Congratulations to the state champions!
Congratulations to Exeter in Class 1, College Heights Christian in Class 2, John Burroughs in Class 3, and Ladue in Class 4!MSHSAA State results/all-state teams • State discussion thread
CIS A ties for 13th, the best finish ever by a Missouri team at Middle School Nationals! • Free packets for study/practice
Washington Middle School will be hosting the Washington Invitational for Middle School and Elementary Youths (WIMSEY III) on February 24th, 2018.
For the Middle School and Elementary Divisions, we will use question set MS-25 from National Academic Quiz Tournaments (NAQT). You can find free sample questions at http://www.naqt.com.
Middle School will play in the 20/20 format of tossups and 3-part non-rebounding bonuses. There will be powers for early correct answers, but no penalties for incorrect answers.
We are currently capping the Middle School division at 24 teams. The field(s) can expand if there is significantly more interest and staff. In the interest of maximizing the number of schools registered, only the first 2 teams from a school will enter the field, and any remaining teams will go onto the waitlist. We are also capping rosters at 7 players per team.
The Elementary division will run on the a slightly modified set and the same rules as the Middle School Division, but games will be shortened to 16 tossup cycles and bonuses will rebound. We are capping the Elementary field at 12 teams. Again, only a school’s first 2 teams will be placed in the field, then any other teams will be on the waitlist. Again, rosters are capped at 7 per team.
- $70 for the first Middle School team for a school, $65 for each additional Middle School team. (B, etc.)
- $60 for the first Elementary team for a school, $55 for each additional Elementary team.
- Fully functional buzzer systems are a $5 discount.
- Providing an experienced moderator (reader) is a $15 discount. Please let us know about these well in advance. We reserve the right to refuse this discount.
- With the large number of divisions and teams, at this point most moderators will be working without a scorekeeper. Providing a scorekeeper who can work a room the whole day is a $5 discount.
- Teams traveling over 100 miles (one way per Google Maps) will receive a $5 discount.
Registration will begin at 8:30, the first matches will take place at 9:00 AM, and there will be a lunch break around 12 PM. There will be a concession stand (popcorn, candy, and sodas) open during the day. There are several options for lunch in town.
Spots will be filled on a first come/first served basis. Please use this form to register.
You are not registered until you receive a confirmation email from the tournament director. If interest and staffing permits, we will lift the cap to as high as we can accommodate. Again, please let us know about buzzers and moderators as early as possible.
The top 2 teams in each division will receive a trophy. There are prizes (books and medals) for the top 10 individual scorers in each division.
Our school’s address is 401 E 14th St., Washington, MO 63090.
- If you come by I-44, Washington is exit #251 on route 100 – turn right at the 100/47 intersection, and then take a left to the middle school at the 2nd stoplight.
- If you come by I-70, take exit 203 (State Hwy T) follow that for about 15 miles, turn left on 47, cross the bridge into town, and take a right to the middle school at the 5th stoplight.
Bolded teams have confirmed attendance by sending rosters
Pilot Grove A
Pilot Grove B
Middle School Waitlist
Elementary Field (18/18)
Pilot Grove A
Pilot Grove B
Pilot Grove C
Pilot Grove D
Washington - 6
Lange - 2
Sunrise - 2
Union - 2
Sullivan - 2
Tuscumbia - 2
Pilot Grove -2
CIS - 2
CIS - 2
In the Middle School Division, STL Patriots and Washington A both went 2-1 in the last bracket, forcing a final game 10, which Washington A won 470-215. CIS B and CIS A both were 1-2 in the final bracket, and CIS B took 3rd place based on points scored.
You can find the stats here.
Thanks to Sean Phillips, Matt Chadbourne, Carrie Derner, Ryan Hill, Jonathan Amlong, Matt Chalem, Alan Whittington, Pete Bush, Kevin Stockman, Audrey Bush, Lisa Sparrow, Jason Loy, Josh German, Catalina Kersten, James Collier, Melanie Bush, Lori Lockwood, Jane Murfett Steven McClary, Matthew Robinson, Lisa McClary, Marcie Lampe, Kathy Brandon, Max Grimes, Alleys Peanick, Jeremy Robey, Kaleb Burr, Katlynn and John Miller, Angel and Phil Young, Rachel Tinsley, Evan Courtaway, Dustin Bax, Ciara, Lisa Britt, Harsh Patel, Caleb Martonfi, Michael Lampe, Orchard Farm and Sunrise's scorekeepers.
Thank you so much for your time, but especially to Jacob O'Rourke for running the Elementary event, and to Sam Lockwood for taking over the stats job in the Middle School.