Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Who is the best player from the state of MO

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
mujason

Post by mujason »

Yeah, I have noticed a lack of Richlandites on the college circuit. The most I ever got Jason Kathcart and Kevin Smith to play was on my team for the campus intramural. I know Erica played for Truman State at Rollapalooza 2001, but the only Richlandite I can think of that played regularly was Brenda Driver. Also, I heard Ellie Ingersoll quit in the middle of her senior year, thus causing Richland's only non-title in the MSHSAA era.

Anyway, I am not responsible for Mizzou falling off the map of quiz bowl. The coup that took over from me at the start of the schoolyear did that. They couldn't even secure transportation to any tournaments (since CBI was school-provided and ICT transportation was provided by one of my pals)! They ran the club into the ground. Bill, you know what I'm talking about: how they didn't realize that the entry fee for Rollapalooza would be twice as large for entering two teams, how they cancelled out on you at the last minute, etc. Anyway, I'm back in charge now and I will restore Mizzou quiz bowl to its former glory and beyond. We're already making plans for increasing membership and funds. I'm back, we're back, and we're going to try our best!

Jason Mueller

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Side note Brenda last name is now Griffith (she married matt in march, the same matt listed in the first post of this topic) I know the coup, does this mean kyle is back and how did you this was me, there are 3 members of the EB team here at Rolla

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

also what school did Jim black play for?

tjeffschool

Post by tjeffschool »

He was on Galena. Outstanding math guy, but again he was too slow. We ate him up alive. He did not get a single math question.

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Oh thanks, I still think Jim is heads above anyone else, as is Matt even though he never made it out of districts But 22 in districts with the joplin private schools is scary

tjeffschool

Post by tjeffschool »

Matt who? He was before my time. This is my third year with the TJ team.

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

griffith he went to Ballard. Grad of 99. I knew he was good then one day I was talking to a friend of mine he on campus Nick Correnti(spelling?) from maculy(spelling again?) and he told me he has never seen anyone as scary as matt, Nick said they did not want to play matt. Matt lowest scoring game his senior year was the champiship game he only got 17 TU that game, not to bad

tjeffschool

Post by tjeffschool »

Driscoll is definitely the best player to come through class 1 to date. But who knows...we may see a record or two fall this year.

But then again, the questions seem a little more difficult.

By the way East Buc, you and I both went 16/31 on the district predictions with that pesky district eight still hanging.

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

I was to lazy to go look, at the picks tonight, thanks for looking. I'll e-mail Bully about the district; I should know when i wake up in the morning from her

JayChamp

Post by JayChamp »

DeckardCain wrote: Thanks, chumfress

The best players I have played against this year are Seth Kinast from TJ, Jared Kathcart from Richland, and the guy from Webb City (can't remember his name)
DekardCain is the best Scholar Bowl player in the State in districts he scored 94 questions over all and in the semis he scored 24 questions and helped his teams beat Bismarck 385 to 15 i had 2 questions that game in a large blowout.

wca

Post by wca »

385 to 15...Try 530 to 5 (the five was a bonus missed on a technicality) versus Hancock. This is with scoring spread over three people. For my money, best player currently in state is George Thampy. Add in two guys named Andrew, and you got yourself a team.

B)
By the way, I think it needs to be said that so many of these people that are proclaimed as great, at least currently, have little to no help from their team. Arthur from Eureka is good, but he gets all the tossups because no one on his team even touches the buzzer. To me that is not a great player, just a bad team member.

eldo player

Post by eldo player »

Because he answers all the questions hes a bad team member?
mabey nobody else answers the questions because they dont know anything.

JimmyL

Post by JimmyL »

Haha, Dan and Patrick on Eureka both know things...it's just that Arthur knows more and gets to the buzzer faster. However, I will agree with Andrew that tossups DEFINITELY don't speak exactly for how great an individual player is...if there are several strong players..each player's tossup average won't show up quite as emphatically as when there is oen player that beats everyone else on the team to the buzzer/knows more. Perfect example: Last year, when Chris missed an afternoon of two saints league, Brian, a player who normally scored around .5-1 tpg with Chris around, averaged 17 tossups or so. Personally, from experience, I've noticed that three great individuals on a team may each be better than a person on another team who scores 20 tpg. It's quite difficult to tell.

But, if you are just going by tossups, I would like to point out that a certain person on our team scored 105 total....haha.

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Welcome to the key of the game, That is why richland has so many titles, it is how Kosh won, it is how TJ is winning, and why liberty won last year. Granted all those teams has a standout player(not always the best in the state) but with competetion on a team makes everyone better. It is also easier to spread knowledge across 3 players than one

JimmyL

Post by JimmyL »

Yea, I agree.

missouriacademic

Post by missouriacademic »

Something to think about - if you put one of these "one-man teams" on a team with two or three other good players, how would they do?

