Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Scholar Bowl quotes

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
johnboy81918

Scholar Bowl quotes

Post by johnboy81918 »

I just wanted other people to post interesting things people have said at some point that was during a scholar bowl (or whatever you call it) related thing.

For example:

"Make love, not war" said by Danny at JV state, much funnier in context, but maybe i shouldn't include the context here...

Aboard which spacecraft did Grissom, White, and Chaffey (sp? on those three names?): at this point Alex, who had been spaced out, buzzes in and says "DANDRUFF!!" apparently he heard white and chaffey and got a little overexcited...

so, just post whatever you want, just something random, and preferably funny.

mujason

Scholar Bowl quotes

Post by mujason »

Personally, I prefer to paraphrase KC and the Sunshine Band:
Do a little dance, make a little buzz, Quiz Bowl tonight.
I got a lot more where that came from.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Scholar Bowl quotes

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

And everyone thought "Sc0lr Boi" was over the top... :rolleyes:

mujason

Scholar Bowl quotes

Post by mujason »

Oh, I'm so over the top I can't even see it anymore!

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Scholar Bowl quotes

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

"I try to stay away from non-alcoholic beverages."

If you didn't see this when I posted it about a year ago, guess who said it. Otherwise, don't talk.

Oh, and should this be moved to Misc? It is about academic competition though...

wldcat_blldog
Location: Eureka, MO...or Kirksville, MO....or any points in between while driving

Scholar Bowl quotes

Post by wldcat_blldog »

Well let's see. Always a fave: I think we should build a parkway between Liberty and Kirksville and call it the Kyle Hill Memorial Parkway.

L-Town Expatriate

Scholar Bowl quotes

No, that's the Northeast Pancakes Memorial Parkway!!

Although, if I have my way, an extension of US-69 in Liberty west through a new interchange with I-35, past the new high school, replacing NE 104th Street to 291, and eventually snaking its way to Shoal Creek Parkway, would be named after me. The roadway ASAP, the moniker not too soon.

DeckardCain

Scholar Bowl quotes

Post by DeckardCain »

I remember you posting that Jeff, but can't recall who said it. And I still maintain Viburnum needs a parkway or multi-lane road at least

L-Town Expatriate

Scholar Bowl quotes

Beat the everloving crap out of Sierra Club members that protest the idea and you might get it.

wldcat_blldog
Location: Eureka, MO...or Kirksville, MO....or any points in between while driving

Scholar Bowl quotes

Post by wldcat_blldog »

I was making a reference to the first memorial parkway my dear Exchequer, not the most recent one. Heck, we've built about 100 or so memorial parkways since Regionals.

L-Town Expatriate

Scholar Bowl quotes

Ahh, yes. How many of those only lasted for about thirty feet?

And who's up for that parkway between circles of hell? Which was Maddog's idea, I should add.

johnboy81918

Scholar Bowl quotes

Post by johnboy81918 »

ScoBo1987 wrote: Oh, and should this be moved to Misc? It is about academic competition though...
I looked in the Misc section, and nothing even vaguely resembled academic competition, so I decided to put this here.

Besides, if a topic titled "Scholar Bowl <3" can go under discussion, so can this.

libertymark

Scholar Bowl quotes

Post by libertymark »

i prefer ryan's collaboration at maple woods

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Scholar Bowl quotes

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Oh yeah, the father-son pair of physicists who both won Nobel Prizes 50-some years apart.

Ryan: "I know this... one of them did something!"

Yeah, this thread belongs on this board. I realized it just after I posted it but kept the question there anyway.

LibertyMarie

Scholar Bowl quotes

Post by LibertyMarie »

"Caitlin, you're WORTHLESS!"
-Michael at Maple Woods.
shouting for all the room to hear.
lmao

East Buc & UMR

Scholar Bowl quotes

Post by East Buc & UMR »

What state was the senator from?”
“Go with California, we have a better chance.” ---Boonville to me

“What kind of Nerd are You?”----Me
“The Sexy kind!!” ---tracy

Octoguy

Scholar Bowl quotes

Post by Octoguy »

A couple years ago:

"To what religion did Anne Frank belong?"
My answer: "Methodist?"

I never lived that one down. :rolleyes:

East Buc & UMR

Scholar Bowl quotes

Post by East Buc & UMR »

brillant(sp)

libertymark

Scholar Bowl quotes

Post by libertymark »

that was good warren, real talent there

AC160

Scholar Bowl quotes

Post by AC160 »

Octoguy wrote: A couple years ago:

"To what religion did Anne Frank belong?"
My answer: "Methodist?"

