Want to improve over the holiday break?
Find thousands of packets FREE for practice/study use at the Quizbowl Packet Archive!
For the Middle School and Elementary Divisions, we will use question set MS-25 from National Academic Quiz Tournaments (NAQT). You can find free sample questions at http://www.naqt.com. This is the same set as Houston's tournament on February 2nd. Teams cannot attend both events.
Middle School will play in the 20/20 format of tossups and 3-part non-rebounding bonuses. There will be powers for early correct answers, but no penalties for incorrect answers.
We are starting with an initial Middle School cap at 24 teams. My main concern is staff. This tournament has been a popular event, but one that I have consistent troubles keeping adequately staffed. My usual army of scorekeepers from my high school event, namely the middle schoolers, will actually be playing this go-around.
So to help facilitate this, and open to the highest number of schools possible, only the first team from a school will enter the field, and any remaining teams will go onto the waitlist. We are also capping rosters at 7 players per team.
The Elementary division will run on a slightly modified set and the same rules as the Middle School Division, but games will be shortened to 16 tossup cycles and bonuses will rebound. We are capping the Elementary field at 12 teams. Again, only a school’s first team will be placed in the field, then any other teams will be on the waitlist. Again, rosters are capped at 7 per team.
- $70 for the first Middle School team for a school, $65 for each additional Middle School team. (B, etc.)
- $60 for the first Elementary team for a school, $55 for each additional Elementary team.
- Fully functional buzzer systems are a $5 discount.
- Providing an experienced moderator (reader) is a $15 discount. Please let us know about these well in advance. We reserve the right to refuse this discount.
- With the large number of divisions and teams, at this point most moderators will be working without a scorekeeper. Providing a scorekeeper who can work a room the whole day is a $5 discount.
- Teams traveling over 100 miles (one way per Google Maps) will receive a $5 discount.
Registration will begin at 8:30, the first matches will take place at 9:00 AM, and there will be a lunch break around 12 PM. There will be a concession stand (popcorn, candy, and sodas) open during the day. There are several options for lunch in town.
Spots will be filled on a first come/first served basis. Please use this form to register
You are not registered until you receive a confirmation email from the tournament director. If interest and staffing permits, we will lift the cap to as high as we can accommodate. Again, please let us know about buzzers and moderators as early as possible.
The top 2 teams in each division will receive a trophy. There are prizes (books and medals) for the top 10 individual scorers in each division.
Our school’s address is 401 E 14th St., Washington, MO 63090.
- If you come by I-44, Washington is exit #251 on route 100 – turn right at the 100/47 intersection, and then take a left to the middle school at the 2nd stoplight.
- If you come by I-70, take exit 203 (State Hwy T) follow that for about 15 miles, turn left on 47, cross the bridge into town, and take a right to the middle school at the 5th stoplight.
Middle School Field (32/32)
Orchard Farm A
Orchard Farm B
Middle School Waitlist
Elementary Division (14/18)
STL Patriots A
STL Patriots B
Orchard Farm (TBD)
Washington (11 if all are available)
Orchard Farm (TBD)
Washington (a ton if not all my middle schoolers are playing)
STL Patriots (2)
Orchard Farm (2)
In the Elementary division, Mountain Home (AR) won over CGE A in the final.
I'll have more info and thanks for everyone tomorrow, but stats are here.
Thanks to our parents organization for all your help. I didn't get much of a chance to see who all was working at the concession stand throughout the day, and a lot of the people in the organization were drafted into the staffing list up above. I really do appreciate the help you're giving the program.