JimmyL

Post by JimmyL »

hmm....that'd probably end up being something like savannah or westminster is now....depending on how "good" the other people are. If they are all one man teams...they'd just form one really incredible team (especially on boni) that i would presume to score over 500 most of the time, and no one person would stand out with an incredible number of tossups. Or....if the other players are just "pretty good," then the one man team would still get the majority of the tossups. Although this prediciton is quite flawed..since there are large number of other variables that come into play.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

Something to think about - if you put one of these "one-man teams" on a team with two or three other good players, how would they do?
One word: Melissa.
When she was essentially liquifying competition in Northwest Missouri, several players Coach Luce had noticed before (some as early as middle school) rarely got in, but the experience they earned through practice and compeition with her enabled them to continue their domination.

mujason

Post by mujason »

It also helps that Savannah attends the ACE quizbowl camp at SEMO.

Jason Mueller

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

no it helps that luce is a great coach, and they practice 3 hours a day

L-Town Expatriate

Yes. Liberty, St. Pius, and now Parkway Central are catching on. (NKC goes to the camp in Furman, SC) In fact, Coaches Luce and Johnson both teach sessions at the SEMO camp. V.Jones was invited one year but had prior commitments.

And yes, Luce is a coaching legend, but I didn't think practice was THAT long. He also runs a camp for middle schoolers after ACE's.

wca

Post by wca »

Just out of curiosity, what does a team do for three hours? I would like our team to practice more, but after a set of questions and some drills an hour is up, and we don't have much more to do. What do you do in college pracitices? I must say, that I respect that much dedication. I can see why they do well.

L-Town Expatriate

I doubted the 3 hrs./day claim, thinking that it might be a slam on the town for having nothing there. (We have that floating around the KC area.)

Luce has coached Savannah for over 20 years. He has an immense stockpile of questions from various formats. I doubt they ever attend less than 10 tournaments annually (sans distrists/state, nationals, and Maple Woods)

mujason

Post by mujason »

There are many things that help at quizbowl: lots of practice, a good coach, going to quizbowl camp, etc. I believe that elite teams would practice for three hours a day; even more in some cases. Of course, having a dedicated program helps immensely. Back when I was in high school, I was sometimes the only person to show up for practice! I'm sure everyone can agree that people actually putting effort into quizbowl produces the best results.

Jason Mueller

JimmyL

Post by JimmyL »

That is crazy. I went on the lexington website once...and saw pictures of their practices, and they were like making flash cards and quizzing each other 1 on 1 and such. All we do is massive amounts of questions...for an hour or so straight. I cannot envision our team actually wanting to take time out and filling otu worksheets or memorizing specialized facts and such (simply because the people on our team are there to have as much fun as possible and doing stuff like that detracts from the overall level of fun). Yes, it's quite obvious that Savannah's coach is truly dedicated and loves what he's doing to spend all that time coaching inside/outside of school.

L-Town Expatriate

Liberty only practices twice a week, ranging from 90-120 minutes. List studying was on our own, although two of us had teaching assistant study halls with our coach. We studied then if we weren't working on logistical details.

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Highway 6 it only gets worse

L-Town Expatriate

Road conditions or my obsession with state highways?

:D

TruePirate

Post by TruePirate »

we practice 4 times a week for about 45 minutes at a time...

uhh... why the obsession with roads?

L-Town Expatriate

"Da Man"
How in the heck did you claim that!? I sense another shield change...

TruePirate

Post by TruePirate »

how do i make the claim Da Man?

very easily... i'm the man...
i dunno how else to explain it...everything about me

my looks, intelligence, dapperness, math skill, sex appeal, etc. etc.

;)

mujason

Post by mujason »

How did Da Man get there? Is there a setting for that in the individual profile?

Jason Mueller

JimmyL

Post by JimmyL »

how do we practice 4 times a week? I wish we did...except you guys never show up....our practices are scheduled to begin at 7 AM...tuesdays for JV and thursdays for varsity..except I and this other kid are the only people that ever show up on time...and then people show up when they please....at least 5 minutes late...any day they please....we have about 3-4 dedicated members. And the other two "practices" are held during academic lab, where it usually becomes so unorganized and we let people who arent even on the team play. Sorry I am ranting..this just annoys me so much...take today for instance, at ac lab...we had 8 people with buzzers, but only 3 people were even on the team....the other people were like..."whoah...these kids are smart...whoah...nerds....huh...ahuh....*snort*"

mujason

Post by mujason »

I hear you, Jimmy. I was even worse off at Lincoln.

Jason Mueller

missouriacademic

Post by missouriacademic »

You can create a custom member title, go to "My Controls" and click on "Edit Profile Info" then you should see "Custom Member Title"

TruePirate

Post by TruePirate »

us guys?

i go to practice every Tuesday and Thursday... i come a max of 15-20 minuites late...and it isn't my fault my dad likes to get a little sleep..

as for ac lab.. WHO SETS IT UP ALMOST EVERY TIME? youa lways run off to do a quick errand..and by the time you get back (10 minutes) IIIIII already set everything up

L-Town Expatriate

Jason, do you get that same problem with CBI intramurals? We only had seven teams compete, which included two ACO teams and a Campus Crusade squad with two of our players.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

we can't even get a second team to play against us at the educational fair, and the teachers won't play us anymore either.

mujason

Post by mujason »

For our campus intramurals, we usually get 8 to 10 teams, although it seems like I'm the only regular team member who plays in the tournament. I heard a rumor that ten years ago Mizzou had the largest intramural tournament in the nation, attracting 40-plus teams.

Jason Mueller