Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Savannah's tournament

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
East Buc & UMR

Savannah's tournament

Post by East Buc & UMR »

So I'm coaching this weekend... I'm hoping the tournament is the same format when I played. The only thing I have didn't remember was in the 4th quarter if they were 10 or 15 20 point tossups.

Also to all the members who are on the board and are going; come up and say hi or something. I have a photo of my self in my profile. I will be wearing either an ACO shirt or EB shirt, or a Gonzaga hoodie.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Savannah's tournament

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

Here is my hello from NEW YORK CITY!!

(I forgot my USB cord, so rather than run off to the Duane Reade pharmacy one block over, I'll forgo posting a picture of me in a limo on the Queensboro Bridge.)

johnboy81918

Savannah's tournament

Post by johnboy81918 »

I'm assuming you'll be coaching EB. But, just come and find Liberty! Then you can see all sorts of nerds! Myself (John), Mark, I think Jeff's coming with us...but you already know him anyway. Either way, come say hi.

East Buc & UMR

Savannah's tournament

Post by East Buc & UMR »

I've also know mark.... and yes coaching EB.... and no one has answered my question about the format and 4th quarter....

johnboy81918

Savannah's tournament

Post by johnboy81918 »

Well, we've been practicing with old Savannah questions, but since we didnt bother to keep score at practice...I didn't even know the final quarter was 20 point tossups. So...yeah, I'm clueless.

libertymark

Savannah's tournament

Post by libertymark »

i think its still the same format but he did something weird during the jv tournament and he might change the format a little.

East Buc & UMR

Savannah's tournament

Post by East Buc & UMR »

you guys are killing me...

Trey

Savannah's tournament

Post by Trey »

Results I know: Mound City beat Tarkio to win Division I. In the semifinals, Mound City beat us (Saint Joe Christian), and Tarkio beat Bishop Leblond. Thats three teams from Class 1 Disctrict 8 in the final four. Intense, eh?

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Savannah's tournament

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Division II: Liberty barely beat Ft. Smith Northside 420-405

10 pt tossups: L-L-N-L-X-N-N-L-X-L-L-N-L-N-L-L-X-N-L-N=Liberty 100-70
Lightning: Northside 8, Liberty rebounds 1=Northside 150-110
Liberty 7, Northside 2=Liberty 180-170
Tossup/Bonuses: L(L-L-L-N); L(L-L-X-X); N(N-N-L-X); N(N-N-N-N); N(N-N-L-L)=Northside 245-240 [note that bonus parts above are not in order]
20 pt tossups: X-N-L-N-L-X-N-N-N-L-L-L-N-N-L-L-N-L-L-X=Liberty 420-405

Notice that the fourth quarter was bascially Liberty answering Northside's points ("answering" in this case meaning when Northside got a question, Liberty answered with its own correct question; Northside got 3 consecutive questions, Liberty got 3 consecutive right after; until question 44 of 45 when Liberty finally pulled ahead.)

Largest leads: Northside - 65 (after #34); Liberty - 50 (after second Tossup/Bonus)
Lead changes: 4
Ties: 1 (after question 7)

More nerve-wracking than the game against Savannah at NKC!

East Buc & UMR

Savannah's tournament

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Leblond wasn't a top 4 team... it was Mound City and everyone else. With SJC and Tarkio playing for 2nd.

AC160

Savannah's tournament

Post by AC160 »

L-Town Expatriate wrote: Here is my hello from NEW YORK CITY!!

(I forgot my USB cord, so rather than run off to the Duane Reade pharmacy one block over, I'll forgo posting a picture of me in a limo on the Queensboro Bridge.)
Enjoying it?

SimRPGman

Savannah's tournament

Post by SimRPGman »

It was almost all Ryan and John Saturday at Savannah. I wasn't much help, sadly... The questions were all speed and they are admittedly much faster than I. I got in only 6 times the whole day. I did only miss one thankfully, and that was a stupid guess.

Scrag41

Savannah's tournament

Post by Scrag41 »

Mound Town placed first, beating Tarkio for Division I. I know you all already know that, but we're stoked to say the least. Savannah's tournament was awesome. Nothing is greater than beating down Tarkio. They made a huge mistake second quarter (muahahaha). Three cheers for sweet redemption.

East Buc & UMR

Savannah's tournament

Post by East Buc & UMR »

What mistake did they make?

Trey

Savannah's tournament

Post by Trey »

I believe that they stalled on the first question of the lightening round.

East Buc & UMR

Savannah's tournament

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Well EB wanted to do that round 2 when they got maybe 4 right in the 2 rounds and the other team stole 10 or so. Solved that by having them staying away from the lit ones. Worked well against West Platte and I think we got 5 against Mound City.

East Buc & UMR

Savannah's tournament

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Also Will Newhart has to be one of the best readers I've heard. Probably top 2 at the high school level I've heard in the state. Case you are wondering Jim is the other

Trey

Savannah's tournament

Post by Trey »

Is Will Newhart the goofy guy with glasses that was dressed in a suit? I don't remember his name, but he was an excellent reader.

MoundCityBMW...T

Savannah's tournament

Post by MoundCityBMW...T »

No--that's Brad Cordell...Will was...Will...

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Savannah's tournament

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Trey wrote:the goofy guy with glasses that was dressed in a suit?  I don't remember his name, but he was an excellent reader.
I agree that he's (Brad Cordell) a very good reader but he can get annoying if he rambles on about something after a question. I always remind Liberty to think of their favorite things (movies, ice cream flavor, etc.) whenever at Smithville or Savannah since he usually asks a question like that during the buzzer check (although he didn't do so this time) He also didn't call the championship the "hardware round" as he usually does...

George Clooney

Savannah's tournament

Post by George Clooney »

I do distinctly remember a mention of "hardware being at stake." I dunno about the exact phrase "hardware round," but he stuck to his typical performance... Yea Brad is always great. Will Newhart is really good too. I dunno if any of you had Tom, but he usually is pretty good as well. I had to moderate the Smithville v. Liberty round and I screwed up a thing or two, but hey that's how it goes. Anywho, I hope everyone enjoyed the tournament.

jcarkeys

Savannah's tournament

Post by jcarkeys »

ScoBo1987 wrote:
Trey wrote:the goofy guy with glasses that was dressed in a suit?  I don't remember his name, but he was an excellent reader.
I agree that he's (Brad Cordell) a very good reader but he can get annoying if he rambles on about something after a question. I always remind Liberty to think of their favorite things (movies, ice cream flavor, etc.) whenever at Smithville or Savannah since he usually asks a question like that during the buzzer check (although he didn't do so this time) He also didn't call the championship the "hardware round" as he usually does...
Did he read at state? And if he did, was that the round where Bill sat in and watched us (against Ava, I think)

East Buc & UMR

Savannah's tournament

Post by East Buc & UMR »

that was jim at state