Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Missouri Fall Academic Tournament @ Mizzou - Oct. 22, 2016

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
khrum

Missouri Fall Academic Tournament @ Mizzou - Oct. 22, 2016

Post by khrum »

Hello Coaches,

The University of Missouri Quizbowl Club is pleased to announce that we are planning on hosting our ninth annual Missouri Fall Academic Tournament on October 22nd, 2016. Sean Philips has graciously volunteered his time and will help us co-direct this year's tournament.

This tournament will be run using NAQT's Invitational Series set #160.

We will be giving out trophies to the top 3 teams, and if we have a large enough field of small schools, we will also give out an award to the top placing small school team. We will be using NAQT's definition of a small school, which is any non-selective public school with 500 or fewer students in grades 10-12.

This tournament will be using a rule where each team can have a maximum of 6 players. If you have more than that, do not feel hesitant signing up an extra team so that every player gets more opportunities to participate in games.

The field will be capped at 24 teams. Spaces will be allotted on a first-come, first-serve basis. We will form a waitlist, and if teams drop, we will proceed down the list in order. If the field fills, then we will be able to guarantee you a 10 game schedule, which we are very excited to offer your team to allow them to get increased early season playing time. Also, if we fill the field, then the top 6 teams and possibly the top small school will qualify for the 2017 NAQT High School National Championship. Additionally, the top teams will qualify for the 2017 PACE National Scholastics Championship.

We hope to expand the field, but we're setting a 24 team cap until we're sure we have enough staff to host a larger event.

Field (0/24):

Fee Structure:

Fee per team: $70
Buzzer system discount*: -$5 per system per team, up to $20 off.
Staffer discounts: -$5 per team that brings a scorekeeper, and -$15 for each experienced moderator a team brings. This can be a coach, parent, or any other person attending who isn’t playing. We will provide the scorekeeper with a lunch. For both the staff discounts, we need to know about your plans to bring staff before the tournament, and we reserve the right to not take you up on your staff and their discount.

Registering:

To register your team, please contact Sean at seanqb1982@gmail.com with your school name, along with the number of teams, buzzers, and staffers you plan on bringing. Registration will be on a first-come, first-serve basis. We will email all of the coaches to ask for rosters around a month before the tournament.

We hope to see you on October 22nd for what should be an excellent tournament! If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact me at mizzouquizbowl@gmail.com or Sean at seanqb1982@gmail.com.

Itamar Naveh-Benjamin
2016 MFAT Tournament Co-Director
Last edited by khrum on Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scphilli

Re: Missouri Fall Academic Tournament @ Mizzou - Oct. 22, 2016

Post by scphilli »

Field (32/36 as of 10/20/16)

Washington (3 teams, 2 Staff, ? Buzzers)
Tuscumbia (ss) (1 team, 1 staff, 3 buzzers)
Pilot Grove (ss) (3 teams, 1 buzzer)
Warrenton (1 team, 1 buzzer)
Fort Osage (3 teams, 1 staff)
Rock Bridge (1 team, 1 staff)
St. Pius X (1 team, 1 buzzer, 1 staff)
CIS (1 team, 1 buzzer)
Hannibal (2 teams)
Fatima (ss) (1 team, 1 buzzer)
Jefferson City (2 teams, 1 buzzer, 1 staff)
Thomas Jefferson Independent (2 teams, 1 buzzer)
Hermann (ss) (1 team, 1 buzzer, 1 staff)
Hickman (2 teams, 2 buzzers, ? Staff)
Calvary Lutheran (1 team, 1 buzzer, 1 staff)
Ladue (2 teams)
Mexico (1 team)
Moberly (2 teams)
Poplar Bluff (1 team)
Helias (1 team)
Last edited by scphilli on Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:27 pm, edited 23 times in total.

khrum

Post by khrum »

NAQT has assigned us IS-160 for this tournament. Teams should look forward to playing what will be a great set!

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

A couple of items:

First as we are over two thirds full on our initial cap, it would be best to register as soon as possible. We will start a waitlist when necessary and look into expansion.

Second, per this announcement by NAQT:

https://www.naqt.com/hosting/2016-is-re ... ration.jsp

We will be pursuing the 13 packets of 22 q's option.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

One more spot until we hit our first cap is available!

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

The cap has been raised to 30 teams.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Cap is again expanded to 32.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

We are expanding to 36 as is reflected above. I will send the coaches logistics emails once we have confirmations from the Mizzou administration as promptly as I can. If anyone needs invoiced please let me know via the email above.

See you guys soon!

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

All forms and info have been turned in to MSHSAA and PACE. Certification should be imminent. I will send an email to teams no later than Wednesday this week reviewing some logistics and addressing other concerns brought to my attention.

Looking forward to this in 20 days!

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

We are now MSHSAA approved and certified Paltinum by PACE meaning the top 25% of our field will qualify for PACE NSC in Chicago this year!

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

We have had a few openings so if anyone would like to add a squad or get in on this, please email me!

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Washington A defeats Ladue A in the first game of an advantaged final 395-240 to defend their MFAT title! Helias finishes third and Washington B fourth! Stats here

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/4021/

More later!

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Congrats to Washington on their successful title defense and to Ladue for putting up a great challenge in the final; I really appreciated getting the opportunity to read those matches (thanks again, Sean!) My voice is definitely out of quizbowl shape, as anyone who heard it start to fade away during that final will know, but for me it was a really exciting start to what should be another excellent season.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Thanks to all teams for an excellent tournament! You all were great in a wonderful day of play! Thank you to my co-director Itamar Naveh-Benjamin for his work in dealing with the administrative work of the event and the Mizzou team for being excellent staff! Thanks to Matt Chadbourne, Jacob O'Rourke, David Dennis, Jason Loy, Scott Allen, Shelly Swoyer, Stephanie Hull, Kyle Hill, Josh Malecki, Zach Stobart and Charles Hang for taking time out of their day or from not being with their kids to staff the event. You guys made it rock! To all, take care and I will see you down the road!