Does your school need new buzzers?
Apply for a Matt's Buzzers grant! $250 grants will be awarded on December 1.
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:51 am

Is this kosher? 

Post Is this kosher?
Our school's debate and Forsensics team is going to a tournament at Harvard really soon. It is supposedly a qualifier for nationals. Does this violate MSHSAA rules? If not, then why can Debate go that far away yet we can't? And qualify for nationals?

Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:41 pm

Post Is this kosher?
ashkenaziCD wrote:
Our school's debate and Forsensics team is going to a tournament at Harvard really soon. It is supposedly a qualifier for nationals. Does this violate MSHSAA rules? If not, then why can Debate go that far away yet we can't? And qualify for nationals?

This is a murky area as I never understood this either in high school, but I am guessing that MSHSAA has basically found a way to live with the existence of NFL (that has to be an NFL-sponsored tournament, there's no other reason to go that far), as it vastly predates MSHSAA and was entrenched in this state. They probably have a special exception buried deep in the rules that allows this.

Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:38 pm

Post Is this kosher?
Also iirc, no one NFL tournament is in and of itself a qualifier for nationals, which is a difference from most quizbowl tournaments.

Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:46 pm

Post Is this kosher?
Debate is only allowed to travel within a 250 mile radius, and gets one freebie tournament outside that distance.

I think Harvard is a ToC qualifier, but I have no idea what the MSHSAA policy is on that. Besides, I believe you have to have two bids to qualify for the ToC, so just one tournament wouldn't be able to qualify.

I don't really remember why NFL Nationals is allowed, actually. I think it has something to do with school being out...

Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:19 pm

Post Is this kosher?
Quote:
I think Harvard is a ToC qualifier, but I have no idea what the MSHSAA policy is on that. Besides, I believe you have to have two bids to qualify for the ToC, so just one tournament wouldn't be able to qualify.

yeah, this is what i understand to be true as well. ToC is definitely a MSHSAA no-no, i think for the same reasons that they restrict national level quiz bowl competitions. NFL i believe functions under some sort of grandfather clause in relation to MSHSAA because it predates it.

we have a very odd system in MO... but KS is even more strict, so i can't complain.

Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:41 pm