Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Tuscumbia Fall Elementary & Middle School Tournament

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
tstockwell

Tuscumbia Fall Elementary & Middle School Tournament

Post by tstockwell »

Hello coaches,

I am pleased to announce that Tuscumbia High School will be hosting an academic tournament for students in the 8th grade and below on Saturday, November 4, 2017. We will be running two divisions, one for 7th/8th grade teams from MSHSAA member (and affiliate member) schools, and the other for students in the 6th grade and under regardless of school affiliation or non-affiliation. The hard cap on team size is eight players; we request that you limit teams to six players so as to maximize playing time for all students. As of now, the field caps will be set at 18 teams for the 7th/8th grade MSHSAA division and 12 teams for the 6th grade and under division. We will consider expanding the cap given sufficient interest and sufficient staff.

This tournament will tentatively use NAQT's MS-23 question set for all divisions. If you attend this tournament, you may not attend tournaments hosted at Sunrise or Sarcoxie as they're using the same set. Games in both 7th/8th grade divisions will consist of twenty ten-point tossups (with the possibility of fifteen for an early correct answer) and up to twenty three-part, thirty-point rebounding bonuses. Games in the 6th grade and under division will consist of sixteen ten-point tossups (with the possibility of fifteen for an early correct answer) and up to sixteen three-part, thirty point rebounding bonuses. I will slightly modify the questions for the 6th and under division to make them more accessible for younger players. All teams will be guaranteed at least seven matches regardless of performance.

Entry fees are as follows:

base fee (first team from each school): $60
second or subsequent teams: $55
travel discount (100 miles or more one way): -$5 per team
buzzer discount (as needed, and must work for eight players; limit four discounts per school): -$5
scorekeeper discount (must be trained; first come, first serve): -$5
moderator discount (must be experienced; first come, first serve): negotiated on an individual basis

To register, or if you have any questions whatsoever, please email me at tstockwell@tuscumbialions.k12.mo.us. I hope to see you in November!