I never lived that one down. :rolleyes:
That is a good one. I'll try not to forget that.
Do you remember what tournament it was you said that in?

Octoguy

Scholar Bowl quotes

Post by Octoguy »

Andrew: I think it was at Iberia my sophomore year. I smacked myself right after I said it.

Mark: I don't see you averaging over 16 toss-ups in a tournament.

:P

KentB

Scholar Bowl quotes

Post by KentB »

Question: What is the common name for beetle larva?

A guy on my team Freshman year: Dolphin

AC160

Scholar Bowl quotes

Post by AC160 »

Octoguy wrote: Andrew: I think it was at Iberia my sophomore year. I smacked myself right after I said it.

Mark: I don't see you averaging over 16 toss-ups in a tournament.

Was that the game we played you? I remember something like that happening now but can't place it. I might also be remember something one of our players did that was similar.

libertymark

Scholar Bowl quotes

Post by libertymark »

Octoguy wrote: Mark: I don't see you averaging over 16 toss-ups in a tournament.

i don't see you memorizing all the capitals of the world and the periodic table. :lol:

Octoguy

Scholar Bowl quotes

Post by Octoguy »

libertymark wrote: i don't see you memorizing all the capitals of the world and the periodic table. :lol:
You obviously don't know me, Mark.

:D

DeckardCain

Scholar Bowl quotes

Post by DeckardCain »

Yeah, that's what I was going to say.

Octoguy

Scholar Bowl quotes

Post by Octoguy »

Why, thank ya.

AC160

Scholar Bowl quotes

Post by AC160 »

Octoguy wrote:
libertymark wrote: i don't see you memorizing all the capitals of the world and the periodic table. :lol:
You obviously don't know me, Mark.

Next thing you know Warren will be memorizing the the major cities too.

Octoguy

Scholar Bowl quotes

Post by Octoguy »

Who says I haven't? Ha ha ha.

AC160

Scholar Bowl quotes

Post by AC160 »

Have you done that then?

Octoguy

Scholar Bowl quotes

Post by Octoguy »

Some yes, some no.

Jeffrey Hill

Scholar Bowl quotes

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Scholar Bowl is more than world capitals and elements. No wonder why there's never a lightning round on them! Move on to learning something else now. I think Warren wins, and I haven't even met him in person...

AC160

Scholar Bowl quotes

Post by AC160 »

I have and he knows a lot to say the least. He also is a real nice guy.

Octoguy

Scholar Bowl quotes

Post by Octoguy »

Jeff: I inspire that much faith?

Andrew: Thanks! You're not too bad of a guy yourself.

;) Keep those compliments coming!

Jeffrey Hill

Scholar Bowl quotes

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Well, considering you were on Eugene's state team last year, I'm sure you're more experienced than Mark. But then again, maybe I'm completely wrong.

Octoguy

Scholar Bowl quotes

Post by Octoguy »

Hmm, I suppose we'll never really know.

L-Town Expatriate

Scholar Bowl quotes

There's always college bowl!

CEE! BEE! AYEEEEEE!
(This is not an actual cheer.)

Addendum: SWEET PATRONS OF RED X! THIS WAS POST #12,345!!

johnboy81918

Scholar Bowl quotes

Post by johnboy81918 »

Jeff, I noticed nobody posted Arthur's great quote...

DeckardCain

Scholar Bowl quotes

Post by DeckardCain »

What was it? I don't remember.

johnboy81918

Scholar Bowl quotes

Post by johnboy81918 »

I think it was as follows:

"I don't have a uterus!"

but I could be mistaken...

Jeffrey Hill

Scholar Bowl quotes

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

johnboy81918 wrote: I think it was as follows:

"I don't have a uterus!"

but I could be mistaken...
I think that is correct.

MissCae

Scholar Bowl quotes

Post by MissCae »

Yes, it was, on the birds and the bees bonus in the Liberty vs. Eureka game. Apparently Arthur was trying to explain why he didn't get one of the answers . . . all I heard over the din was a male voice saying, "I didn't know, I don't have a uterus!" Maybe it was one of those, "you-had-to-be-there" sort of things.

DeckardCain

Scholar Bowl quotes

Post by DeckardCain »

Oh, yeah, that's it.

libertymark

Scholar Bowl quotes

Post by libertymark »

it sounds funny whatever it was

jmatthew

Scholar Bowl quotes

Post by jmatthew »

I can't think of a quote. Team members let me have it for answering William Jefferson Clinton on a question rather than Bill Clinton or Clinton.

