Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Truman Jan. 8tj

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
DavidH

Truman Jan. 8tj

Post by DavidH »

Truman is hosting another tournament this year on the 8th of January. Just wondered who all was going to be there. The questions I think are usually pyramidal. Anyway it would be another good one to make the cross-state trip for you St. Louis teams.

DavidH

Truman Jan. 8tj

Post by DavidH »

forgive the typo

LibertyMarie

Truman Jan. 8tj

Post by LibertyMarie »

Truman...bah. Last year our jv team didn't lose a game and still got second place...they had played much harder teams than the team that won...stupid round robin.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Truman Jan. 8tj

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

LibertyMarie wrote: Truman...bah. Last year our jv team didn't lose a game and still got second place...they had played much harder teams than the team that won...stupid round robin.
No, stupid Swiss-pairing. I don't think Luzader uses round-robin.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Truman Jan. 8tj

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Well, a lot of us know it as (swiss-paired) round-robin because of no single elimination in the afternoon. (But yes, round-robin is when you play everybody once). It's 5 rounds swiss paired, no single elimination part. We've done really well the past couple of years - we won the past two years, and our B team took 3rd two years ago.

JimmyL

Truman Jan. 8tj

Post by JimmyL »

when is the lexington tournament? That'll probably be the next and final KC tournament we go to (I think our coach is kind of worn out from having to arrange for 2 KC tournaments in 2 months).
Oh, and how is the lexington tournament structured, typically?

East Buc & UMR

Truman Jan. 8tj

Post by East Buc & UMR »

It is like MSHSAA rounds 15 in the 1st and 3rd and 10-10 in the 2nd and 4th. Good teams, great tournament. Usually 3rd or 4th week in March

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Truman Jan. 8tj

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

I think it's April 2, a very good tournament but unfortunately the darn thing lands on the end of Spring Break so we're not going... :angry:

L-Town Expatriate

Truman Jan. 8tj

ScoBo1987 wrote: I think it's April 2, a very good tournament but unfortunately the darn thing lands on the end of Spring Break so we're not going... :angry:
Beg to go... say it's like Cross Country running against West Plains during Labor Day weekend, or, uh, basketball playing at a legendary tournament over winter break!!

DavidH

Truman Jan. 8tj

Post by DavidH »

I may not be able to go to Lexington because of district choir contest... but Savannah will definitely be there. It all depends on the date of the contest.

LibertyMarie

Truman Jan. 8tj

Post by LibertyMarie »

Contest is April 9 in my district. Wow, that was helpful...

Spring break...haha

Jeffrey Hill

Truman Jan. 8tj

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Results:

1st - Liberty
2nd - Savannah
3rd - Blue Springs (I think)

JV
1st - Savannah
2nd - Oak Park
(Don't remember 3rd)

It was 15 tossup, 10 tossup/bonus, lightning round (with 50 point sweeping bonus :blink:), and 15 tossup.

We played Savannah in the final round and were ahead by just over 100 near the middle of the bonus round; by the end they had pulled to 50. After the lightning round I think we were up by 30. We ended up winning by 20. Lots of stupid jumps by both us and Savannah, so it could have ended completely differently (we could have won by almost 100, or Savannah could have as well). We're both rusty from a long break.

If I have my schedule correct, I don't think we will play Savannah in another buzzer contest this year. They won't be at Quads (as far as I know), they don't play in their own tournament, and I don't think we will be at Lexington because of Spring Break. (Unless we end up going to Platte County, but I think that is unlikely). We will probably see them on the Friday of Maple Woods.

L-Town Expatriate

Truman Jan. 8tj

Quads matches are exclusively for the four Suburban Conferences.

JimmyL

Truman Jan. 8tj

Post by JimmyL »

hey congrats on beating savannah jeff

hmm...just wondering, was david there?

DavidH

Truman Jan. 8tj

Post by DavidH »

Yea I was there.

Jeffrey Hill

Truman Jan. 8tj

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

I think that red/blue egg probability question in the last game was poorly written. A couple of key words were missing, causing me to interpret it differently.

LibertyMarie

Truman Jan. 8tj

Post by LibertyMarie »

I thought it meant how many eggs that are blue and have a pearl or whatever...but then again I wasn't REALLY paying attention lol

yeah, a strange question.

East Buc & UMR

Truman Jan. 8tj

Post by East Buc & UMR »

i hear you had quite the night Marie

L-Town Expatriate

Truman Jan. 8tj

Marie, we might have to start calling you Mata Hari, or possibly Tokyo Rose.

And Jeff: you must absolutely positively implore Camp, Butler, etc. to permit participation at Lexington. Since Truman wasn't MSHSAA format, does that mean no tournament play this year with that format? That might cause a disadvantage come Districts.

LibertyMarie

Truman Jan. 8tj

Post by LibertyMarie »

hear you had quite the night Marie
how on earth did you find out about that?!
Marie, we might have to start calling you Mata Hari, or possibly Tokyo Rose.
you oughta hear what some of my teammates *cough* Michael *cough* think of me in that regard...ha
And Jeff: you must absolutely positively implore Camp, Butler, etc. to permit participation at Lexington.
Bethany, Caitlin, and I will all be gone during Spring Break for sure. Well, for pretty sure. And that's like half our team lol...

East Buc & UMR

Truman Jan. 8tj

Post by East Buc & UMR »

LibertyMarie

Truman Jan. 8tj

Post by LibertyMarie »

I didn't know you read that, although that was my guess as to how you knew lol

East Buc & UMR

Truman Jan. 8tj

Post by East Buc & UMR »

Well in a freak occurrence when you got online sunday I was bored check your profile and went to there. And was treated to a good story

LibertyMarie

Truman Jan. 8tj

Post by LibertyMarie »

well I'm glad you enjoyed it

L-Town Expatriate

Truman Jan. 8tj

LibertyMarie wrote:
And Jeff: you must absolutely positively implore Camp, Butler, etc. to permit participation at Lexington.
Bethany, Caitlin, and I will all be gone during Spring Break for sure. Well, for pretty sure. And that's like half our team lol...
Meh. That hasn't stopped Liberty before. Two-thirds of the team wasn't present at Savannah in '03 due to an ACS scholarship test and our hosting the STUCO State Convention. Naturally I was at the latter.

I'm certain Vini, Michael, Ryan, and Jeff can hold the fort down and maybe cause that cannonball to roll onto the new Ike Skelton Bridge.