Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Tiger Bowl @ Mizzou - Feb. 11, 2017

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
khrum

Tiger Bowl @ Mizzou - Feb. 11, 2017

Post by khrum »

Greetings, coaches!

I'm pleased to announce the eighth iteration of Tiger Bowl to be hosted by the University of Missouri Quizbowl Club in sunny Columbia, Missouri. The tournament will run on the 11th of February in either the A&S Building or Strickland - this will be confirmed within the week. We will be using POMMSS, a regular difficulty set, for this tournament. This tournament will abide by all required MSHSAA rules, and will use modified PACE rules for scoring (20 tossups with 30 point non-rebounding bonuses, and tossups will have no point penalties for an early buzz that is incorrect, and powers, or an extra 10 points for a correct early buzz.) All teams attending can expect to play at least 10 rounds, with more for teams expecting to be competitive in the playoffs.

We will be giving out trophies to the top 4 attending teams. Additionally, if at least four small school teams register, we will award a small school trophy.

This tournament will be using a rule where each team can have a maximum of 6 players. If you have more than that, do not feel hesitant signing up an extra team so that every player gets more opportunities to participate in games.

The field will be capped at 24 teams. Spaces will be allotted on a first-come, first-serve basis. We will form a waitlist, and if teams drop, we will proceed down the list in order. If the field fills, then we will be able to guarantee you a 10 game schedule, which we are very excited to offer your team to allow them to get increased early season playing time. We hope to expand the field to 32, or even 36, teams if we can meet our staffing needs.

Field:

Waitlist:

Fee Structure:

Fee per attending team: $70
Buzzer system discount*: -$5 per system per team, up to $15 off.
Staffer discounts: -$5 per team that brings a scorekeeper, and -$15 for each experienced moderator a team brings. This can be a coach, parent, or any other person attending who isn’t playing. We will provide the scorekeeper with a lunch. For both the staff discounts, we need to know about your plans to bring staff before the tournament, and we reserve the right to not take you up on your staff and their discount.

Registering:

To register, please contact us at seanqb1982@gmail.com with your school's name, the number of teams you'd like to register, the number of buzzers/staffers you can provide for a discount, as well as a contact phone number.

We hope to see you on February 11th in Columbia for an excellent tournament! If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to contact us.

khrum

Re: Tiger Bowl @ Mizzou - Feb. 11, 2017

Post by khrum »

The first post has been updated with information about Tiger Bowl. We hope to see you all there!

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Field (17-18/24 as of 2/7/17)
Washington (3 teams, 1 + staff, X buzzers)
Centralia (ss) (2 teams, 1 staff, 1 buzzer)
Cuba (ss) (2 teams, 2 buzzers)
Hickman (2 teams, 2 buzzers, 2 staff)
Moberly (1 team)
Sullivan (ss) (1 team, 1 buzzer)
Calvary Lutheran (2 teams, 1 buzzer)
Helias (1-2 teams, 2 buzzers)
Ladue (2 teams, 1 buzzer, 1 staff?)
Savannah (1 team, 1 buzzer)

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

I've been forgetting to post this but this event is MSHSAA approved!

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Washington A has cleared the field with a perfect 9-0 record! Ladue A and Helias are playing for second. Small school finals (700 kids from a public school grades 10-12) are ongoing between Savannah and Moberly!

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Ladue wins second and Savannah is our top small school!

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... all_games/

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Leaving Como for Stl. I'm so happy for our champions, Washington HS' A and our runners up Ladue A and third place Helias! I'm also happy for our small school champions Savannah!

I'd like to thank all the people who made this day such a success: my co director Itamar Naveh-Benjamin, Alexander Harmata, Diana Harmata, James Dolezal, Greg Irwin, Ryan Kennedy, Jonah Krueger, Ginger Luetkemeyer, Angel Young, the kids from Rock Bridge, Thomas Zhou, and the incomparable Jacob Bryce O'Rourke who has been keeping me sane as I do these events here recently. Doing 9 rounds by 3:30 and done by 4ish with all playoffs is no small feat and you made it all look so easy, thank you so much!

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Sorry for the lateness but PACE has platinum certified us meaning the top 25% of the field get bids to NSC.