Awehrman

Scholar Bowl quotes

Post by Awehrman »

Hi, Jon! It's been a long time since we've talked. I'm glad to see that things seem to be going well for you at UMKC. You didn't quite give your quotation about Bill Clinton justice, though. We gave you a hard time because of the entire context. This should go in the funniest/worst answers thread, because I maintain that it is the funniest bad answer in the history of quizbowl. I should add that this happened in Jon's first ever round in his first JV tournament and that he had not had much practice prior, but had lots of talent and was in no way shy about buzzing in.

As I remember it the question began "This president...." A player on the OTHER team buzzed in and answered "Bill Clinton" That answer is bad enough considering that the question had not given any other information at that point. As the moderator reset the system, Jon banged his buzzer and exclaimed (without being recognized as I remember) "William Jefferson Clinton!" He was ruled incorrect with the answer being James K. Polk, or something. It's funny for so many reasons. If you know Mr. Allen, you know that it's sometimes hard to get a big laugh out of him. If he gets really tickled by something, he will take off his glasses, turn bright red, put his head on his desk, and laugh uncontrollably. I have never seen him laugh so hard as when he recounted this story to the varsity team (I was a senior at the time). Jon had no where to go but up from there and went on to become one of NKC's best players ever, but it couldn't have started with started any worse.

jmatthew

Scholar Bowl quotes

Post by jmatthew »

Awehrman wrote: Hi, Jon! It's been a long time since we've talked. I'm glad to see that things seem to be going well for you at UMKC. You didn't quite give your quotation about Bill Clinton justice, though. We gave you a hard time because of the entire context. This should go in the funniest/worst answers thread, because I maintain that it is the funniest bad answer in the history of quizbowl. I should add that this happened in Jon's first ever round in his first JV tournament and that he had not had much practice prior, but had lots of talent and was in no way shy about buzzing in.

As I remember it the question began "This president...." A player on the OTHER team buzzed in and answered "Bill Clinton" That answer is bad enough considering that the question had not given any other information at that point. As the moderator reset the system, Jon banged his buzzer and exclaimed (without being recognized as I remember) "William Jefferson Clinton!" He was ruled incorrect with the answer being James K. Polk, or something. It's funny for so many reasons. If you know Mr. Allen, you know that it's sometimes hard to get a big laugh out of him. If he gets really tickled by something, he will take off his glasses, turn bright red, put his head on his desk, and laugh uncontrollably. I have never seen him laugh so hard as when he recounted this story to the varsity team (I was a senior at the time). Jon had no where to go but up from there and went on to become one of NKC's best players ever, but it couldn't have started with started any worse.
I'd totally forgotten the context. I thought it was the way I exclaimed William Jefferson Clinton. I remember buzzing and saying it as loud as I did because I thought there was no way I could be wrong.

The fact that Mr. Allen would laugh takes it to another level. The fact that he told the story in practice and started laughing is over the top for him.

I learned my lesson about when and when not to buzz in. I didn't know it was my first tournament. It had to have been at Savannah because of the ugly yellow walls. NKC didn't look much better. NKC had a dungeon full of dark grey walls. I haven't seen the inside of the school since it was fenced off several years back.

This semester's been good, except for the schedule. I have class from 7-8:15 on Tues and Thurs. evening and had a class that took up my recreation time on Sat and Sun from 8:30-4:30. I guess I'm getting acquainted with working in the nonprofit sector by taking a nonprofit class that meets on 3 Saturdays and Sundays.

I hope I will get a supplemental instructor position at UMKC next semester. I hope it's in American History since 1877 and not biology. Getting paid for helping students in classes you got A's in the past is quite cool. I wuuld just have to attend their class and hold 3 one-hour sessions after class each week.

Where is the apartment over Lake Michigan? Evanston, Lake Forest or on Chicago's Lake Shore Drive? I've got an apartment on 47th St. a block from J.C. Nichols Fountain and the Nelson Art Gallery. I've got an awesome view from the seventh floor of the American Century towers that look like ziggurats at the top. There was a giant picture of Lance Armstrong on the south tower last spring.

jmatthew

Scholar Bowl quotes

Post by jmatthew »

I may have left out an even better one. I was a freshman when this happened. I told Adam "Nixa" Hill that he was going to die because of Y2K when he played for NKC. I then brought in an article from the KC Star a few days later that had a quote from "Arkansas Bob" of all country bumpkins.

Pryce Davis let me have it for that one. I then started wearing some new shoes that looked like I had gone to the moon or something. I then brought in a book about the stars of the TV sitcom Dawson's Creek. The space shoes and the Y2K really signalled that I was quite the freshman. I was the Screech of the team.

At least I was right on one thing: Adam Hill disappeared from NKC. The traitor went to Nixa.