Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

WUHSAC XXI (2/16/2019)

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
Mickey0R0urke

WUHSAC XXI (2/16/2019)

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

The Washington University Quiz Bowl team is excited to announce the twenty-first annual WUHSAC, to be held at Washington University in St. Louis on Saturday, February 16th, 2019. This is, as in previous years, President's Day Weekend, which (weather permitting) is an ideal way to use the holiday by seeing our campus and the city of St. Louis!

My name is Jacob O’Rourke, and I'll serve as co-tournament director for this year's tournament, with my Co-TD being Erik Tomasic of the WUSTL team. The set is once again a mirror of Yale's BHSAT event. We are looking forward to a tournament that will celebrate the awesome teams and students playing in the event as well as our two decades of hosting the best and brightest of Missouri and nearby states!

To sign your team up for WUHSAC XXI, please e-mail me at jacob.orourke.7@gmail.com with a note about WUHSAC in the memo line so I can easily flag it. Teams will be signed up on a first-come, first-served basis. The field will be updated online at moquizbowl.com and hsquizbowl.org as registrations are received. If the field fills up before you can sign up, please allow us to waitlist you as well; in such a large field, there is an appreciable chance that one or more teams will cancel. I will be setting the initial cap at the same as we had the last two years, which was 48 teams.

WUHSAC's general rules will be similar to last year.

Rules
•20 tossups and bonuses per game
•no computational math
•20 point powers
•NO bouncebacks on bonuses.
UNLIKE last year, we WILL be using negs.

Format
•48-team field with the possibility that this might expand
•Bracketed round robin prelims
•Re-bracketed round robin playoffs
•four-team superplayoffs and final if needed

Fees for the tournament will be as follows:
•$10 per school plus $65 per team
•-$5 per fully functional (eight-player) buzzer, up to $15 off per school
•-$15 per experienced staff volunteer

Information regarding the set distribution for BHSAT can be found at this link:

http://hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 09&t=21465

I'd like to ask everyone interested in providing staff to let me know the name of the staffer as soon as possible and if that person would rather scorekeep or is good to read. Keeping track of staff for a tournament of this size will be almost as big a deal as keeping track of the field in preparation for the event. Thank you very much for your help!

As in previous years, we expect that some number of top-finishing teams at WUHSAC XXI will be invited to this year's PACE National Scholastics Championship, which is on June 8th-9th at the Hyatt Regency in Reston, VA. We hope WUHSAC will provide a useful opportunity for teams and staffers to visit and become familiar with a format similar to that of NSC beforehand (albeit NSC uses bouncebacks). A link to the 2019 NSC can be found here:

http://www.pace-nsc.org/2019-nsc-announcement/

In addition there will be a separate award for the top small school at the event, using the PACE NSC definition of small school. There will also be an award if 4 or more teams qualify for the top JV team per the PACE definition. The definitions are as follows per the 2017 NSC:

"A JV team consists of players in 10th grade or below…”

A “small school” is a school with fewer than 700 students in 10th through 12th grades that is a public school and has a non-selective admission policy (non-selective is not the same as non-magnet; schools from systems where every school is a specialized center and students may choose to attend any are eligible)."

If you have any further questions, please e-mail me or reply here. We look forward to you all attending WUHSAC XXI!

Sincerely,

Jacob O’Rourke
Co-Tournament Director, WUHSAC XXI

Mickey0R0urke

Re: WUHSAC XXI (2/16/2019)

