Looking for practice material?
Find thousands of archived packets FREE for practice and study use at the Quizbowl Packet Archive!
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:31 am

District Results 

Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)
Post District Results
Seeing as how the Districts thread is already 5 pages long, post how you did today in this thread, and somebody should copy all of the info from MSHSAA when they get it posted.

Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:02 am
Profile WWW

Post District Results
See you at state, kids.

Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:29 pm

Post District Results
PCH-425, Ladue-295

It was a very fun, intense day.

Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:31 pm

Post District Results
Savannah 520- LeBlond 140

FYI LeBlond beat Cameron like 485-170 or somethin like that... it was a pretty good margin so they had some divine inspiration after a stagnant season. Also, these questions suck. We had a pretty great team effort with myself, Tom, and Will all making the all-district team.

Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:33 pm

Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)
Post District Results
Game 1: Liberty 550-Park Hill South 165
Game 2: Liberty 550-Excelsior Springs 125
Game 3: Liberty 405-Oak Park 320 (We were actually TIED at 180 at the end of the first half)

Game 4: Liberty 335-Park Hill 240 (We struggled at the beginning of the game; down 50-70 at the end of the first, but we got it together and were ahead 155-110 at the end of the half)

Championship: Liberty 465-Oak Park 195 (we dominated the entire time)

I don't know if it was intimidation from their previous game against NKC or what that slowed them down (that explanation seems more logical, or we just played better; we buzzed in too early many times in the first game against OP).

We are now going to be the team with the most state trips from Class 4, District 8, as this is our 5th in a row. (Of course, NKC won all 4 times they went, thanks to the Wehrmans, so that's not a great comparison).

We don't know who is all district yet. Michael is obvious, but I scored 17 tossups in the morning (29 total) and Ryan scored 13 in the morning (20 total). Last year they based it on the morning only (we got our medals before the 4th game). Unless there were a lot of one person teams, I should make it but I think Ryan is doubful. (Dane and I both had 19 in the morning last year).

The questions... they are better than the sample set we practiced, but the bonuses are especially ridiculous, especially when there was a regular bonus that could be broken down easily into 4 separate questions but they read all the questions at once, as that was the way it was written on the page. The math was also insanely ridiculous, especially the four-parts-at-once bonuses. The other questions could be a little better, but they are definitely better than the questions we had in Conference and Quads.

Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:51 pm
Profile WWW

Post District Results
oh man....ladue OWNED almost all the math
remember that one question near the end of the finals....find the area of a semicircle with a base edge of 15?
they got that IMMEDIATELY. I was like, WTF?

Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:01 pm

Post District Results
Whoever got that question must have memorized a bunch of squares, as that person took 75 squared, shifted it over two decimal places to get 7.5 squared, divided by two, and tacked on pi to get the answer.

Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:06 pm

Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair
Post District Results
JimmyL wrote:
oh man....ladue OWNED almost all the math
remember that one question near the end of the finals....find the area of a semicircle with a base edge of 15?
they got that IMMEDIATELY. I was like, WTF?

You better let Coach Allen know who that guy is immediately! Virginia and Maryland must be humbled by the minds from Districts 3-8, 4-3 and 4-8!

Sat Apr 16, 2005 2:11 pm

Post District Results
WCA advances to state.

Game 1 vs. Bourbon: 700 pts
Game 2 vs. Hancock: 535 pts
Game 3 vs. Potosi: 545 pts
Game 4 vs. St. James: 445 (I think) pts
Game 5 vs. Priory: 350-320 us

I don't remember the other teams' scores, save for the Priory game. Priory only beat John Burroughs by 5 in the 2v3 semifinal.

Sat Apr 16, 2005 3:22 pm

Post District Results
Wow, that Priory game must have been really good.
700 points...sheesh. I must agree, that was the easiest round of the day though. We scored 595 during that one (only our third time breaking 500....to my knowledge).

Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:15 pm

Post District Results
Yea we played terrible all day... Anyway, congrats to Westminster on the 700 pt. round!

Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:19 pm

Post District Results
JimmyL wrote:
Wow, that Priory game must have been really good.

We were definitely not playing our best, but that is not to short Priory's awesome team. If they made it to state, I think that they could do very, very well against other teams.

Sat Apr 16, 2005 4:51 pm

Post District Results
Osage won class 3 district 4

Sat Apr 16, 2005 5:06 pm
Profile WWW

Post District Results
In Class 3 District 7, Lexington defeated Oak Grove 300-295. In semis, OG knocked off top seed Pembroke Hill and Lexington handled St. Mary's of Independence to set up a real nail-biter. Lexington came back from 1st half deficit to take the lead and the win.

Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:04 pm

Post District Results
Hume beat St. Elizabeth for District 3 Class 1 championship. No more "trash talking" from me, because, St. Elizabeth in the trial rounds beat us, but we beat them in the championship game.

Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:46 pm

Post District Results
No more Gandolf avatar for me. Everyone, I am sorry for the "trash talking", it was unethical to do before a game.

Sat Apr 16, 2005 7:53 pm

Post District Results
Richland-415 Eugene-175

3 players on the all-district team.

Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:08 pm

Post District Results
The offer from last year stands, I and my group of friends that will be helping at state (Jim, Matt, and two others) challenge anyone that wants to play a game of football. 4 on 4, 5 on 5, what ever. Friday or saturday it doesn't matter. let me know

Sat Apr 16, 2005 9:16 pm
Profile WWW
Post District Results
mujason wrote:
Whoever got that question must have memorized a bunch of squares, as that person took 75 squared, shifted it over two decimal places to get 7.5 squared, divided by two, and tacked on pi to get the answer.

great analysis hot shot..
i dont' think anyone knew how they did it...thanks for clearing up that bit of 7th grade math

Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:10 am

Post District Results
Our districts were fairly good but the numbers don't really compare to the rest. Round 1: 440
Round 2: 420
Round 3: 550
Round 4: 370
Round 5: 350 .... all were by more than 150 points I think...stalled for a while against New Madrid in the championship but eventually took off. The only problem is that I was the only All-District from my team.

Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:32 am
Profile WWW

Post District Results
Quote:
Our districts were fairly good but the numbers don't really compare to the rest.

Dude, Kent, you pwned. Have more confidence man.

Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:39 am

Post District Results
I always have a hard time being confident because our wins come against such easy teams. I'll start getting more confident as I study a lot more in the next couple weeks.... and try to get my teammates to do the same. It would be nice to get more team support going.

Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:52 am
Profile WWW
Post District Results
JimmyL wrote:
Quote:
Our districts were fairly good but the numbers don't really compare to the rest.

Dude, Kent, you pwned. Have more confidence man.

i love you man
you're hilarious

NOTE TO EVERYONE: jimmy never says "pwned" nor does he inspirational mantras outside of this board

actually he did say pwned one time..afte he kicked a homeless, teen mother

Sun Apr 17, 2005 8:53 am

Post District Results
Pwnd is replacing the often used "Crazy-good." :P

Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:05 am
Profile WWW

Post District Results
We lost to Helias. Twice, actually, once in the morning and once in finals. Both games were close but they were clean losses. Maybe we weren't at our best, but I just think sometime between the Marshall Tournament and Districts they got better than us. They're also the most well-rounded team I've ever played. Consider: They won the tournament without a loss, they were only outscored by us, and none of their players made the District team. There are no filler players.

So my quiz bowl career is over, which is very strange. As I was typing this I realized that I've been playing for six years--one third of my life. It's been a lot of fun.

Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:16 pm

Post District Results
wow. Tim, I'm really sorry to hear that. Helias must have a great team. It really sucks I won't be seeing you guys at state. So I guess Kirksville shall forever remain a team PCH has never beaten.

Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:21 pm

Post District Results
I can empathize with you, Tim. Eugene lost twice to Richland in both the morning and afternoon rounds.

That ends my high school academic bowl era. I've been playing since the school offered it in 6th grade. So now prom is in a week and graduation in four weeks, putting me in a very reflective mood.

The future MO State has a college bowl team, but I don't know if I'll keep playing or not.

Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:34 pm

Post District Results
tcarroll wrote:
We lost to Helias. Twice, actually, once in the morning and once in finals. Both games were close but they were clean losses. Maybe we weren't at our best, but I just think sometime between the Marshall Tournament and Districts they got better than us. They're also the most well-rounded team I've ever played. Consider: They won the tournament without a loss, they were only outscored by us, and none of their players made the District team. There are no filler players.

Sorry to hear that... did you play Helias at the Marshall Tournament, and what were the scores in your two games? The balanced effort is also quite intimidating... I think the last time we saw them was at last year's Truman tournament, so that's no indicator whatsoever.

Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:54 pm
Profile WWW

Post District Results
Helias was very good here at UMR , who else made the afternoon?

Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:09 pm
Profile WWW

Post District Results
From what I remember of Helias at the Mizzou tournament in November, Will was their star player. They made the semis but lost a tight match to Rock Bridge by about 50.

Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:12 pm

Post District Results
mujason wrote:
From what I remember of Helias at the Mizzou tournament in November, Will was their star player.

That's what the UMR stats show... Will was their star but Zeb and Chris were not too far behind. Poplar Bluff also looks pretty balanced (two teams above Helias), but we don't know if they won their district.

Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:18 pm
Profile WWW

Post District Results
I will be shocked if Poplar didn't win

Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:18 pm
Profile WWW

Post District Results
Quote:
From what I remember of Helias at the Mizzou tournament in November, Will was their star player. They made the semis but lost a tight match to Rock Bridge by about 50.

For a tournament to count shouldn't there be more than 4 schools attending?

Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:21 pm
Profile WWW

Post District Results
Excuse me, but there were nine teams at that tournament (due to some bad scheduling karma; we're usually at 20). Besides, that isn't the point.

Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:27 pm

Post District Results
Nine teams how many SCHOOLS?

Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:38 pm
Profile WWW

Post District Results
Poplar Bluff did not win. They were defeated in the semi's by Cape Central (my gf's team... woo hoo) and the district went to Jackson. Jackson is really not all that great so don't expect too much from them. I say that hoping they won't be reading this but it's just that they have never put up much of a fight while playing us. I was really surprised that Poplar Bluff lost because they are the only local team to beat us at any point in the season.

Jackson is pretty fast on math and are fairly balanced. They have a guy named Norman who is their big scorer but he can easily be shut down by faster fingers.

Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:39 pm
Profile WWW

Post District Results
Seven schools, as Rock Bridge and Helias both brought B-teams. (the others were Eureka, Viburnum, Boonville, Pilot Grove, and Tuscumbia).

Now back to topic: Kent, you say your team won district, but I don't see anywhere you saying which team you belong to. Circumstantial evidence points to Notre Dame (CG). Am I right?

Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:42 pm

Post District Results
I am now shocked

Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:51 pm
Profile WWW

Post District Results
Strange things happen; a lot depends on the questions. I recall Jackson made state in 2000; I'll have to check my program, but I think that was their only trip and I think they didn't do very well. On a side note; Jackson has the state's largest chapter of FBLA.

Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:53 pm

Post District Results
Yes, I am with Cape ND. Jackson has a ginormous FBLA. They are the only one in the area that I know studies for the tests. This may be why they consistently go to nationals.... just a guess. I never got too motivated by FBLA. It was always too boring for me and too proper (parliamentary procedures= nap time).

Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:58 pm
Profile WWW

Post District Results
ajax wrote:
Hume beat St. Elizabeth for District 3 Class 1 championship. No more "trash talking" from me, because, St. Elizabeth in the trial rounds beat us, but we beat them in the championship game.

I heard your trash talking didn't do any good by the way. The last round questions just weren't what St. E was the best at.

Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:47 pm

Post District Results
Oh, well Andrew. They were good, but the questions just weren't theirs. Also, I believe they got tired, they got pissed at one point, but so did I. I would love to play them again, b/c they were the best competition I've had for awhile.

Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:01 pm

Post District Results
Also, Andrew, I have learned a lesson, trash talking according to Jason, does not work at all.

Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:02 pm

Post District Results
ajax wrote:
I would love to play them again, b/c they were the best competition I've had for awhile.

Although I think you were the one that said nobody else on your team takes it seriously, you make it sound like they are insignificant ("the best competition I've had for awhile.") Since AC is a team sport, it seems wrong to me for anybody to not refer to their team as "we", even if it were someone who did absolutely everything and the other members of the team did absolutely nothing.

Sun Apr 17, 2005 3:15 pm
Profile WWW

Post District Results
Okay, I am sorry.

Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:16 pm

Post District Results
The MSHSAA website has all but three districts up now!!!
(Class 1, District 8; Class 2, District 7; and Class 3, District 7 did not report; likely winners are Mound City, Barstow, and Lexington).

Results

Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:31 pm

Post District Results
first time Pilot grove is not making the trip

Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:39 pm
Profile WWW

Post District Results
Did Mound City win their district? I was pulling for you guys but it isn't up on the MSHSAA site yet.

Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:57 pm

Post District Results
Its still eating me up about districts this year;
Game 1: Bye (actullay West Nodaway didn't show so therefore it was Varsity vs. JV using the question if we did play West Nodaway) If you want the score to that one it was 475ish to 95. varsity of course.
Game 2 : Mound City 275 vs. Tarkio 280---this was so gay, we were ahead so much. Also the reader was stupid, Tarkio would buzz in and the reader would finish the question for them also the "stash" man from Tarkio would buzz in and said the answer before being recognized and she went on like it was nothing. So its still killing brandon, Matt, Sam, Catherine, and myself.
Game 3 : Mound City 470 vs. Craig 100--not much said about this game.

all district: Brandon and probably Matt

To make the afternoon round they look at your record and averaged your points together. So that bye really killed us, rock port had us by point by like 100 or so because they played three games while we played 2.

Championship Game : St Joe Christian 425ish vs. Tarkio 230ish

The questions were really stupid, I hoping its not the same writer next year, those were not our questions.
Overall we had a really good year. So next year our team will be looking strong again. Here is a breakdown of next years team:

Team Member/Area of Study
Brandon/Pretty Much Everything.
Lauren/Literature, Geography, Science, mythology, Math, and Health
Jered(this is me)/Histroy, Sports, Current Events, Math, some literature and fine arts.
Jason/ Math, Mythology, and Science.
John/ Math, History, Agriculture, and Science.

Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:24 pm

Post District Results
Well the way they do it is win % so rock port probably went 2-1 and you went 1-1. Unlike normal districts where it is total points when there are byes it is average points per game.

Quote:
Game 2 : Mound City 275 vs. Tarkio 280---this was so gay, we were ahead so much. Also the reader was stupid, Tarkio would buzz in and the reader would finish the question for them also the "stash" man from Tarkio would buzz in and said the answer before being recognized and she went on like it was nothing. So its still killing brandon, Matt, Sam, Catherine, and myself.

Did you protest those? If not then that is your guys fault

Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:37 pm
Profile WWW