Looking for practice material?
Find thousands of archived packets FREE for practice and study use at the Quizbowl Packet Archive!
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:06 pm

WUHSAC VII 

Post WUHSAC VII
Wash U's annual invitational tournament was today. As usual, the questions were excellent and the tournament was well run.

Results:
1. Paul Laurence Dunbar A, Kentucky
2. Paul Laurence Dunbar B, Kentucky
3. Eureka A (they were amazing in our third place game)
4. Parkway Central A
Defeated in Quarterfinals: Priory, Westminster (but George had left)

Anyway....Dunbar is good.

Sat Jan 29, 2005 5:55 pm

Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)
Post WUHSAC VII
JimmyL wrote:
3. Eureka A (they were amazing in our third place game)

Ouch... and I'm going to guess that they're not going to miss the top 4 at state by 5 and 10 point losses this year. State will be highly competitive yet again.

(Of course, this is assuming they win Districts, which looks promising)

Oh, and how big of a margin?

Sat Jan 29, 2005 6:03 pm
Profile WWW

Post WUHSAC VII
So did you guys play Dunbar in the Semi's?

Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:32 pm

Post WUHSAC VII
I would say yes that is how most tournaments work. The losers of the Semi games play for 3rd... the winners play for 1st

Sat Jan 29, 2005 8:44 pm
Profile WWW

Post WUHSAC VII
Quote:
Anyway....Dunbar is good.

Y'think? The only reason their C team wasn't ranked in the top 6 was because we played them the last round before playoffs and we were both undefeated going into that match.

As to George not being there, ehh. We just had a really bad round for that playoffs, dumb mistakes and just a bunch of literary things none of us had a clue about. We did pretty well without him that match against Dunbar C.

And is it just me, or did you think that the back of the tshirts this year was pretty lame? Rehashing the design seemed extraordinarily uncreative, though, with how poor the tournament seemed to go this year it's not that big of a surprise.

Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:36 pm

Post WUHSAC VII
Any idea on who the top scorers were?

Sat Jan 29, 2005 9:59 pm
Profile WWW

Post WUHSAC VII
oh man, our game vs. dunbar actually went better than expected. Their team basically consists of these four guys who don't exactly look physically intimidating (not like it matters in quiz bowl). Anyway, they know incredibly obscure stuff, but we somehow pulled to an 80-0 lead right after the first two questions. Joey on our team buzzed in correctly with the following clue:
"Born in St. Petersburg, she moved to America in....*BUZZ*"
Then I swept a bonus on the WB. Haha, and the other question was something else that was pretty easy. Anyway, it went back and forth, with their gradually accumulating a small lead (after my answer of "buckminsterfullerene" was not accepted, since the answer they were looking for was just "fullerene." Does anybody know the difference?) Anyway, we were 30 points going into the last 40 point question and they swept it. Loss of 70 points.

The Eureka game was another story. i don't know what happened, but I think our terrible loss can be attributed to 15% our being incredibly tired, 15% Eureka seemed to REALLY like the questions, 70% arthur going insane and buzzing in on 7-8 questions after the first or second sentence in the 5-6 sentence question. Seriously, I have to give major "props" to him (for lack of a better word) for knowing such freakishly obscure information. We lost by a helluva lot...I think it was like 390 to 125 or something. Eureka at its best (and we weren't even playing at our worst).

Top Scorers....I don't remember the exact order, but
It was me, then patrick from Priory, and then Andrew from WCA was third or fourth, and george was like fifth. I don't remember the others....some dunbar guys were in there somewhere.

Yea, Dunbar overall is freaking incredible. After witnessing their team as a whole, I hate to think of how good Thomas Jefferson in VA is....since they beat Dunbar every year in the KMO and NAQT. These out of state, nationallly ranked teams are amazing. Dunbar's coach is also very knowledgeable. Every time his team was late on an answer while playing us, he's look angry and throw his head back, apparently disgusted that his team hadn't buzzed in yet.

Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:30 pm

Post WUHSAC VII
Do you remember how the fullerene question went?

Sat Jan 29, 2005 10:49 pm
Profile WWW
Post WUHSAC VII
fullerene describes any class of structured carbon distinct from diamond or graphite that makes use of Carbon structure by making it into closed forms.

buckminsterfullerene is C60 - the bucky ball was the first time this was done, but there are a lot of them... C70, and a bunch of others

Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:13 pm