The members of South Shelby High School Campus Bowl are proud to serve as host of the 2019 South Shelby Winter INvitational (SS WIN), and invite your team to participate in our tournament at SSHS, scheduled for January 5th, 2019. This tournament will consist of a minimum of eight games for all teams in a modified NAQT/national format:
- Each game shall consist of two halves of ten tossups each, with each correct tossup followed by a three-part bonus.
- Correct tossup answers are ten points each, with an additional five-point “power” awarded for a correct answer given before a pre-determined point in the tossup.
- Unlike other NAQT/national tournaments, we will NOT assess a five-point penalty for interrupting the moderator during the tossup with an incorrect answer.
- Unless otherwise specified in a bonus set, each bonus part shall be ten points each. Incorrect bonus parts shall immediately rebound.
- MSHSAA timing rules shall apply with the following exceptions:
- Teams shall receive only five seconds to answer a bonus. Moderators will be instructed to prompt after four seconds.
- Math calculation tossups and bonus shall receive ten seconds instead of 15.
- In the event a game is tied after regulation, additional tossups shall be read until the next change in score.
- Each team shall have one 30-second timeout per half. Substitutions, scorechecks, and team conferences may occur at the half, prior to overtime, or during any timeout called by either team.
- Teams rosters shall be limited to seven players; schools are encouraged to bring junior varsity and “B” teams to compete. Teams may play with fewer than four players but must have at least two. Rosters shall be submitted in advance and finalized at registration the morning of the tournament. Players may not change teams during the tournament.
We have secured set IS-180A from NAQT, the provider of the questions for the MSHSAA district and state tournaments. This set is assigned to MOQBA’s other Winter Invitational hosts: Lakeland, Mountain Grove, Pilot Grove and Wentzville Holt, as well as tournaments at Lee’s Summit North and Marionville. If you have registered for any of these events, you will not be able to participate in SS WIN.
Teams will play five morning rounds, break for lunch, then return for at least three afternoon games. This setup is subject to change, depending on the number of teams signed up. We plan to start the team meeting at 8:30 a.m. in the Commons, with the first round set for 8:50 a.m. and afternoon rounds slated to begin at 1:15 p.m. With the exception of any playoff games for trophies, we anticipate the last game ending around 4 p.m. We are currently limiting the field to 18 teams. Additional teams will be placed on a waitlist and contacted should an opening occur.
Fee structure is as follows, per school:
- First team: $65
- Additional teams: $60
- Discount for travelling more than 100 miles each way (determined by Google Maps): $10
- Discount for providing a working buzzer set: $5 (maximum $10)
- Discount for providing competent staffer: $5 per staffer (maximum $10)
South Shelby High School is halfway between Clarence and Shelbina along (but not directly accessible from) the eastbound lanes of Highway 36. You will need to get off at the junction with Route FF, turn north then left onto South Shelby Drive. Because of the distance and limited lunch options in Clarence and Shelbina, we are again planning to offer a lunch and concession stand staffed by members of the South Shelby FFA.
The tournament is under the direction of South Shelby High School Coach Ann Neubauer and veteran scholar bowl moderator Kyle Hill of the Missouri Quizbowl Alliance. Assistance will be provided by other MOQBA members as well as community members
To register for this tournament, please visit http://tinyurl.com/2019SCR4WIN. Questions concerning the tournament may be directed to either Ann Neubauer at email@example.com or Kyle Hill at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “2019 SS WIN” in the subject line.
We look forward to seeing you at South Shelby High School on January 5th.