Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Nov 18- Clever Invitational

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
Reklaw

Nov 18- Clever Invitational

Post by Reklaw »

Coaches,

Clever HS will be hosting its 3rd annual Clever High School Invitational Scholar Bowl tournament on November 18, 2017. The tournament will be in the 20 Tossup/20 Bonus format, with bounce backs on bonuses. At this time, we will NOT be using “Powers” or “Negs.” I will determine tournament format when we are closer to the tournament and have a final team count.

We will use question set IS-168 from National Academic Quiz Tournaments (NAQT). This set is (at the time of posting) being used by Eureka and Smithville as well. You can find free sample questions at http://www.naqt.com.

We are currently capping the field at 16 teams. The field can expand if there is more interest and more importantly staff. Last year there was interest, but staffing was what kept us from expanding.

Prices are:
- $65 for the first team from a school, $60 for each additional team.
- Fully functional buzzer systems are a $5 discount (must work for 8 players, limit 2 discounts per team). Preference given to those whose systems require the moderator to reset buzzers.
- Providing an experienced moderator (reader) is a $15 discount. Please let us know about these well in advance. We reserve the right to refuse moderators .
- Teams traveling over 100 miles (one way per Google Maps) will receive a $5 discount.
-$45 minimum per team.

Matches will begin at 9:00 AM, and there will be a lunch break around 12:00-12:30 PM. Lunch options are mostly in neighboring towns (10 minute drive at least). After last year’s success, I'm thinking we will grill up hamburgers and hot dogs again but this could change as I get my team, volunteers, and parents established. I will get concession pricing together before this time or notify you of changes well in advance. I don't plan on the tournament going any later than 5:00 PM.

Spots will be filled on a first come/first served basis. Rather than emailing me, please use this form to register.

https://goo.gl/csJRaS

Please understand that, until I confirm with you via email, your team(s) are not registered. I will create a waiting list if this tournament fills up. Those who can provide experienced staffers could gain priority over those just bringing teams on the waiting list.

I plan on awarding trophy/plaques to the top 3 teams, and individual medals for the top 10 scorers of the morning sessions. Currently, this is scheduled at the High School off of Mo-14. Feel free to email me with any questions at walkers@cleverbluejays.org(Note the new email! The old one is defunct).

On a side note, if you are hosting a tournament we would gladly like information as we are looking to fill our season as well.

Reklaw

Re: Nov 18- Clever Invitational

Post by Reklaw »

Current Field 18/18:

Clever
Mountain Grove
Houston x2
Kickapoo x2
Exeter x2
Weableau x2
College Heights x3
Richland
Sparta
Purdy
Conway x2

Waiting List:

Conway C
Last edited by Reklaw on Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:20 am, edited 3 times in total.

Reklaw

Post by Reklaw »

The field is now full. I will be starting a waiting list. As I begin to get my help together, I will consider expanding the field.

knowbody

Post by knowbody »

I need to cancel Lakeland for the Nov 16 Tournament. The band has scheduled to march in a parade that day, taking 4 of my 5 Varsity members.
Thnaks,
Ted Hall.

Reklaw

Post by Reklaw »

Cancelled. Thanks for the early notification coach! Field updated.

Reklaw

Post by Reklaw »

We have qualified for PACE Gold, meaning the top 20% of teams at our tournament will qualify for the national tournament on June 2-3.

Reklaw

Post by Reklaw »

I will hopefully have full stats for this later today. I left school that Saturday and haven't returned until today to reconcile the tournament.

1st- College Heights A
2nd- Kickapoo A
3rd- ConwayA
4th- Clever A

I will update this with the full stats when I have that, the billing, deposits, and everything else entered...

Reklaw

Post by Reklaw »

First, Thanks to everyone who came out and helped. I had about 1/2 of my staff from inside my district, but also had Coaches Pisianti from Exeter, Pounds and Kelley from Houston, and Reed from Purdy who read all day and helped keep pace going in their rooms admirably.

Second, I forgot to separate SQBS files when recording. It has been a long year, and I realized my error about 1/2 way through round 7....so I manually figured the remaining places as redoing the entire SQBS files for both would have taken too long. Below are the final standings as well as full detail results. Note the full detail doesn't accurately describe places as it doesn't account for new divisions in the afternoon. In the event of ties, the team that won the match between the tied teams is declared the victor. In trophy places, an advantaged final could have been used, but was not as Clever conceded third place to Conway as they had the advantage.

Final Places

https://docs.google.com/a/clever.k12.mo ... sp=sharing

Detailed Statistics

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... all_games/

Thanks again to all involved and I'll see you all next year!

mpisanti

Post by mpisanti »

It was a pleasure helping out with the tournament!

I'm also very proud of how Exeter's teams did. We really only had 2 or 3 games get out of reach, and 2 of our afternoon losses were within 100 points (very winnable with a few more questions) on the A team. The B team felt good about getting some points and is eager to build on that so that's a success, too.