aren't dictated by MSHSAA, math is just considered a subcategory of science.
I was kidding, if you couldn't tell...

Also, a 100% non-computational math tournament would be really... amusing. Really boring too. But the idea of it is kinda hilarious.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Enjoy your Cauchy and Chinese Remainder Theorem tossups while they last.

ELADAMO89

Post by ELADAMO89 »

that sounds pretty cool
maybe it would get other people on each team to try and focus on 1 area while others do theirs
sounds good to me

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

I would love a 100% non-computational math tournament, actually.

Anyway, I'd be fine with running this after one of our tournaments.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

Consider that such a tournament, as a one-subject tournament, would not require MSHSAA sanctioning or count toward the 14-tournament limit.

;)

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Plus, it would be solo or 2 person teams, so i can't imagine they'd have any jurisdiction over it.

STPickrell

Post by STPickrell »

In many parts of Virginia there are leagues in which there are competitions in math, science, social studies, and literature before the all-around match. You're allowed to play on two of the teams but not more. Principals like it because it allows for more student participation. There was some thought towards making a competition like this the norm in Virginia but not enough of the state plays these competitions.

ELADAMO89

Post by ELADAMO89 »

would this just be one or two areas or all areas that come up in tournament?

KentB

Post by KentB »

chuq, i could help you write this if it were literature or possibly even history.... not sure how much i could do but i like the idea

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

I'll say right now that I'm leaning towards history, and unless i get an overwhelming response for something else in the next few days then I'll probably go ahead with it.

KentB

Post by KentB »

and as you saw last night, i need all the practice i can get on history :-|

that sounds good

AShoaib

Post by AShoaib »

History and/or Literature sounds cool. Those are areas we need to improve on. If you want, I can try my hand at writing some history questions (mostly non-Western history, seeing as how that is my stronger point). Email me.