Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Houston MS Invitational Feb. 10

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
Mr. Pounds

Houston MS Invitational Feb. 10

Post by Mr. Pounds »

I am pleased to announce that Houston will be hosting a middle school quiz bowl tournament on Saturday, February 10, 2018. Tentatively, the tournament's field will be capped at 12 teams; we will consider raising the field cap if we have enough staff and space. All students in grades 7 and 8 enrolled in a MSHSAA member school or affiliate school are eligible. Teams are limited to eight players, although teams of six or fewer are encouraged to maximize each student's playing time. Schools may bring multiple teams. Each game consists of twenty tossups and up to twenty three-part, thirty point rebounding bonuses. we will consider raising the field cap if we have enough staff and space. If you're interested in staffing in exchange for a discount or have students in different grade levels who are not playing in this tournament and are interested in helping out, please let me know!

The tournament will use NAQT's MS-25 question set. If you plan to attend this tournament, please do not attend any other tournaments using MS-25. As of now, the Tri-County (North), Ozark 7, and Highway 275 conference tournaments will be using MS-25, as well as invitational tournament at Washington.

Entry fees are as follows:

First team from each school: $60
Second and subsequent teams from each school: $55
Providing a fully functioning buzzer system: -$5 per system
Travel discount (at least 100 miles each way): -$10 per team
Providing a trained scorekeeper: $-5 per scorekeeper (if needed)
Providing an experienced moderator: negotiated on an individual basis

All teams in both divisions will play at least eight games regardless of performance; the exact format of the tournament will be decided once the field is set. Teams are expected to stay for the duration of the tournament so we can offer all teams their guaranteed number of games.

At this time, we have filled our initial 12 teams. If there is more interest we could expand, but I have not heard from many teams so far. The teams we have entered so far are:

Richland MS
Fairview MS
Mountain Grove MS
Hartville Jr. High
Summersville MS
Houston MS
Clever
Gainesville
Willard

If interested, email me @ jpounds@houston.k12.mo.us and I will put you on the waitlist!