Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Who will repeat in 2008?

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
psychomanreturns

Who will repeat in 2008?

Post by psychomanreturns »

I have to admit that I totally missed on picking the 3A state champion. I had Savannah winning with New Madrid coming in second.

I also missed 4A with Ladue losing. That was really a tough decision for me because I watched Ladue beat NKC at Rolla (I read that game.) In addition, I knew that NKC had played many more games than Ladue since that match. I should have known to have faith in Charles. The team with the "stud" usually wins at state. See Cory Honer at Richland and Nate Kinast at Thomas Jefferson.

Now, it's time to pick the teams most likely to repeat. Your choices are NKC in 4A, John Burroughs in 3A, Richland in 2A, and Thomas Jefferson in 1A.

My pick is NKC. Charles is back, as is Grant. Plus. Coach Allen is back. Liberty loses two outstanding seniors. Ladue, SLUH, and Kirksville are strong challengers, but only if they increase the number of games they play. They need to upgrade their schedules.

Second choice is Richland, despite the loss of Cory Honer. Brian Mahan and Logan Goad will still average between 15 to 20 per game together. Tarkio, Fordland, College Heights, and South Pemiscot are likely challengers.

Third choice is John Burroughs as Savannah will be out for revenge. If Bill Luce doesn't step down, Burroughs will have a much tougher road to repeat.

Last choice is Thomas Jefferson. This is conditional upon Coach Kinast retiring from coaching. Even so, the loss of Nate Kinast weakens Thomas Jefferson immensely. Look out for Lockwood in this class.

Well, go ahead and rip me for my choices. After all, there is only one psychoman. Do not let Bill be the first to disagree with my prognostications. Never forget NIXA.

One last prediction: Jason will get his driver's license before the 2008 state tournament. Come on Jason, study up. Make my prediction come true.

Charlie Dees

Who will repeat in 2008?

Post by Charlie Dees »

psychomanreturns wrote: One last prediction: Jason will get his driver's license before the 2008 state tournament. Come on Jason, study up. Make my prediction come true.
Best prediction ever made, but something tells me it's not gonna happen.

Next prediction:
Jason won't go out on a date in the next year.

AethyricNomad

Who will repeat in 2008?

Post by AethyricNomad »

My pick, at least right now, is Richland. Probably NKC also.

FordATeam/CC

Who will repeat in 2008?

Post by FordATeam/CC »

I'd have to agree with psychoman's order. 1) NKC would definitely be in the drivers' seat. 2) Even without Cory, Richland WILL be tough (By the way, thanks for the compliment). 3) Savannah won't let Burroughs repeat without a tough challenge (Question: "How does Smithville look for next year?"). 4) T.J. has a rich tradition, but the loss of both Kinasts will likely be major blow.

I don't know who is returning for anyone, since we didn't make it to state this year, but Walnut Grove is a team I could see doing big things next year in class 1 if a few team members can improve to complement their #1 scorer. B.J. averaged 15 a round in the morning before they met us in the quarterfinals of our tournament. No one else in the tournament averaged in the double-digits.

LibertyMarie

Who will repeat in 2008?

Post by LibertyMarie »

The team with the "stud" usually wins at state.
Not Jimmy Li in 2005!

In other news, I recommend some preventive personal post editing for Chuq. As in things are acceptable now but if you get a response, and then people respond to that, well, I don't enjoy locking threads, really.

Ravi Fernando

Who will repeat in 2008?

Post by Ravi Fernando »

psychomanreturns wrote:My pick is NKC.  Charles is back, as is Grant.
Actually, I believe their entire varsity team is back.

-Ravi

Charlie Dees

Who will repeat in 2008?

Post by Charlie Dees »

Our entire district team is back. We're losing Christine (the other math person, who actually got our only math tossup against Kirksville) from our regular varsity team.

East Buc & UMR

Who will repeat in 2008?

Post by East Buc & UMR »

I'm pretty sure Grant got a math TU in the 4th quarter

Charlie Dees

Who will repeat in 2008?

Post by Charlie Dees »

Well, Ravi got 9, Christine definitely got 1. Unless Ravi got something non-math that I didn't notice. Grant may have gotten something else, because he does know other things.

Charlie Dees

Who will repeat in 2008?

Post by Charlie Dees »

Also, Brandon I think got a couple of tossups.

Week St's Finest

Who will repeat in 2008?

Post by Week St's Finest »

JB won't repeat it will be Savannah or the district 1 winner NMCC or Notre Dame

Charlie Dees

Who will repeat in 2008?

Post by Charlie Dees »

Week St's Finest wrote: NMCC or Notre Dame
Notre Dame should cakewalk through districts next year with Woody and Elias gone.

Week St's Finest

Who will repeat in 2008?

Post by Week St's Finest »

ashkenaziCD wrote:
Week St's Finest wrote: NMCC or Notre Dame
Notre Dame should cakewalk through districts next year with Woody and Elias gone.
Just because they are gone dosen't mean that NMCC won't be good they do have other players comming up

Charlie Dees

Who will repeat in 2008?

