Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

National Qualifiers for the 2007-2008 season

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

As many of you know, Missouri lifted their ban on having tournaments be qualifiers for national tournaments. I would just like to use this post as an opportunity to have a call for more national qualifying tournaments in Missouri.
The two national tournaments that are considered legitimate are the PACE National Scholastics Championship and the NAQT High School National Championship. To make your tournament is a fairly easy task, just contact David Bykowski (user Byko on this message board) and request that your tournament be affiliated, and then depending on your field size, a certain number of the top teams will recieve bids to the NSC. I know NKC, Rolla, Wash U, and Truman State are going to be PACE qualifiers, and I don't think it can hurt to have even more tournaments qualify for PACE. Also, remember that if you win districts you automatically qualify for PACE. NAQT is a little trickier, because to make your tournament qualify for the HSNCT you must use some kind of NAQT product for your tournament. At NAQT tournaments the top 15% recieve bids, and the top "small school," as long as they finish in the statistical median of the field. I would personally like to see a few NAQT tournaments in the state with some mix of A-sets in there, at least for this year. Unfortunately it seems that Paul has given up or something, since there is nothing scheduled, but it's not too late! Even, like, I'd be willing to try and set up something for it - has anyone ever contacted a college to see if they would host it?

Anyway, I don't have much more to say other then I hope people consider this, and also that they seriosuly consider attending nationals sometime in the near future.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

I've been meaning to ask Paul about this... anyway, if there's not going to be a NAQT qualifier otherwise, I'll try to put something together here.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

the problem is that it needs to be scheduled soon and relatively early, unless we can convince some other people to merge their already scheduled tournaments with NAQT, even if it's just an (I might ask Brandon to go after the SJC people to do this). I mean, it'd have to be February I think. Also, does Mizzou have any actual team this year? I'm just saying, that'd be the optimal location for a state qualifier.

KentB

Post by KentB »

I could talk to people at Mizzou about it but I haven't heard of an actual team there.

I would say that Rolla or WashU would be the best locations for this tournament as Kirksville is a bit out of the way for most teams... Columbia of course would be ideal but of course the weekends are filling up. I really don't know when this event could even be hosted other than if it substituted for Rolla's spring tourney... but I'm pretty sure NAQT wasn't the plan for that ?

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Our traditional spring tournament is separate and will go on as usual. I'll be announcing it shortly.

As for a date, the only date I see is ACF Regionals weekend (February 16, I think?), as I don't think we were planning on going to that. Mizzou would be the best location by far for this, and I'm curious if there's still enough of a quizbowl presence there that we could get rooms for a tournament there. I'd be willing to drive up there to staff, and I'm sure several of my teammates would go as well. I believe Oklahoma does something similar to this with the OQBA.

mujason

Post by mujason »

For the record, the Mizzou team died in the 2005-2006 schoolyear, which I took off between undergrad and grad school. Mizzou still does CBI (which is done through a different channel than the actual team was). I'm too busy to restart it, and I should be graduating in December with my MA in Economics. I am interested in TRASH Regionals, though, so if anybody is going through Columbia and would like a teammate with experience (one regionals win, one nationals appearance, one regional individual scoring title), let me know.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Okay, after talking to Paul, it looks like we will indeed host the NAQT Missouri Qualifier on February 16. A formal announcement will come soon.

STPickrell

Post by STPickrell »

Noticed this on the 'how to qualify for HSNCT' page.
http://www.naqt.com/hsnct/qualification.html

"Winning any class or division of an official state championship with rules and questions similar to those of NAQT."

I have asked NAQT whether VHSL and MSHSAA fall under this guideline.