Server upgrade complete!

Welcome to the upgraded server! If you notice anything wrong with the board, please let Jeffrey know!Free packets for study/practiceAnnounced tournament dates

Is this kosher?

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
Charlie Dees

Is this kosher?

Post by Charlie Dees » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:41 pm

Our school's debate and Forsensics team is going to a tournament at Harvard really soon. It is supposedly a qualifier for nationals. Does this violate MSHSAA rules? If not, then why can Debate go that far away yet we can't? And qualify for nationals?

scphilli

Is this kosher?

Post by scphilli » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:38 pm

ashkenaziCD wrote: Our school's debate and Forsensics team is going to a tournament at Harvard really soon. It is supposedly a qualifier for nationals. Does this violate MSHSAA rules? If not, then why can Debate go that far away yet we can't? And qualify for nationals?
This is a murky area as I never understood this either in high school, but I am guessing that MSHSAA has basically found a way to live with the existence of NFL (that has to be an NFL-sponsored tournament, there's no other reason to go that far), as it vastly predates MSHSAA and was entrenched in this state. They probably have a special exception buried deep in the rules that allows this.

scphilli

Is this kosher?

Post by scphilli » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:46 pm

Also iirc, no one NFL tournament is in and of itself a qualifier for nationals, which is a difference from most quizbowl tournaments.

carpenoctem63141

Is this kosher?

Post by carpenoctem63141 » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:19 pm

Debate is only allowed to travel within a 250 mile radius, and gets one freebie tournament outside that distance.

I think Harvard is a ToC qualifier, but I have no idea what the MSHSAA policy is on that. Besides, I believe you have to have two bids to qualify for the ToC, so just one tournament wouldn't be able to qualify.

I don't really remember why NFL Nationals is allowed, actually. I think it has something to do with school being out...

redliberte

Is this kosher?

Post by redliberte » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:41 pm

I think Harvard is a ToC qualifier, but I have no idea what the MSHSAA policy is on that. Besides, I believe you have to have two bids to qualify for the ToC, so just one tournament wouldn't be able to qualify.
yeah, this is what i understand to be true as well. ToC is definitely a MSHSAA no-no, i think for the same reasons that they restrict national level quiz bowl competitions. NFL i believe functions under some sort of grandfather clause in relation to MSHSAA because it predates it.

we have a very odd system in MO... but KS is even more strict, so i can't complain.