Post by Charlie Dees »

But a much better player is returning on ND. I guarantee it.

I believe I made the same prediction last year that WCA wouldn't be the same type of competitive this year, to the chagrin of Bill, and I ended up correct, so I have a strong feeling this will be a repeat prediction. Also, you people really should introduce yourselves here.

East Buc & UMR

Who will repeat in 2008?

Post by East Buc & UMR »

One difference is NMCC will stay in the same class and district unlike WCA.

Charlie Dees

Who will repeat in 2008?

Post by Charlie Dees »

So? WCA still didn't even make the top 4 at districts. Now, WCA was still sort of competitive at times this year, and NMCC might still be kind of competitive next year, but I still don't think they will have a shot of winning their district.

KentB

Who will repeat in 2008?

Post by KentB »

but I cannot see them beating David unless he gets sick or something and even then it would still be a longshot

East Buc & UMR

Who will repeat in 2008?

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Yes because moving up a class has nothing to do with how a team would do.

Charlie Dees

Who will repeat in 2008?

Post by Charlie Dees »

Well, WCA last year would have won that district this year, so I don't think your class argument applies. WCA last would have totally killed WCA this year if there were some way to time travel and do head to head games.

carpenoctem63141

Who will repeat in 2008?

Post by carpenoctem63141 »

ashkenaziCD wrote: So? WCA still didn't even make the top 4 at districts. Now, WCA was still sort of competitive at times this year, and NMCC might still be kind of competitive next year, but I still don't think they will have a shot of winning their district.
We played Westminster in semifinals of Districts.

ecks

Who will repeat in 2008?

Post by ecks »

ashkenaziCD wrote: Well, WCA last year would have won that district this year, so I don't think your class argument applies. WCA last would have totally killed WCA this year if there were some way to time travel and do head to head games.
I would like to see a team composed entirely of Chuq to play another team entirely of Chuq. Please make this happen. You have 5 days.

Charlie Dees

Who will repeat in 2008?

Post by Charlie Dees »

I didn't realize WCA was in the semis. Even then, a somewhat less talented than last year Ladue team handily beat them. And don't try to argue with me that Ladue isn't as good as last year. Last year WCA v. Ladue would have been a much tenser game that could have gone either way.

East Buc & UMR

Who will repeat in 2008?

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Yet I bet WCA would of been in the class 3 district finals with JB and had a good shot to beat JB.

Ravi Fernando

Who will repeat in 2008?

Post by Ravi Fernando »

ashkenaziCD wrote:Well, Ravi got 9, Christine definitely got 1. Unless Ravi got something non-math that I didn't notice. Grant may have gotten something else, because he does know other things.
I think two of mine were non-math... one about the Taj Mahal (specifically, the century in which it was completed) and one I can't recall.

-Ravi

STPickrell

Who will repeat in 2008?

Post by STPickrell »

ecks wrote:
ashkenaziCD wrote: Well, WCA last year would have won that district this year, so I don't think your class argument applies. WCA last would have totally killed WCA this year if there were some way to time travel and do head to head games.
I would like to see a team composed entirely of Chuq to play another team entirely of Chuq. Please make this happen. You have 5 days.
Could Chuq Norris make it happen?

Charlie Dees

Who will repeat in 2008?

Post by Charlie Dees »

8 Chuqs would sit at desks. The questions will be read. The room will explode.

redliberte

Who will repeat in 2008?

Post by redliberte »

the world isn't big enough for the eight of them.

RiseAgainst

Who will repeat in 2008?

Post by RiseAgainst »

World? Go bigger. The world can hold eight Chuqs, but eight Chuq Norris? That's some sort of hybrid academic martial artist beast!

OK, I haven't got any exciting or crazy predictions, but I've got some interesting ones.

Class 4
NKC defeats Kirksville for the championship. Clayton beats Ladue in districts and plays SLUH in third place match and wins.

Class 3
Savannah plays JB and wins in championship. Hallsville beats Oak Grove for third.

Class 2
Regardless of the fact I'm naturally biased...
Richland defeats Tarkio in championship. College Heights Chrisitan defeats Barstow for third.

Class 1
TJ beats Lutheran in championship. Glasgow defeats Bradleyville for third.

AShoaib

Who will repeat in 2008?

Post by AShoaib »

Clayton's Varsity team is all seniors (I'm pretty sure). Their B team isn't very good, seeing as how Eureka had beaten them every time we played them (three times, not much, but meh). Well, they can get better.

I want to see SLUH next year. They're good, but I'm of the belief that next year, they'll be a lot weaker sans Micah.

carpenoctem63141

Who will repeat in 2008?

Post by carpenoctem63141 »

AShoaib wrote: Clayton's Varsity team is all seniors (I'm pretty sure). Their B team isn't very good, seeing as how Eureka had beaten them every time we played them (three times, not much, but meh). Well, they can get better.

I want to see SLUH next year. They're good, but I'm of the belief that next year, they'll be a lot weaker sans Micah.
Yeah, Clayton's varsity team is all seniors, so hopefully we can prevent that prediction from happening.

