Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Big 7 Conference Tournament

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Well, Blue Springs South, Lee's Summit, and William Chrisman aren't coming.

That leaves Blue Springs, Liberty, Lee's Summit North, and Oak Park.

And strangely enough, it IS the Super Four!!! The four schools that are playing are all bigger than the three that aren't.

According to the official MSHSAA list, Tonka is bigger than Chrisman by 6... so they don't go by MSHSAA enrollments to determine conferences.

Anyway, it's Tuesday, March 15 at Liberty after school. We played LSN at Quad 3 and Blue Springs and Oak Park at Quad Finals... so we'll see what happens. Oak Park is definitely our biggest threat.

tcarroll

Post by tcarroll »

Blue Springs isn't that great, though, are they?

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

They can be but we beat them 410-180 (if I remember correctly) at Quads. If you're as good or better as you guys were last year, you'll be fine.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

tcarroll wrote: Blue Springs isn't that great, though, are they?
You shouldn't have much of a problem against them.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

As much as I am obsessed with Scholar Bowl, all this school day stuff we've had is starting to get annoying. We get done with Quads and Maple Woods pops up, then we get done with Maple Woods and the next Tuesday is Conference. I can't wait for Savannah on Saturday... it's about time we had a regular one-day tournament!!!

(I'm complaining mainly because: 1-Band concert at 8:00 same night, so I don't have much time after ScoBo to get ready, although Bethany, Marie, and Caitlin have it worse since Orch concert's at 7. 2-College Comp paper draft due Wednesday. 3-I hate literature, poetry especially, so I don't want to do said paper)

Enough complaining....

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Anyway, we won, Oak Park took second, Blue Springs took third, and Lee's Summit North took fourth. I don't have our scoresheets so I can't post scores yet. I think we got 430 against Oak Park, 435 against Blue Springs, and 455 against Lee's Summit North.

TIM: Get ahead of Blue Springs quickly. We were off at the beginning; they led 70-40 at the end of the first quarter. The second quarter was evenly matched; they were still ahead 30, which gave us first choice at the lightning round. We got 8 out of 10 and they didn't rebound. Then they chose a "list the ten smallest countries" round and only got one. I think we rebounded 4, which put us ahead by 80. I think they got the first tossup of the fourth quarter and we rallied to beat them 435-205. They were definitely flustered by us taking so many in a row, but it could have been the flow-breaking lightning round. If you get ahead, it seems they will lose their concentration.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

I watched the "Big 7" conference today and echo the disapproval of the questions. I hope the coaches (or ADs) responsible for finding these questions realized how dumb the providers were when they had the lightning round placed in the fourth quarter as opposed to third. Plus TOO MUCH LISTING! And some of them were really vague: "Name ten instruments found in a jazz band." What kind of jazz!? Dixie? Swing? Fusion? Listing should not be allowed for lightning rounds!! TOO LAZY!

Melissa, if I could suggest a local provider for quads and suburban conferences next year, I hope you can keep up with 20 rounds of questions, because I'm suggesting Maverick. Or you, Bill, Jeff and I can finally form CCOMBB.

MissCae

Post by MissCae »

I could definitely write for those competitions. I work fast, I could use the money, and seeing as how my next two semesters will be filled with mind-numbing classes for my education minor, I will definitely have the time.

Maverick Questions -- for all your quiz bowl needs.

What does CCOMBB stand for?

mujason

Post by mujason »

Hey, I can help write questions, too!

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Collegiate Consortium Of Missouri Brain Bowlers - from an earlier post.

I could probably volunteer some questions as well.

mujason

Post by mujason »

Yeah, we can do this! Since Melissa's already Maverick, I guess I'll be Iceman. Also, Melissa, did you get my message?

MissCae

Post by MissCae »

I'll reply tomorrow, Jason. My head is swimming from reading non-stop for an American frontier history class (yes, my spring break is being spent doing homework).

East Buc & UMR

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Well not next year for me If my plans go right I will have plenty to write for UMR and NAQT

mujason

Post by mujason »

Thanks, Melissa. Are you reading any Frederick Jackson Turner?

MissCae

Post by MissCae »

No, I read about his frontier hypothesis for the first test, now it's the fur trade.