Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Sunrise (DeSoto) Middle School - 11/4/17

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
dwd50

Sunrise (DeSoto) Middle School - 11/4/17

Post by dwd50 »

Posted on behalf of Sunrise Coach Kevin Crowder

Team reservation form

Greetings!

This year, Sunrise Middle School will be hosting our first Middle School Quiz Bowl Invitational for 7th and 8th grade mixed teams. Currently, the field is set at 18 teams and we have 8 of those filled. If we expand the field to 24, I will let you know.

The tournament will use the N.A.Q.T. MS-23 question set. Games consist of twenty tossups worth ten points each followed by non-rebounding bonuses worth up to thirty points. Tossups will feature "powers" (additional points awarded for correct buzzes very early in the question) but no penalty for an incorrect early buzz (no negs).

It is important that each school participating register their program with MSHSAA. The fee is minimal, and your A.D. can do this easily, especially if your H.S. is already signed up. Please do not hesitate to contact me with any questions you may have. I am happy to have the help this year of David Dennis of Washington School District, one of the premier academic coaches in Missouri, and a member of the Missouri Quiz Bowl Alliance--a group dedicated to the advancement of high quality Quiz Bowl in Missouri.

Note: there are no food establishments near Sunrise. A full-service concession stand will be available, including pizza by the slice. An order form for full pizzas from Domino's will be sent out in October for delivery. (delivery service is not available for call ins. We will make the delivery for you and bill your account.)

I hope each of you are excited about another year of Quiz Bowl. Have a wonderful year!

Fee Schedule:
1 team: $65.00
2 Teams: $60.00 each
3-4 teams: $55.00 each
Reader/Moderator: $10.00 discount
Working Buzzer System: $5.00 discount
Travel Discount (100 miles or more): $10.00 discount

dwd50

Re: Sunrise (DeSoto) Middle School - 11/4/17

Post by dwd50 »

Teams (12/12)
Sunrise A
Sunrise B
Sunrise C
Washington A
Washington B
Washington C
Washington D
STL Patriots
St. Clair
Sullivan A
Sullivan B
Sullivan C

Elementary Division (6/6)
Sunrise A
Sunrise B
Sunrise C
Sullivan A
Sullivan B
STL Patriots

Staff (4-7/9)
Washington - 2 (maybe)
Sunrise - 4 or 5
Sullivan

Buzzers (5/9)
Washington - 4
Sunrise
Sullivan
Last edited by dwd50 on Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

We've taken the 6 spots remaining under the initial cap of 18 and created an elementary division.

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

Middle School is currently in the 2nd game of a final between Washington A and STL Patriots.

Washington B, Sullivan A, Washington D and Washington C round out the top 6.

Elementary is currently finishing the last round, with Sullivan A leading at 9-0.

Stats are here.

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

I'll have final stats up later, but Washington A took game 2 of the final 390-210. Sullivan A Elementary went 10-0 for their title.

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

OK - now that I'm not on the bus, I'd like to thank the staff of this event:

Thanks to coach Kevin Crowder for all his hard work in getting this going.

Thanks to De Soto coach Jennifer Kidwell and the small army she brought along - Megan Smith, Ilene Mehler, Maria Williams, Marybeth Sansoucie, Colby Henry, Mackenzie Brown, Kayla Cunningham, Sami Gowan, Morgan Fraser, Luke Sargent, Jon Gowan, Allyssa Peanick

Thanks to Sunrise board member Sue Dennis

Thanks to Washington HS Students James Collier and Ryan Hill

Thanks to ECC's Jeremy Robey,

And lastly, thanks to Francis Howell's Ganon Evans, who drove all the way down there by himself just to read for 7th and 8th graders and support the game.