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Field (48/48):
-Louisiana* [1 team, 2 buzzers, 0 staffers]
-Hallsville* [3 teams, 1 buzzer, 1 staffer]
-Coppell (TX) [1 team, 1 buzzer, 0 staffers]
-Oakville [2 teams, 1 buzzer, 0 staffers]
-Eldon* [2 teams, 1 buzzer, 0 staffers]
-Parkway Central [1 team, 0 buzzers, 0 staffers]
-Parkway West [1 team, 1 buzzer, 0 staffers]
-Eureka [1 team, 1 buzzers, 1 staffer]
-Thomas Jefferson IDS [2 teams, 0 buzzers, 0 staffers]
-Hannibal [1 team, 0 buzzers, 0 staffers]
-Webster Groves [1 team, 0 buzzers, 0 staffers]
-Kickapoo [4 teams, 2 buzzers, 0 staffers]
-Westminster (GA) [2 teams, 0 buzzers, 1 staffer]
-Glendale [3 teams, 0 buzzers, 0 staffers]
-John Burroughs [1 team, 1 buzzer, 0 staffers]
-St. Joseph Central [2 teams, 0 buzzers, 0 staffers]
-Savannah* [1 team, 1 buzzers, 0 staffers]
-Priory [2 teams, 1 buzzers, 0 staffers]
-Arcadia Valley* [1 team, 1 buzzer, 0 staffers]
-Francis Howell [2 teams, 1 buzzer, 0 staffers]
-Washington [3 teams, 4 buzzers, at least 1 staffer].
-Notre Dame (Cape Girardeau) [1 team, 1 buzzer, 0 staffers]
-Ladue [3 teams, 1 buzzer, 1 staffer]
-Marquette [1 team, 0 buzzers, 0 staffers]
-Centralia* [1 team, 1 buzzer, 2 staffers]
-Parkview [1 team, 1 buzzer, 0 staffers]
-Clayton [2 teams, 1 buzzer, 1 staffer]
-St. Pius X [1 team, 1 buzzer, 2 staffers]
-Lutheran South [1 team, 2 buzzers, 1 staffer]

* Indicates a team eligible for the small school title.

Waitlist:
-CBC
-South Callaway
Last edited by Mickey0R0urke on Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:51 pm, edited 16 times in total.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

PACE has certified WUHSAC XXI as a platinum qualifier, which means the top 25% of teams (top 12 if the field fills) will receive bids to the 2019 NSC.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

The WUHSAC field has filled! I highly recommend that you still register for a spot on the waitlist, as it is entirely possible teams will drop in the two months between now and the tournament.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

If anyone wants to follow along from home (especially to see who is in championship contention after round eight), I highly recommend you join the Remind App classroom for this tournament. Text @wuhsacx to 81010 to receive texts when we send out messages.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Prelim stats are available here. The 8 teams still in championship contention are Ladue A, Webster Groves, Priory A, Coppell (TX), St. Joseph Central A, John Burroughs, Hallsville A and Ladue B.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Full wrap-up time! Full stats are available here.

Congratulations to Ladue A, who defeated St. Joseph Central A 410-115 in the second game of the advantage final to win the tournament! Hallsville A defeated Priory A 390-140 in their round 11 superplayoff game to take third place.

Some much-needed thank you. Thanks go out to: Charles Hang, Vishal Puppala, Erik Tomasic, Ben Siderowf, William Lu, Cameron Bleem, Nathan Card, Petey Kraemer, Hannah Manoj, Jonathan Mishory, Logan Page, Alex Huang, and Will Hella of WUSTL; WUSTL alums Lori Hattendorf, Jamie Doenges, and Ken Mitchell; Lance Finney, Mike Tolles, Tyler Schlichenmeyer, and Andy Walz; MOQBA members Kevin Stockman and Paul Nelson; Hallsville coach Scott Allen; Ladue coach Jonah Krueger; Centralia coaches Andrew Darr and Andrew Reynolds; Lutheran South coach Mary Aitken; Max Ryle of Mizzou; Louisiana coach Malia Jolly; Eureka coach Michael McDonald, and Washington coach David Dennis and his army of Washington scorekeepers (Grady Nuckolls, Avery Imhof, Caleb Dieckhaus, Adric Montgomery, Ada Montgomery, Lydia Bush, Zach Gargrave, Carter Hall, and Jaymie Thomason).

Finally, a big thank you to Jeff Hill, for helping me manage the schedule for this tournament as the snow kept changing the field. Finally, I thank all of the teams who braved the weather and made it out tonight. I hope you all enjoyed.

Take care, everyone. And I hope to see you all at some point down the road.