2017 OMAR - April 1st at Moberly HS
On behalf of the members of Moberly High School Scholar Bowl, I am pleased to invite Missouri teams to the Outstate Missouri Academic Rendezvous (OMAR), scheduled for April 1st, 2017 at Moberly High School. This tournament will consist of a minimum of eight games for all teams in a modified NAQT/national format:
- Each game shall consist of two halves of ten tossups each, with each correct tossup followed by a three-part bonus.
- Correct tossup answers are ten points each, with an additional five-point “power” awarded for a correct answer given before a pre-determined point in the tossup.
- Unlike other NAQT/national tournaments, we will NOT assess a five-point penalty for interrupting the moderator during the tossup with an incorrect answer.
- Unless otherwise specified in a bonus set, each bonus part shall be ten points each. Incorrect bonus parts shall immediately rebound.
- MSHSAA timing rules shall apply with the following exceptions:
- Teams shall receive only five seconds to answer a bonus. Moderators will be instructed to prompt after four seconds.
- Math calculation tossups and bonus shall receive ten seconds instead of 15.
- In the event a game is tied after regulation, additional tossups shall be read until the next change in score.
- Each team shall have one 60-second and one-30 second timeout per game. Teams may substitute at the half, prior to overtime, or during any timeout called by either team. However, coaches may not confer with their players during a 30-second timeout.
- Teams rosters shall be limited to seven players; schools are encouraged to bring junior varsity and “B” teams to compete. Teams may play with fewer than four players. Rosters shall be submitted in advance and finalized at registration the morning of the tournament. Players may not change teams during the tournament.
We have secured set IS-163A from NAQT
, the provider of the questions for the MSHSAA district and state tournaments. As of March 1st, this set is assigned to Chadwick's "SoMo Battle of the Brains", Houston, Maryville’s Spoofhound Classic, Neosho and Rock Bridge. If you have registered for any of these events, you will not be able to participate in OMAR.
After a popular response last year, we will again have two divisions of play, with teams sorted by their experience and exposure to the 20/20 format dating back to last year’s iteration. As a result, we have removed roster restrictions for this year, and anticipate being a qualifier for the SSNCT in Chicago, HSNCT in Atlanta, and PACE NSC in Chicago.
Teams will play five morning rounds, break for lunch, then return for three afternoon games. This setup is subject to change, depending on the number of teams signed up. We plan to start the team meeting at 8:30 a.m. in the Cafenasium, with the first round set for at 8:50 a.m. and afternoon rounds slated to begin at 1:30 p.m. With the exception of any playoff games for trophies, we anticipate the last game ending around 4 p.m. We are currently limiting the field to 24 teams. Additional teams will be placed on a waitlist and contacted should an opening occur.
Fee structure is as follows, per school:
- First team: $65
- Additional teams: $60
- Discount for travelling more than 100 miles each way (determined by Google Maps): $10
- Discount for providing a working buzzer set: $5 (maximum $10)
- Discount for providing competent staff: $5 per staffer (maximum $10)
- All discounts are subject to the discretion of tournament officials.
Additionally, we are offering a $10 discount (again per school) if you have a team participate in our novice tournament MYST, which is scheduled for November 5th at Moberly Middle School. If you would like to also participate in MYST, please review the tournament announcement in this forum
Moberly High School is located at 1625 Gratz Brown Road, best accessed by taking Highway 63 to the Route M (Middle Grove) exit, then turning west into town about a half mile before turning right onto Gratz Brown Road. The high school will be on your left. Most lunch options will be on North Morley/Business 63.
The tournament is under the direction of Moberly High School Coach Kathy Brandon and veteran scholar bowl moderator Kyle Hill of the Missouri Quizbowl Alliance, an organization dedicated to promoting quality scholar bowl tournaments around the state. Again we anticipate receiving certification and assistance from their membership.
To register for this tournament, please visit http://tinyurl.com/RegisterFor2017OMAR
. Questions concerning the tournament may be directed to either Kathy Brandon at KathyBrandon@MoberlySpartans.org
or Kyle Hill email@example.com
. Please include “OMAR 2017” in the subject line.
We look forward to seeing you at Moberly High School on April 1st.