Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

WUHSAC XIX (BHSAT MIRROR) FEBRUARY 18, 2017

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
scphilli

WUHSAC XIX (BHSAT MIRROR) FEBRUARY 18, 2017

Post by scphilli »

The Washington University Academic Team is excited to announce the nineteenth annual WUHSAC, to be held at Washington University in St. Louis on Saturday, February 18th, 2017. This is as in the previous three years, President's Day Weekend, which (weather permitting) is an ideal way to use the holiday by seeing our campus and the city of St. Louis!

I'm Sean Phillips, and I'll serve as tournament director for this year's tournament. The set is once again a mirror of Yale's BHSAT event. We are looking forward to a tournament that will (hopefully) be bigger and better than ever!

To sign your team up for WUHSAC XIX, please e-mail me at seanqb1982@gmail.com. For those of you who have my hotmail address please do NOT use that. It is in the interest of a smooth registration that I have everything centrally located and timestamped and therefore would greatly appreciate if in lieu of responses here being accepted as registrations, you simply email this gmail account with a note in the memo line. Teams will be signed up on a first-come, first-served basis. The field will be updated in this thread as registrations are received. If the field fills up before you can sign up, please allow us to waitlist you as well; in such a large field there is an appreciable chance that one or more teams will cancel. I will be setting the initial cap at the same field we had last year which was 48 teams.

WUHSAC's general rules will be similar to last year.

Rules
•20 tossups and bonuses per game
•no computational math
•no negs
•20 point powers
•NO bouncebacks on bonuses.

Format
•48-team field with the possibility that this might expand
•Bracketed round robin prelims
•Re-bracketed round robin playoffs
•four-team superplayoffs and final if needed

Fees for the tournament will be as follows:
•$10 per school plus $65 per team
•-$5 per fully functional (eight-player) buzzer, up to $15 off per school
•-$15 per experienced staff volunteer

Information regarding the set distribution for BHSAT can be found at this link: http://www.hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewto ... 09&t=18754

I'd like to ask everyone interested in staffing the tournament to let me know well in advance of the tournament, by e-mailing me at seanqb1982@gmail.com or replying here. This will include both those volunteering on behalf of a school and others. Keeping track of staff for a tournament of this size will be almost as big a deal as keeping track of the field in preparation for the event. Thank you very much for your help!

As in previous years, we expect that some number of top-finishing teams at WUHSAC XIX will be invited to this year's PACE National Scholastics Championship, also to be held at the Hyatt Regency O'Hare in Chicago, IL, on June 10-11, 2017. The last four years, the top 25% of our field has qualified for the NSC. WUHSAC will provide a useful opportunity for teams and staffers to visit and become familiar with a format similar to that of NSC beforehand (albeit NSC uses bouncebacks). A link to the 2016 NSC can be found here: http://www.pace-nsc.org/2016-pace-nsc/

As with last year, powers will be used on tossups and they will be TWENTY points in value. In addition there will be a separate award for the top small school at the event, using the PACE NSC definition of small school as well as an award if 4 or more teams qualify for the top JV team per the PACE definition. The definitions are as follows per the 2015 NSC:

"A JV team consists of players in 10th grade or below. Middle school teams count as JV teams.

A “small school” is a school with fewer than 700 students in 10th through 12th grades that is a public school and has a non-selective admission policy (non-selective is not the same as non-magnet; schools from systems where every school is a specialized center and students may choose to attend any are eligible)."

If you have any further questions, please e-mail me or reply here. We look forward to you all attending WUHSAC XIX!

Sincerely,

Sean Phillips
Tournament Director, WUHSAC XIX
Alumni Advisor, Washington University Academic Team

scphilli

Re: WUHSAC XIX (BHSAT MIRROR) FEBRUARY 18, 2017

Post by scphilli »

Field (42/48 as of 2/16/17)

Tuscumbia (ss) (1 team, 3 buzzers, 1 moderator)
Orchard Farm (ss) (2 teams, 1 buzzer, 1 moderator)
Northwest (1 team)
Clayton (2 teams)
Washington (3 teams, 5+ buzzers, 3+ staff)
Hannibal (3 teams)
DeSmet Jesuit (1 team)
Oakville (1 team, 1 buzzer, 1 staff)
Parkway Central (1 team)
Eureka (1 team, 1 buzzer)
Priory (1 team)
CBC (1 team)
Helias (2 teams, 2 buzzers)
Hallsville (ss) (2 teams, 1 buzzer, 1+ staff)
Sullivan (ss) (1 team, 1 buzzer)
Thomas Jefferson Independent (3 teams, 1 buzzer)
Christian (1 team, 1 buzzer)
MICDS (1 team)
Louisiana (ss) (2 teams, 1 buzzer)
Marquette (1 team)
Savannah (ss) (1 team)
Kickapoo (3 teams)
Francis Howell (1 team)
Pilot Grove (ss) (1 team, 1 buzzer)
Ladue (3 teams)
Lutheran St. Charles (2 team, 1 buzzer, 1 staff)
Last edited by scphilli on Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:47 am, edited 32 times in total.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

We are currently 1/3 full! Still plenty of space and time!

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Half full! Thanks for the interest and keep it coming!

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Now over 2/3 full! Thanks to all who have registered thus far and I'm looking forward to it!

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

3/4 full! Still plenty of time for the remaining spots!

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

I'd like to welcome our first out of state entry, Strake Jesuit of Houston, Texas, into the field! Ten spots remaining!

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Updates have been made to the field since the holiday season. Still a few spots left!

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Edit because Sean clearly needed his caffeine this morning.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

I've been forgetting to post this but this event is MSHSAA approved!

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

The first thanks goes to the amazing staff for donating yesterday and making it to where we could even have a day that was a long afternoon. A good director is as good as his or her staff and mine really worked themselves down especially those dealing with the technical issues or protests that slowed us down yesterday afternoon. I'm glad to have worked with such a fine crew of people who know how to make it work and how to appreciate such wonderful kids.

The joy that sustains me after 17 of the 19 of these is the sheer majesty of seeing such wonderful smart kids at work and you should all be so proud of them. I wish I had a plaque for all of you but we don't charge quite that much. But know if you won the event or didn't win a game, my respect for you remains undimmed because we need young people pursuing the best of themselves in academics.

Stats are here:
http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/4244/

Congrats to MICDS our champions over Ladue A! Washington A was third and Helias A fourth. Hallsville A was our small school champion!

If you didn't get an invoice please let me know and I'll try to fix that. If you staffed yesterday I could nominate you for sainthood because thank you. If you just played I could probably do the same. Yesterday I didn't get the nice buildings and I've just gotten used to life not giving me nice things. This event is my nice thing every year and I thank all of you for sharing that with me. Until next year and WUHSAC 20!

Sincerely,

Sean Phillips

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Combined stats are up.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Sorry for the lateness but PACE has platinum certified us meaning the top 25% of the field get bids to NSC.