:D

And even though SLUH is losing Micah, that didn't seem to stop them much when they lost Timo Kim.

Charlie Dees

Who will repeat in 2008?

Post by Charlie Dees »

It's really too bad for SLUH that they don't get out much, because they are (or have the capability) to be very talented.

Ravi Fernando

Who will repeat in 2008?

Post by Ravi Fernando »

RiseAgainst wrote:NKC defeats Kirksville for the championship.
That would surprise me. We're losing Scott this year, and it will probably be difficult to win districts, let alone place second at state.
ashkenaziCD wrote:8 Chuqs would sit at desks. The questions will be read. The room will explode.
And then comes math... *silence*

;)

Try Chuq, John, Stephanie, Terin, and Nate (on one of those buzzer sets with five buzzers) against Chuq Norris (plus the national champs). Or Chuq+Norris vs. Rest of World. I can see Chuq roundhouse kicking Norris for missing a question about Walker, Texas Ranger.

-Ravi

FZW Coach

Who will repeat in 2008?

Post by FZW Coach »

ashkenaziCD wrote: It's really too bad for SLUH that they don't get out much, because they are (or have the capability) to be very talented.
I believe (based on what Desmet's coach told me) that SLUH will be competing with us in Two Saints this next year. I will have to confirm who will fill our 32 slots (16 varsity, 16 junior varsity) with the coaches in August/September.

AShoaib

Who will repeat in 2008?

Post by AShoaib »

If SLUH is going to be at conference, then things will be.... interesting, next year.

Conference next year, I can see Eureka and Lafayette coming from our side of the river, and Clayton (maybe FZW?) and SLUH coming from the other side. That is, assuming (and hoping) that SLUH isn't on our side of the river!

ecks

Who will repeat in 2008?

Post by ecks »

Ravi Fernando wrote:
RiseAgainst wrote:NKC defeats Kirksville for the championship.
That would surprise me. We're losing Scott this year, and it will probably be difficult to win districts, let alone place second at state.
You're also the only team in that district returning more than one person who made the all-district team (you and Laura).

STPickrell

Who will repeat in 2008?

Post by STPickrell »

VHSL District match #25:
9. There's a rumor going around that CNN was named in honor of this man, and that satellite-broadcast reruns of his DeltaForce TV show were the cause of the downfall of the Soviet Union. His tears can cure cancer, but he has never cried. Ever. He sued the makers of the TV show Law & Order, since those are the trademarked names for his left and right legs. What actor and martial artist is better known as Walker, Texas Ranger?

ANSWER: Chuck Norris

and from match #22:
6. This novel’s title character seeks his fortune and the green, green grass of home after Mr. Blifil evicts him. When he meets his neighbor’s daughter Sophia, he thinks she’s a lady he wants to marry – and at the end of the novel, they are married and remain stoned in love. It’s not unusual for Squire Allworthy to find an abandoned child at the start of what novel by Henry Fielding?

ANSWER: The History of Tom Jones: A Foundling

redliberte

Who will repeat in 2008?

Post by redliberte »

this would probably make more sense if i knew the book better, but
stoned in love
?

sounds like fun...

AShoaib

Who will repeat in 2008?

Post by AShoaib »

Hey, follow in the way of Peter Griffin and drink until the broad looks nice!

ecks

Who will repeat in 2008?

Post by ecks »

AShoaib wrote: Hey, follow in the way of Peter Griffin and drink until the broad looks nice!
Or until the Statue of Liberty takes her clothes off.

STPickrell

Who will repeat in 2008?

Post by STPickrell »

redliberte wrote: this would probably make more sense if i knew the book better, but
stoned in love
?

sounds like fun...
I cleverly included the titles of Tom Jones songs in the text of the question. Ha-ha. Unfortunately, it got unanswered in all the rooms I have stats for.

redliberte

Who will repeat in 2008?

Post by redliberte »

that's witty, but awful.

i could have powered the chuck norris one though.

AethyricNomad

Who will repeat in 2008?

Post by AethyricNomad »

I almost wish we had a Chuck Norris question every once in a while. Maybe that's something to petition MSHSAA for, heh heh.

manary

Who will repeat in 2008?

Post by manary »

Hello all!

As per losing me, we are getting a new guy next year who will be amazing at math. As for science, our varsity player who couldn't make state sure as hell better be there next year, so they'll get those.

As for getting out more, I tried so hard this year!!! I moved our team from one team (just varsity with one junior) to two teams. Anyways, I kept asking to go to tournaments, specifically Rolla's, but was outvoted 1-1. We will probably do about the same next year, yet I have hope for Boston-Baumer-Schumacer.

Micah Manary

AShoaib

Who will repeat in 2008?

Post by AShoaib »

Micah, you were the SLUH team. Or at least most of it.

:)

Charlie Dees

Who will repeat in 2008?

Post by Charlie Dees »

But Timo Kim was most of the SLUH team in 2006. Granted, Micah formed the core of a much stronger SLUH team this year.